Question: Vetting presidential candidates - is it time?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I'm serious. I think we need vetting for physical, mental and security grounds, comprehensive. Obviously, the country has suffered through four years of a mentally-ill president, who couldn't pass a vetting on security or mental grounds and probably not physical, despite the self-dictated letter. The Constitution lays out the minimum requirements, but I know of nothing which would prevent additional legislative safeguards being added...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I agree, but would also add that we need to get back to ensuring that there is no way that a sitting president can monetize his position directly, cashing in on the office while sitting in the role. Honestly, I doubt that Trump ever runs if he had not been able to monetize the job in the countless ways that he did.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Unfortunately, it wouldn't have helped much. We knew, or should have known if we were paying attention, what t***p was like and 10's of millions still voted for him TWICE.

Reactions: MobtownK

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
I agree, but would also add that we need to get back to ensuring that there is no way that a sitting president can monetize his position directly, cashing in on the office while sitting in the role. Honestly, I doubt that Trump ever runs if he had not been able to monetize the job in the countless ways that he did.
Yeah anyone serving public office at the Federal level should have to divest in any businesses or investments that could potentially benefit. IMO if they want to invest in the stock market, they should be allowed to only invest in a specially created fund consisting of only US based companies.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Agreed, and I would add Congress as well. I would hope that Congress would pass a law requiring members to place their assets in a double blind trust, so the members do not know who is managing their money and the managers do not know whose money they are managing.
Sen. Loeffler (R, GA) got the classified Covid briefing in March and promptly dumped all her stocks (which were substantial). That is simply wrong.
My view is, if you want to make a ton of money, make a ton of money, but don't go into public service because you want to make a ton of money. Public service should be about, well, serving the public.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I'm serious. I think we need vetting for physical, mental and security grounds, comprehensive. Obviously, the country has suffered through four years of a mentally-ill president, who couldn't pass a vetting on security or mental grounds and probably not physical, despite the self-dictated letter. The Constitution lays out the minimum requirements, but I know of nothing which would prevent additional legislative safeguards being added...
Interesting question. Talk to a shrink and get cleared by an MD?
There is potential for abuse, but it would be an improvement.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I would be in favor of a mandatory physical and mental exam but I don’t know about giving a doctor the power to block someone from running. Make the results public and let the people decide.

FDR probably doesn’t pass a physical (if “likely to live four years” is the definition of passing) if he takes one in 1944.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I've been saying since 1988 (when I started voting) that it needs to be a requirement for candidates BEFORE THE FIRST PRIMARY/CAUCUS vote is cast:
a) present the last ten years of tax returns
b) all student records must be released
c) all military records must be released
d) all health records must be released.

Period.

You don't, you don't get on the ballot, and any write-in votes for you don't count. Period. No discussion, no debate. You have something to hide, you might be compromised and the pawn of a foreign government, so you can stop running right now.

The problem is getting this passed - because they all have something to hide. Yes, this is rumor, but one of the reasons it was suggested (and not just by talk radio or right-wingers) that Clinton would not release his health records (I don't believe he ever did) because he had had a cocaine habit in the 80s and had surgery to his nasal passages that he didn't want anyone to know about. (This of course was actually a MINOR type rumor when it came to the Clintons).

But Thomas Eagleton got disqualified for less psychosis than Donald Trump exhibited every damn day he was a candidate. No, Eagleton should not have been chosen - because a missileer or a SAC commander would have been thrown out of the military for his level of mental illness. But it's ludicrous to realize that the candidates themselves want their VP possibilities to submit to a rectal exam while they themselves hide all kinds of things.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.