Game Thread: West Virginia vs Oklahoma (ABC)

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I honestly had no problem with the Sooners until the Sugar Bowl. Yes they have undeserved hype since 2001 and led to multiple sham championships in college football. But their fans will not let the Sugar Bowl die. I swear Oklahoma is on par with South Carolina in this regard.

I mean @selmaborntidefan and @TexasBama have to live in close proximity to Oklahoma fans. I doubt they often cheer for Oklahoma.

Last edited:

scrybe

3rd Team
Sep 6, 2019
It's been a while since I've heard any Oklahoma fan talk about that Sugar Bowl win over Bama. And, sorry, I don't follow you on those multiple sham college football championships since 2001. Sadly, OU's last title came at the conclusion of the 2000 season.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
It's been a while since I've heard any Oklahoma fan talk about that Sugar Bowl win over Bama.
Well you aren’t an Alabama fan. We hear it constantly from your fan base

And, sorry, I don't follow you on those multiple sham college football championships since 2001.
2003 Oklahoma got blown out in the conference championship but played for a NC instead of the the two best teams

2004 Oklahoma plays Bowling green and gets rewarded a national championship opportunity over Auburn

2008 Texas whipped Oklahoma and lost on the road in the last seconds vs Texas Tech. But a stupid Big XII tie breaker awards Oklahoma the title opportunity over the clearly better team. Hell you could even make the case that Alabama and Texas were the only deserving teams to face Florida.

2015 Oklahoma loses to a 5 win team but is rewarded a spot over Ohio St

Show me another team in the country that has gotten that many unearned national championship opportunities after getting blown out on a consistent basis.

Sadly, OU's last title came at the conclusion of the 2000 season.
Yet you are still being rewarded for it. How many top 5 preseason rankings, and CFP placements have we seen benefit Oklahoma for no reason? Heck last year you were a top 10 team with two bad losses.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Didn't realize there was so much hate for the Sooners among the Bama fans.

And I agree we have some douche fans. But then again, every team's got a few.
Look, I may be going a little bit over the top in the heat of the game, so let me clarify my own issues here.

I have some good friends, salt of the earth folks, who are Sooners (including a few who actually attended there or graduated from there). And kind of like with Ohio State, it's more of a "fear they might actually beat us at times" given that OU is one of the few teams with a winning record against us. But I can give you a list of grievances, too.

Barry Switzer running BYU's schedule into the ground to say his team should be champs when OU didn't exactly play a bunch of world beaters, either, in 1984.

The fact OU had no damned business playing for the 1985 national title that they won. Lost to Miami - AT HOME - by double digits and stayed ahead of them pretty much all year and then get the title shot. And nowadays, I prefer y'all to the Miami of that era fwiw, but it was still wrong.

The long running history from Switzer right through Riley of blasting teams far beyond what is necessary to win games. I'll let Riley slide for 2017-18 because of his Swiss cheese defenses and it was necessary, but it always amused me how when OU or Nebraska pumped 80 points on somebody, it was "wow!" but when Miami did it, the press went, "But Jimmy, why did you run up the score?"

The "Oklahoma privilege" of 2001-2010 pretty much. Look, I understand y'all ain't to blame for the rules being as they are, but it sure was irriating to see the same school: a) get into a national title game in 2003 it had no business playing; b) doing the same thing in 2008 (at least this one I can kinda get but really). I'll even grant we have such "privilege" now, but nobody dared call it that back then.

The fact Bob Stoops is a Plan A coach whose entire career is largely, "I've got better athletes than the opposition, so our entire plan is to overwhelm them in the first ten minutes. If we don't do that, I don't know what to do!" This from a so-called all-time great who lost far more than he won.

The fact the same guy wants to have whatever animus against the SEC - and a large cadre of their fans absolutely would not SHUT THE HELL UP about the 2014 Sugar Bowl. Yeah, we get it, OU won. But my God, we had to hear about that nonsense in 2015-16-17-18 like it was a current event.

This Heisman Trophy crap, and particularly fans who will defend that their SYSTEM - yes, SYSTEM - is dismissed when it's other teams but considered irrelevant when it's Oklahoma. Go look at the numbers of a bunch of the Texas Tech quarteracks. They largely (through the years) dwarfed most of the OU QBs (Bradford excluded).

But it was Texas Tech, see? And since their team was not as good as Oklahoma, well, their player gets no consideration. Then the same morons defending this will dismiss ALABAMA Heisman candidates with, "Yeah but if you took Ingram/Richardson/AJ/Amari/Henry/Tua/Mac/Devonta/Najee off Alabama, they'd still win the national title."

Jalen Hurts could not hit the broad side of a barn with a machine gun on full auto if he was standing inside in Tuscaloosa- but he goes to Oklahoma and IN THEIR SYSTEM suddenly puts up eye-popping stats and I hear OU fans going with the "Saban don't know how to develop a quarterback" and "he's better here."

No, he's playing in a defense optional league with nothing but timing routes and superior athletes compared to the rest of the conference (but still can't run the table). And I think the love for Hurts is universal at Alabama but to be talked down to by A LARGE NUMBER of other Sooner fans doesn't really set well with a lot of us.

Now, I've said enough. I like you well enough, but yeah, there's a lot of animus built up through a lot of condescension through the years.

I HATE Penn State because of what they did; I don't hate Oklahoma like that.
I HATE Tennessee because of what they did, and I don't hate Oklahoma like that, either.
I probably don't hate Auburn as bad as most folks here do, but I'm sick of their high school offenses that quite frankly look a lot like Big 12 offenses (Malzahn era). I'm sick of their running trick plays because they can't beat teams straightforward. (I don't even hold the 2013 IB against them - give them credit for some smarts and for executing at the right time).

So yeah, "hate" here is more like my "fear and loathing" of Ohio State than it is anything else, but the math formula I still see is that the mouth of a Sooner or Buckeye fan in terms of volume is inversely proportional to their actual knowledge of the situation they're discussing, too.

Peace.

Reactions: 81usaf92

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I honestly had no problem with the Sooners until the Sugar Bowl. Yes they have undeserved hype since 2001 and led to multiple sham championships in college football. But their fans will not let the Sugar Bowl die. I swear Oklahoma is on par with South Carolina in this regard.
I've not really heard that many Sooner fans talk about the SB.

I just happen to know a few and literally every single one of them talks as if they're on par with Bama because they win their conference championship annually. It's never-ending and therefore incredibly annoying.

Most all of our OU posters here are fantastic, though we do have a couple who love to give back-handed compliments and complain when people call them out. They'll say things like "this place has changed" when in reality it's just that we're no longer the 'weaker' program and are tired of being talked to as such.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I've not really heard that many Sooner fans talk about the SB.

I just happen to know a few and literally every single one of them talks as if they're on par with Bama because they win their conference championship annually. It's never-ending and therefore incredibly annoying.

Most all of our OU posters here are fantastic, though we do have a couple who love to give back-handed compliments and complain when people call them out. They'll say things like "this place has changed" when in reality it's just that we're no longer the 'weaker' program and are tired of being talked to as such.
Also take in account Ive lived in Nebraska and have been in and out of Missouri. So I’ve dealt with a lot of Sooners.

No they aren’t bad as a fan base like Nebraska or Tennessee. But they are closer to Texas than what many are willing to admit. Not full Texas but there is a lot of that “big chest and chicken legs” kinda bravado. They are classy but so is Texas for the most part.

The biggest issue about the Sugar Bowl with their fans is that they felt that we didn’t “bend the knee” to them. They felt that Alabama fans didn’t give them enough credit.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
It's been a while since I've heard any Oklahoma fan talk about that Sugar Bowl win over Bama.
Well it was non-stop here right up until the moment Kyler got yanked down early in that game in 2018 (I'm in the Dallas area).

To be fair - y'all are nowhere near as bad as Texas fans, and I don't impose this on you, either.

And, sorry, I don't follow you on those multiple sham college football championships since 2001. Sadly, OU's last title came at the conclusion of the 2000 season.
I see 81 has covered it a lot, and as I noted - we can't blame YOU THE FANS for the quirks, and I can't exactly expect B2 Bob (his coaching is so stealth) to turn down a big game invitation to his own killing.

The REALLY sore spot is 2003.
And then - while it was popular here - Auburn kinda got hosed out of any chance in 2004, too.

Oklahoma starts at #1 and doesn't even play until late September
UNRANKED Miami blows into Norman and ends Aikman's career and walks off with a 27-14 win.
Next ranking? OU drops from 3 to 10, five spots ahead of...Miami (How the hell?)
Auburn, otoh, dropped from 1 all the way down to 14 by losing to unranked Tennessee ON THE ROAD by 18
Who actually had the better loss? Well, Tennessee did whip Miami, 35-7, so you tell me?

And yet OU because of the higher ranking got to play Penn State and won the national title.

The problem a lot of us have isn't that this happens - it's that it happens ALL THE TIME. OU gets an Alabama Saban Era mulligan pretty much at all times save the Schnelly-Blake era.

Reactions: 81usaf92

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Look, I may be going a little bit over the top in the heat of the game, so let me clarify my own issues here.

I have some good friends, salt of the earth folks, who are Sooners (including a few who actually attended there or graduated from there). And kind of like with Ohio State, it's more of a "fear they might actually beat us at times" given that OU is one of the few teams with a winning record against us. But I can give you a list of grievances, too.

Barry Switzer running BYU's schedule into the ground to say his team should be champs when OU didn't exactly play a bunch of world beaters, either, in 1984.

The fact OU had no damned business playing for the 1985 national title that they won. Lost to Miami - AT HOME - by double digits and stayed ahead of them pretty much all year and then get the title shot. And nowadays, I prefer y'all to the Miami of that era fwiw, but it was still wrong.

The long running history from Switzer right through Riley of blasting teams far beyond what is necessary to win games. I'll let Riley slide for 2017-18 because of his Swiss cheese defenses and it was necessary, but it always amused me how when OU or Nebraska pumped 80 points on somebody, it was "wow!" but when Miami did it, the press went, "But Jimmy, why did you run up the score?"

The "Oklahoma privilege" of 2001-2010 pretty much. Look, I understand y'all ain't to blame for the rules being as they are, but it sure was irriating to see the same school: a) get into a national title game in 2003 it had no business playing; b) doing the same thing in 2008 (at least this one I can kinda get but really). I'll even grant we have such "privilege" now, but nobody dared call it that back then.

The fact Bob Stoops is a Plan A coach whose entire career is largely, "I've got better athletes than the opposition, so our entire plan is to overwhelm them in the first ten minutes. If we don't do that, I don't know what to do!" This from a so-called all-time great who lost far more than he won.

The fact the same guy wants to have whatever animus against the SEC - and a large cadre of their fans absolutely would not SHUT THE HELL UP about the 2014 Sugar Bowl. Yeah, we get it, OU won. But my God, we had to hear about that nonsense in 2015-16-17-18 like it was a current event.

This Heisman Trophy crap, and particularly fans who will defend that their SYSTEM - yes, SYSTEM - is dismissed when it's other teams but considered irrelevant when it's Oklahoma. Go look at the numbers of a bunch of the Texas Tech quarteracks. They largely (through the years) dwarfed most of the OU QBs (Bradford excluded).

But it was Texas Tech, see? And since their team was not as good as Oklahoma, well, their player gets no consideration. Then the same morons defending this will dismiss ALABAMA Heisman candidates with, "Yeah but if you took Ingram/Richardson/AJ/Amari/Henry/Tua/Mac/Devonta/Najee off Alabama, they'd still win the national title."

Jalen Hurts could not hit the broad side of a barn with a machine gun on full auto if he was standing inside in Tuscaloosa- but he goes to Oklahoma and IN THEIR SYSTEM suddenly puts up eye-popping stats and I hear OU fans going with the "Saban don't know how to develop a quarterback" and "he's better here."

No, he's playing in a defense optional league with nothing but timing routes and superior athletes compared to the rest of the conference (but still can't run the table). And I think the love for Hurts is universal at Alabama but to be talked down to by A LARGE NUMBER of other Sooner fans doesn't really set well with a lot of us.

Now, I've said enough. I like you well enough, but yeah, there's a lot of animus built up through a lot of condescension through the years.

I HATE Penn State because of what they did; I don't hate Oklahoma like that.
I HATE Tennessee because of what they did, and I don't hate Oklahoma like that, either.
I probably don't hate Auburn as bad as most folks here do, but I'm sick of their high school offenses that quite frankly look a lot like Big 12 offenses (Malzahn era). I'm sick of their running trick plays because they can't beat teams straightforward. (I don't even hold the 2013 IB against them - give them credit for some smarts and for executing at the right time).

So yeah, "hate" here is more like my "fear and loathing" of Ohio State than it is anything else, but the math formula I still see is that the mouth of a Sooner or Buckeye fan in terms of volume is inversely proportional to their actual knowledge of the situation they're discussing, too.

Peace.
That’s pretty much my beef with Oklahoma. I really think “hatred” may be extreme but I am growing tired of seeing the same thing and hearing from Oklahoma fans at how great they are only for them to crap the bed. Living in the Midwest amongst them was very difficult and many still do bring up the 2013 Sugar Bowl up like South Carolina brings up the 2010 game. I would expect it from the latter because they are a bottom feeder but from the former I wouldn’t

teams I don’t like the most in order

1) Tennessee
2) Georgia
3) Clemson
4) Nebraska
5) Oklahoma
6) Auburn
7) LSU

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
I'll address this to the 50 percent of Alabama fans who love OU: I'm pretty fond of Bama as well. :LOL:
I don't hate OU. I kind of like them. I remember when I was a kid (1960's) when the OU-Neb game was must-see TV for every football fan. I'll admit that, later, the smugness of Big Game Bob was pretty off-putting for me, but I never hated the program. These days, I don't really pay much attention to Riley, as everything football doesn't have quite as high a priority in my life as it did when I was a younger man. I like seeing all the old traditional bigtime schools have strong football programs.

Reactions: TideEngineer08

scrybe

3rd Team
Sep 6, 2019
Alabama has been the preeminent football program in the nation for more than a decade. Oklahoma has been in that position previously, but it's been quite some time.

Perhaps my friends/associates are a different type of Sooner fan than you guys are used to hearing from.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.