War on Education in America

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tug Tide

All-American
Aug 27, 2006
Redneck Riviera, Panama City Beach, FL
Most everyone here is fairly familiar with the DeSantis MO regarding attacking educators.

Here’s a bill from a freshman Rep in Montana state legislature

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
It's sad that they don't even understand the term "theory". Theories are scientific agreed upon explanations based upon the best data and facts rigorously tested by scientists. It's NOT a hypothesis or an educated guess, which is what they are probably thinking.

The Russians and agitprop folks are probably laughing their heads off right now at this bill.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
When the idea that arithmetic and mathematics were racist started gaining traction, I tuned out.
The pearl clutching crowd got in another tizzy over that for pretty much nothing.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
The pearl clutching crowd got in another tizzy over that for pretty much nothing.

funny how the totally above it all crowd falls for it every single time, it's almost like they are a target market

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
As if on cue, an editorial in today’s Wall Street Journal.

Note that Jason Riley is himself black. The last sentence in the column is chilling.

(You get a certain number of articles free. If you’ve already hit that limit, it might be behind a paywall.)

• Thank You
Reactions: CrimsonJazz

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
As if on cue, an editorial in today’s Wall Street Journal.

Note that Jason Riley is himself black. The last sentence in the column is chilling.

(You get a certain number of articles free. If you’ve already hit that limit, it might be behind a paywall.)
I've never gotten as much as one free article from the WSJ. They let you read the first couple of paragraphs then as you scroll down it gives a:

Continue reading your article with
a WSJ membership

View Membership Options
This is the first time this year I've tried to open one of their articles.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Seeing who people have been electing to public office for more than a few years now, this in no way surprises me, except for the fact it hasn’t happened before now.
Seems like the American Dream now is to be the King or Queen of Stupid.

Reactions: Huckleberry and UAH

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — One of Tennessee's most influential Republican lawmakers says the state should stop accepting the nearly $1.8 billion of federal K-12 education dollars that help provide support for low-income students, English learners and students with disabilities.

House Speaker Cameron Sexton told The Associated Press that he has introduced a bill to explore the idea during this year’s legislative session and has begun discussions with Gov. Bill Lee and other key GOP lawmakers.
“Basically, we'll be able to educate the kids how Tennessee sees fit,” Sexton said, pointing that rejecting the money would mean that Tennessee would no longer have “federal government interference."

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
Reactions: Go Bama and 92tide

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al

In math, lessons are more theoretical. Seattle’s recently released proposal includes questions like, “Where does Power and Oppression show up in our math experiences?” and “How is math manipulated to allow inequality and oppression to persist?”
“Nowhere in this document says that math is inherently racist,” she said. “It’s how math is used as a tool for oppression.”

Maybe I'm old fashioned. These topics shouldn't be in a math class. Maybe in a ethnic social studies class.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California

In math, lessons are more theoretical. Seattle’s recently released proposal includes questions like, “Where does Power and Oppression show up in our math experiences?” and “How is math manipulated to allow inequality and oppression to persist?”
“Nowhere in this document says that math is inherently racist,” she said. “It’s how math is used as a tool for oppression.”

Maybe I'm old fashioned. These topics shouldn't be in a math class. Maybe in a ethnic social studies class.

Seattle Public Schools released a draft of new learning objectives that integrate ethnic studies into math, and after conservative news outlets began berating the district.

It’s not the first time the project has been attacked. Some detractors, Au said, don’t understand what ethnic studies is.

A 2016 Stanford University report looked at ethnic-studies classes in San Francisco high schools and found that attendance increased by 21% and GPA increased by 1.4 grade points. There were significant effects on GPA specific to math and science, the study said, and boys and Hispanic students improved the most.

Looks like an effective curriculum.

Reactions: Go Bama and 92tide

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
The concept of equalizing outcomes isn’t new. I experienced it first-hand as a rising senior in high school in 1976.

Tuscaloosa High School was roughly 70% white / 30% black — that mattered as you’ll soon see.

THS was offering a new class called Survey of Mathematics. It was a smattering of various mathematical sub-specialties. Statistics, geodesics, probability, and even computer science such as that existed at the time — anybody remember IBM cards? Anyway, a bunch of my friends and I thought it would be fun and signed up (yes, we were nerdy).

After my schedule was set, word came down that the class had been cancelled. I asked the teacher why. She said that not enough people signed up. I asked how many were needed, and she said 12. I said something was wrong, because I could rattle off 15 that I knew had signed up, and there were probably others I didn’t know about.

She sighed and gave me the straight scoop. Druid High School (at least 90% black) really didn’t have enough students sign up for the class. So because DHS couldn’t have the class, neither could THS.

So rather than (1) offer the class to the DHS students that did sign up, or (2) transport them over to THS to take the class with us, they chose Door #3, threw up their hands and cancelled the whole idea.

So nobody at DHS was helped. I and at least 14 of my friends were denied a pretty cool class. But by God, the offerings were equal.

Still sticks in my craw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.