What Are Clemson's Weaknesses?

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
Getting back to the original question, one thing you notice is that teams commit lots of penalties against Clemson.

Auburn - 9
Louisville - 11
NC State - 13
FSU - 13
VT - 8
OSU - 8

The Pitt loss? They committed just 3. I don't think it's any stretch to say that Clemson is sitting with at least three losses and not in Tampa on Monday night if teams don't shoot themselves in the foot over and over. If we stay disciplined and don't give them free yardage, we should be okay.
Which is to say we cannot play like we did in Atlanta on Saturday afternoon. Stupid penalties and turnovers spell doom in a game like this. Perhaps we got all that out of our system.

MobileBama84

Scout Team
Aug 30, 2016
Daphne, AL
Many of Deshaun's down-field passes I have seen this year are thrown without the WR being open. They are more "throw it up and go get it" passes. Strong CB play by Bama and keeping their eye on the football should really be in our favor. I really think we will have multiple interceptions in this game. Our secondary will be much more prepared than last year's. Also, having Anthony Averett who is taller (6' 0") and has been a lock-down corner all year, in place of Cyrus Jones (5' 10") should pay dividends against Clemson's WR's.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
The only score of the night for Washington happened because we didn't do this. That 3rd and long play that Browning took off on when we didn't have anyone in the middle of the field extended that drive. If we would have had the gaps covered, they may not have even sniffed the endzone. I thought when I saw nobody in the middle he would do that and he did. I never noticed it anymore during the game though. Maybe we didn't get spread out like on that play or maybe the coaches harped to the d-line to push the pocket instead of allowing the o-line to just allow them to fan out.
True, but we didn't have a spy or containment scheme vs Browning because he isn't really a threat to run. He made 1 play with his legs the entire game. We should either have a spy or a better containment gameplan vs Watson. IOW, the defensive strategy will probably be a lot different. Especially on passing downs. I can't imagine we'll just rush 4 and have everyone else play man to man with their backs to Watson. That's exactly what happened on that Browning scramble..

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
True, but we didn't have a spy or containment scheme vs Browning because he isn't really a threat to run. He made 1 play with his legs the entire game. We should either have a spy or a better containment gameplan vs Watson. IOW, the defensive strategy will probably be a lot different. Especially on passing downs. I can't imagine we'll just rush 4 and have everyone else play man to man with their backs to Watson. That's exactly what happened on that Browning scramble..
I think even I could have made yardage on that play, with that gaping hole in the middle...

BamaBoySince89

All-American
Aug 13, 2016
Harvest, AL
Getting back to the original question, one thing you notice is that teams commit lots of penalties against Clemson.

Auburn - 9
Louisville - 11
NC State - 13
FSU - 13
VT - 8
OSU - 8

The Pitt loss? They committed just 3. I don't think it's any stretch to say that Clemson is sitting with at least three losses and not in Tampa on Monday night if teams don't shoot themselves in the foot over and over. If we stay disciplined and don't give them free yardage, we should be okay.
With the penalties we had against UW, that could be cause for concern. I just hope we are focused and can avoid the mental errors that become drive killers/opportunities for the opponent

"Roll Tide"

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I say this far too often, I know, but bank on it. The team that wins this game will:

a) be able to run the ball
b) be able to stop the run
c) win the turnover battle

Coach Bryant often said that THREE 15-yard penalties loses you a football game against any team. Two loses you against a good team. And in a REALLY close game with a REALLY good team - ONE will lose you the game.

Also - if Watson thinks freshman Minkah Fitzpatrick is the guy in coverage.....well, just let him try.

If Eddie were not hurt, I WOULD predict a blowout, but we have some vulnerabilities in the secondary IF Watson has time to throw..and he's good enough to make time with his mobility at least somewhat.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Four times this year they gave up less than than seven points in a win.
The next week, after such a stellar defensive performance, they gave up an average of 38 points.
So "consistency" isn't one of their strengths.
Yes, but it has inflated their defensive numbers.

Let's take a look:

SC State (0) - not even worth talking about
Ga Tech (7) -
Boston College (10) - the only offense in CFB worse than BC is Rutgers.
Syracuse (0) - ranked 90th at 25.7 ppg......then remember that they scored 61 in their bowl game, meaning that in the other games their ppg was 22.4
South Carolina (7) - of course, Vandy only gave up ten to the same team. Anybody think Vandy has a great defense? Florida held SCAR to seven points, too. Too bad Alabama didn't play Florida to see how that works out. SCAR has the worst offense in the SEC. Kentucky - who might I remind everyone BEAT Louisville, who LSU killed but gave Clemson all they could handle.....held SCAR to ten.

The same Kentucky that the Tide lackadaisically put 34 points on without even trying it seemed.

As I noted before the Buckeyes game - they give a truckload of points to teams who SCORE a truckload of points. Auburn was a bit of an exception but that was pre-Pettway peak. Ohio State is the real anomaly. In all the other big point offenses they faced, Clemson has basically surrendered the average that team gets.

I'm simply saying I suspect their defensive numbers are at least a tad inflated by inferior competition.

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
I say this far too often, I know, but bank on it. The team that wins this game will:

a) be able to run the ball
b) be able to stop the run
c) win the turnover battle

If Eddie were not hurt, I WOULD predict a blowout, but we have some vulnerabilities in the secondary IF Watson has time to throw..and he's good enough to make time with his mobility at least somewhat.
Just came to ask this (and saw Selma's post already pointing at the topic), what do people who have watched Clemson think about their O-line as it matches up against our pass rush? I haven't watched much of them this year so I don't have any good idea, but it seems like if Watson has time they can really score, but if he's being moved and spied they will make mistakes.

BTW, I saw earlier posts saying that we should not expect a repeat performance from DW. I think that is naive; he is very capable of having a great game again. It's up to our defense to prevent that from happening.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL

Let's take a look:

Ga Tech (7) -
Syracuse (0) - ranked 90th at 25.7 ppg......then remember that they scored 61 in their bowl game, meaning that in the other games their ppg was 22.4
South Carolina (7) - of course, Vandy only gave up ten to the same team. Anybody think Vandy has a great defense? Florida held SCAR to seven points, too. Too bad Alabama didn't play Florida to see how that works out. SCAR has the worst offense in the SEC. Kentucky - who might I remind everyone BEAT Louisville, who LSU killed but gave Clemson all they could handle.....held SCAR to ten.

The same Kentucky that the Tide lackadaisically put 34 points on without even trying it seemed.

As I noted before the Buckeyes game - they give a truckload of points to teams who SCORE a truckload of points. Auburn was a bit of an exception but that was pre-Pettway peak. Ohio State is the real anomaly. In all the other big point offenses they faced, Clemson has basically surrendered the average that team gets.

I'm simply saying I suspect their defensive numbers are at least a tad inflated by inferior competition.
Further evidence of this:

Somewhere in this thread (or perhaps another one) it was mentioned that Clemson holds opponents to 60~% of their rushing average where we have held opponents to less than 30% of their average.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

Let's take a look:

Ga Tech (7) -

My point was--When they've given up fewer than seven one week, they've averaged giving up 38 points the next week.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
BTW, I saw earlier posts saying that we should not expect a repeat performance from DW. I think that is naive; he is very capable of having a great game again. It's up to our defense to prevent that from happening.
Watson is a superb player, but even for him the championship game performance was extraordinary.

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland
Not true, our last TD was an 8 play 75 yard drive that took 3:33 off the clock. That doesn't count as a sustained drive? The FG early in the 4th capped off an 8 play, 64 yard drive. The TD in the 2nd quarter came on a 7 play, 42 yard drive (don't punish the O because the D INT at the 42). To say we had no sustained drives is a bit miss leading IMO. Yes, we had plenty of big plays but, we also had a few nice drives as well.
Plus Venables runs a gambling risk-reward defense, forcing lots of negative yardage plays and giving up big plays. The lack of ball control was a byproduct of clemson's gambling D. Patience on offense is key to beating Clemson D. Don't panic like OSU did after going down 10-0. clemson DL is legit and has depth. LBs tough against run and nasty on blitz, but have difficulty in pass coverage. Tankersly very good in secondary, but others are suspect in coverage.

clemson WR corp arguably best in nation, no holes there. Williams may be best WR in nation, teams who try to man him pay a dear price.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
With the penalties we had against UW, that could be cause for concern. I just hope we are focused and can avoid the mental errors that become drive killers/opportunities for the opponent

"Roll Tide"
im guessing a lot of that had to do with lane being out to lunch. the o was uncharacteristically off saturday and folks were very obviously not on the same page

BamaInMo1

All-American
Oct 27, 2006
Cumming, GA
One inconvenient truth on our end. We did not have a single sustained drive against Clemson last year. Not one. Every score occurred or followed a really big play. We talk about granding away and keeping the ball away from Watson. But we haven't shown we can do that against Venables' defense. We can't count on uncovered receivers and kick returns this time around.
I don't really think you can establish a "trend" based on one game.
Neither team is the same as last year.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.