Was Bugs Bunny the Public Announcer at the Super Dome?

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
He was absolutley terrible......... I kept waiting for him to say he "Shoulda taken that left tuwin in Albequerque"! He made Tony Giles sound like Kieth Jackson!!!!!!!!!
Don't disrespect Bugs he has an Academy Award you know. ;)

Hal Bennett

Suspended
Aug 18, 2008
The guy's name is Jerry Romig -- unless he retired this past year or it was (unlikely) someone else. It was announced in 2007 that this was his 37th year as the Saints PA announcer.

We have lived a good part of our life in both Louisiana and Alabama. They are two different cultures. I have been told by people in Mississippi that I sound like I'm from New Orleans, and I have been told by just about everyone I knew in New Orleans that I sound like a Southerner, or redneck.

rhans405

Oct 23, 2007
Jerry Romig has been the PA announcer for the Saints for as long as I can remember. One of the house cleaning I'd like for the Saints is to get rid of him. Maybe then, they can win.

His accent is a typical YAT (as in "where yat") type accent. The old St. Bernard or Lower 9th ward type accent. A combo of New Orleans and southern type accent. It is quite unique and can be annoying.

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
New Orleans does have it's own signature accent. I think the people who live in Algiers (dats da west bank o de mittippi) sound like Brooklyn NY to me. (and wit almost as much attitude) ;)

banjeaux

All-American
Jun 6, 2007
Slidell, Louisiana
Living in the New Orleans metro for 36 years, I am accustomed to the Nynt Ward dialect. I hated the decibel level of the P.A. System. :eek2: I kept reaching for the remote to mute the commercials. Perhaps, had the score been more favorable, we would not complaint about such minor matters.

:BigA: ROLL TIDE! ROLL!

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
I kept thinking they'd brought in the guy from Mississippi State for a one-night stand.

"Boo-eee (that's "Bowie")...at...right guard, 3 yards..."

I swear Mississippi State has had a "Bowie" at running back every year for 156 years.

MKAlaw4ua9195

3rd Team
Dec 11, 2003
Birmingham
abernathylaw.com
The heck with his accent, although it was annoying. It would have been nice if it even sounded a little like there was someone spotting for him. Moreover, it was apparent that whoever was spotting, and it may have just been him, did no preparation in learning the rosters. It was god awful. Any junior high school PA announcer would do better.

I am going to write a letter to the Sugar Bowl Committee to complain at how bad the announcer was and how now that they choose to show commercials on the jumbotron over the school bands, and then have 2-3 minutes of dead air, it kills the atmosphere (although we did our share by our play). Where was the rock music blaring, etc.?

RKel32

All-SEC
Nov 17, 2004
Madison, AL
Not to mention, where was any pre-game announcements or festivities? It was odd to say the least to see the teams run out of the tunnel with no kind of announcement or buildup. Fireworks are great, but not when the team hasn't even been introduced.

vestamark

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 30, 2007
Birmingham
The PA guy needed some lessons from Simpson Pepper.

I agree, less is more. He was a little talky with an annoying accent and nasaly tone to boot! It was funny to see the Mississippi St reference above. I said the same thing to my wife during the game.

On a positive note, I thought the dome looked pretty good. Very bright inside. Nicer than I remember it from several years back.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.