VA Gov - College Year book pics - black face

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
i'm not seeing a lot of folks defending him. i can't believe he kept this under wraps for so long.
Crazies on both sides are pouring through stuff just looking for nuggets like this. Somebody struck gold for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
What has his track record been in politics wrt helping minorities?
Honestly, he's a doctor, and he emphasized working with/on minority kids during his recent election campaign. At least that is what I recall his campaign ads emphasizing (and being a VMI alum, which is big in the Commonwealth).

I do not think this kills him. He was a college student in the 1980s doing something dumb and insensitive. I never did anything this dumb/insensitive in front of a camera while I was a college student in the 1980s.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
This, however, might wreck Northam's administration:
Gov. Ralph Northam said:
Third-trimester abortions ... are done with the consent of obviously the mother, with consent of the physician, multiple physicians by the way, and it’s done in cases where there may be severe deformities or there may be a fetus that’s nonviable. In this particular example if a mother is in labor, I can tell you exactly what would happen, the infant would be delivered. The infant would be kept comfortable. The infant would be resuscitated if that’s what the mother and the family desired, and then a discussion would ensue between the physicians and the mother. So I think this was blown out of proportion.”
Governor responds to backlash for late-term abortion remarks

Delegate Tran's bill would reduce to one the number of physicians that are needed to certify that a third trimester abortion is needed, and would lower the threshold of "needed" to basically the convenience of the mother. (The committee chairman asked Del. Tran if a mother's mental health were at risk, if the bill would allow an abortion up unit the moment the mother goes into labor, and Tran tried to redefine the question as physical health, but Gilbert corrects her and Tran then says the bill would allow that.)

Northam, in the WTOP radio interview quoted above, changes the subject slightly by asserting that third trimester abortions currently are only performed in cases of "severe deformities" and "nonviability" and goes on to describe how infanticide is handled. That was kind of weird. Now, I do not think if Dr. Northam was to deliver a legless baby (i.e. one with severe deformities) he would ask the mother, "Want me to let that baby die?" But his comments on the WTOP radio interview were vague enough he should (and probably has) clarified that.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I see Democrats & Democrat groups calling for his resignation.
I did not vote for the guy and I would not demand his resignation over the blackface photos (although I would ask him whether he thinks today that the KKK is "funny") and I would not ask for his resignation over this infanticide comments (although I think it is proper to ask him to clarify his comments on WTOP).
I would evaluate the resignation from office issue based on his responses.
If he said, "No, given the opportunity to do that evening over, I would not make a joke of the KKK and no, if a severely deformed but viable baby is delivered, I would not advocate or even allow the murdering through neglect of such an infant," I would accept those clarifications at face value and urge him to get back to work for the people of the Commonwealth.
Tempest in a teacup.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I did not vote for the guy and I would not demand his resignation over the blackface photos (although I would ask him whether he thinks today that the KKK is "funny") and I would not ask for his resignation over this infanticide comments (although I think it is proper to ask him to clarify his comments on WTOP).
I would evaluate the resignation from office issue based on his responses.
If he said, "No, given the opportunity to do that evening over, I would not make a joke of the KKK and no, if a severely deformed but viable baby is delivered, I would not advocate or even allow the murdering through neglect of such an infant," I would accept those clarifications at face value and urge him to get back to work for the people of the Commonwealth.
Tempest in a teacup.
he didn't make "infanticide" comments. that's republican spin.

Republicans accuse Northam, who worked as a pediatric neurologist before his election, of supporting infanticide,
and wrt to his pictures, he is only explaining and clarifying because this came to light. i think he needs to step aside.

Last edited:

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
he didn't make "infanticide" comments. that's republican spin.
Read it again.
Gov. Ralph Northam said:
Third-trimester abortions ... are done with the consent of obviously the mother, with consent of the physician, multiple physicians by the way, and it’s done in cases where there may be severe deformities or there may be a fetus that’s nonviable. In this particular example if a mother is in labor, I can tell you exactly what would happen, the infant would be delivered. The infant would be kept comfortable. The infant would be resuscitated if that’s what the mother and the family desired, and then a discussion would ensue between the physicians and the mother. So I think this was blown out of proportion.”
Northam is drawing a distinction between 'severely deformed" and "nonviable" infants (his words, not mine). "Nonviable" infants do not need to be resuscitated. In fact, resuscitation is impossible for nonviable infants. (For the record Tran's bill does not embrace any such limits for third trimester abortions.)
and wrt to his pictures, he is only explaining and clarifying because this came to light. i think he needs to step aside.
You may get your way. He is my governor and I would place the blackface episode in the larger context of saving the lives and improving the health of probably thousands of children including a large percentage of black children. I have no problem with a stupid college pic especially in light of his subsequent conduct.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.