Vikings at L'Anse aux Meadows pinpointed to AD 1021.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Interesting story. I went io L'Anse aux Meadows (on the northern tip of Newfoundland) in July 2019. Loved Newfoundland. If it's July and I'm looking at icebergs, I'm in the right place. (For the record, I hate summer's guts.)

Anyway, it appears some cosmic event happened in AD 993, an event that left evidence in the wood growing at the time. Archaeologists found wood the Vikings had cut using metal tools, something the local Indians did not have, and in that wood, they found evidence that the trees were cut down in AD 1021. The fact that the Vikings were in Newfoundland is not new. The precise date of 1021 is new.

Vikings were in North America in 1021, well before Columbus, researchers say

Last edited:

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
They found this in Norway. More evidence they Vikings were in Newfoundland at that time.

View attachment 19944
Well, apparently the date 1021 is not all that new.
L'Anse aux Meadows is an interesting park, if you're in that neck of the woods.
I found Newfies to be extremely friendly and outgoing. A Newfie will it next toy uo on a park bench and strike up a conversation like you two had gone to kindergarten together.
Beautiful province. Here is why is loved it.
Iceberg Goose Cove 2.JPG
This was Goose Cove NL, July 8, 2018. My kind of summer.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Here is a replica sod house at L'Anse aux Meadows.
Sod House LAM 2.JPG
And here is a shot of "Leif Erickson's House, locals described playing on these mounds, believing they were First Nations' sod house remains.
Leif Ericksons Sod House.JPG
Radio carbon dating and finding iron slag on the side indicates that this was not a First Nations site (First Nations did not work iron until Europeans arrived and stayed). It was a Viking site.

Latest threads