We may be the first school to have TWO iconic coaches

Sep 30, 2002
Knoxville, TN USA
I thought about this last night. Every football powerhouse seems to have that one iconic coach that will forever be associated with them. We, of course, have Coach Bryant, while Notre Dame has Knute Rockne, Oklahoma has Bud Wilkinson, Nebraska has Tom Osborne, etc...

The way Coach Saban is going, we might wind up with two truly iconic coaches for all time.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Notre Dame has had several, as has USCw.

Michigan has had a couple.

I do think we might be the first school to have two different coaches that, at the time they were coaching, were/are the undisputed greatest of all time.

Only debate for that would be Notre Dame with Rockne and Leahy. Both before Bryant's prime.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
Notre Dame has had several, as has USCw.

Michigan has had a couple.

I do think we might be the first school to have two different coaches that, at the time they were coaching, were/are the undisputed greatest of all time.

Only debate for that would be Notre Dame with Rockne and Leahy. Both before Bryant's prime.
While I agree with this, I can't like it due to my utter disdain for ND...

Reactions: B1GTide

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I think we maybe the only football program who can legitimately say we have two coaches that was considered "The greatest of all time" at some point in college football.
I really am thinking that was the intent, but the wording might have been off. To which I would agree. Oklahoma, USC, Notre Dame, Nebraska, and even Clemson have atleast two iconic coaches that most fans know. But perhaps Alabama is the only one that had the GOAT of their generation twice.

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
I thought about this last night. Every football powerhouse seems to have that one iconic coach that will forever be associated with them. We, of course, have Coach Bryant, while Notre Dame has Knute Rockne, Oklahoma has Bud Wilkinson, Nebraska has Tom Osborne, etc...

The way Coach Saban is going, we might wind up with two truly iconic coaches for all time.
We have the two, most iconic coaches in history. One won 6 titles in 25 years.....the other has won 6 titles in 12 years.

As Yoda would say........Might, there is no might.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
How are we going to get Coach Saban's name attached to BDS?

Bryant-Denny-Saban Stadium doesn't have that ring to it. Bryant-Saban-Denny Stadium? Nah...

And I'm not sure if I like Saban Field either. It doesn't seem to be enough...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.