Bama Game Thread: We're in! - College Football Playoff (CFP) Selection Show (12/3/23 | ESPN | Noon ET)

What will be the EXACT order of the 2023 CFP Playoff Teams?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
I don't think that is accurate. You say that they said Arizona would get a bye. Arizona is ranked 14 and did not even play for their conference championship. If it is based on the highest ranked conference champions, then I would think that the four byes would be Michigan, Washington, Texas, and Alabama. Of course, I don't even think they have fully decided how they will organize and place the twelve teams.
I think he is trying to take into account the conference realignment. So for example, in his scenario Texas is an SEC team and gets the automatic SEC champion spot since Texas beat Alabama. I guess he is treating Alabama over UGA as a regular conference game. Basically, it doesn’t translate well.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
There was whining almost from Day One, and it came from Miami. In 2000, they beat Florida State head-to-head on (again!) a missed FG at the end by the Noles. And when FSU got selected by the BCS, they cried and cried, "But we beat them head to head!" Yet Miami had some selective amnesia because they always failed to mention that one-loss WASHINGTON had beaten Miami far worse than they'd beaten FSU. But they'd dismiss that with the old "but you can't use the transitive property/they lost to a 2-loss team/whatever" nonsense.

The BCS flirted with disaster in 1998, 2000, and 2001 - to the point that they had lubricated the argument once the 2003 train wreck happened. And then 2004 was almost like another train crashing into a train wreck just to make sure you knew how bad it was.

I don't think Auburn could have beaten USC that year, but it would have been a damned sight more interesting than whatever that was Oklahoma did in that game.
Exactly!

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
I don't think Auburn could have beaten USC that year, but it would have been a damned sight more interesting than whatever that was Oklahoma did in that game.
IIrc Auburn played USC the year before at Auburn, and lost but was competitive

ETA. No so competitive. 23-0 USC. But Auburn had 3 turnovers.

Last edited:

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
IIrc Auburn played USC the year before at Auburn, and lost but was competitive

ETA. No so competitive. 23-0 USC. But Auburn had 3 turnovers.
I watched that game and it was embarrassing for AU. I agree that this game played a part in AU being left out in 04. USC went into AU's house when they supposedly had a very good team, and humiliated them worse than the score indicated. I believe it affected AU for the rest of the year.

Latest threads