What are you reading right now (II)?

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
Alone at Dawn by Dan Schilling

This is the story of how John Chapman earned his Medal of Honor (actually qualifying for two) during Operation Anaconda in the early days of the war in Afghanistan. The video below provides the incredible details, as this is the first time such heroism was caught on video.

Books like this are tough to read. Almost without exception, I have the same range of emotions. Pride in the men and women who train to be elite and who willingly put themselves in harm's way. Sadness for the family and friends they leave behind. Anger because politicians (actual or senior military leaders who behave like politicians) who choose their ego over the advice of people doing the actual fighting. Here the brass rushed to put additional troops into the meat grinder for no good reason. Seven of the best died so the rear echelon could get some reflected glory.

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Thank You
Reactions: seebell and Go Bama

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Alone at Dawn by Dan Schilling

This is the story of how John Chapman earned his Medal of Honor (actually qualifying for two) during Operation Anaconda in the early days of the war in Afghanistan. The video below provides the incredible details, as this is the first time such heroism was caught on video.

Books like this are tough to read. Almost without exception, I have the same range of emotions. Pride in the men and women who train to be elite and who willingly put themselves in harm's way. Sadness for the family and friends they leave behind. Anger because politicians (actual or senior military leaders who behave like politicians) who choose their ego over the advice of people doing the actual fighting. Here the brass rushed to put additional troops into the meat grinder for no good reason. Seven of the best died so the rear echelon could get some reflected glory.
Wow!That is an amazing video. Thank you for sharing. I'll have to read the book.

Reactions: Bodhisattva

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Wow!That is an amazing video. Thank you for sharing. I'll have to read the book.
I remember hearing about Neil Roberts falling out of the first helicopter and the bloody attempt by Chapman and others to rescue him. The details that were eventually pieced together are almost unbelievable. As I said, it is a tough read; I had to put it down a couple of times. God bless the guys.

Reactions: Go Bama

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
I'm about half way through Shogun by James Clavell. So far, I'm enjoying it. I haven't watched Game of Thrones, but it seems like GoT before GoT.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Lonesome Dove was an incredible miniseries, and I've watched it several times. Haven't read the book or its sequel (Streets of Laredo) or prequels (Dead Man's Walk and Comanche Moon). They are on my list, but my ability to check books off the list is always outstripped by my additions to the list. Anyone read the other books in the series? Should the series be read in chronological order or publication order?

Last edited:

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
Lonesome Dove was an incredible miniseries, and I've watched it several times. Haven't read the book or its sequel (Streets of Laredo) or prequels (Dead Man's Walk and Comanche Moon). They are on my list, but my ability to check books off the list is always outstripped by my additions to the list. Anyone read the other books in the series? Should the series be read in chronological order or publication order?
I've read them all. I would not read them in chronological order. I would go LD, Laredo, whichever one is when they were teenagers, and finally the one where they are early 30's.

I think it was Comanche Moon that I liked almost as much as LD.

I'll find that podcast and link it here. It really went into the literary aspects of it.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I love and own the miniseries. Your post made me curious because I am interested in reading the books also. There are conflicting reviews on Amazon. My take is that people agree Lonesome Dove is the best in the series. Those that enjoyed the other books recommended reading in chronological order. Those that didn't really care for the other books recommended reading Lonesome Dove first.

Reactions: Bodhisattva

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.