We may be the first school to have TWO iconic coaches

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I think we maybe the only football program who can legitimately say we have two coaches that were considered "The greatest of all time" at some point in college football.
Rockne and Leahy were considered to be the greatest of all time back then, and it was probably as true as Bryant and then Saban. Bryant replaced Leahy, and Saban replaced Bryant. It is going to take some doing to supplant Saban.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
We have the Top 2 HC's in college football history with Coach Saban overtaking The Bear as the best ever..

What should scare the rest of college football, after Coach Saban retires, all the pieces will be in place for our next HC to continue "The Process" & build off of it setting new records..

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA
How are we going to get Coach Saban's name attached to BDS?

Bryant-Denny-Saban Stadium doesn't have that ring to it. Bryant-Saban-Denny Stadium? Nah...

And I'm not sure if I like Saban Field either. It doesn't seem to be enough...
How about the Nick Saban Walk of Champions? Bryant Denny Stadium - situated between Bryant Drive and Saban Drive?

Last edited:
Reactions: TideEngineer08

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I think we maybe the only football program who can legitimately say we have two coaches that were considered "The greatest of all time" at some point in college football.
My thought as well. I mean, arguably and objectively (when NCs are brought into the equation) CNS and CPB are probably to best ever if we are ranking all-time great coaches.

That's nuts!

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
You might add Wallace Wade and Frank Thomas to that list !
You just took the words out of my mouth. Denny made it possible. Wade got it started. So Thomas continued the process. Bryant came home to Mamma!!!!!!! Stallings!? Saban perfected the PROCESS!!!!!!! So, Denny Wade Thomas Bryant Stallings Saban Stadium or DWTBSSS. No! I'll stick with Bryant-Denny Stadium. Now, we probably do need to add a Saban's Process Museum adjacent to the Bryant Houndstooth Museum.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
If you did a “Mount Rushmore” of CFB coaches, which four would be on it? Two of the four would have to be CPB and CNS.
It gets back to that discussion we had recently of "what makes a great coach?" I think NCs have to be a big part of that discussion. I think CNS is a shoe-in, even more than Coach Bryant, because CNS has won "undisputed" NCs.

But I'd have CNS as the Abraham Lincoln and Coach Bryant as the George Washington. The other two spots are up for debate!

Here's a good article for consideration from Dec. 2019. They had Coach Bryant #1 and CNS #2 at the time.

Reactions: CB4

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I thought about this last night. Every football powerhouse seems to have that one iconic coach that will forever be associated with them. We, of course, have Coach Bryant, while Notre Dame has Knute Rockne, Oklahoma has Bud Wilkinson, Nebraska has Tom Osborne, etc...

The way Coach Saban is going, we might wind up with two truly iconic coaches for all time.
What do you mean "may"????

Also........the other schools you cite ALL have two iconic coaches by their standards......

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I really am thinking that was the intent, but the wording might have been off. To which I would agree. Oklahoma, USC, Notre Dame, Nebraska, and even Clemson have atleast two iconic coaches that most fans know. But perhaps Alabama is the only one that had the GOAT of their generation twice.
1982-2007 is a helluva long time.......

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I thought about this last night. Every football powerhouse seems to have that one iconic coach that will forever be associated with them. We, of course, have Coach Bryant, while Notre Dame has Knute Rockne, Oklahoma has Bud Wilkinson, Nebraska has Tom Osborne, etc...

The way Coach Saban is going, we might wind up with two truly iconic coaches for all time.
I'm confused. We already have more than 2... :)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.