What are your top 5 football movies of all time?

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
Well Junction Boys is a bull crap story told by a criminal who was seeking to character assassinate Bear Bryant.
From Wikipedia, emphasis mine

"In 2003, Dent was sentenced to eight years in prison under a plea agreement with Brazos County, Texas prosecutors for violating his drunk driving probation. In 2015, Dent was sentenced to ten years in prison after jumping bail following his 10th conviction for drunk driving.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
From Wikipedia, emphasis mine

"In 2003, Dent was sentenced to eight years in prison under a plea agreement with Brazos County, Texas prosecutors for violating his drunk driving probation. In 2015, Dent was sentenced to ten years in prison after jumping bail following his 10th conviction for drunk driving.
Its funny how they convinced him to come back from Mexico after he fled.... But good god how many DUI convictions does it take to put you under a jail in Texas?

Reactions: TexasBama

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
They probably told him he was in the US and to head north to Mexico

Soon after Dent disappeared, private investigators dispatched by an aggrieved bail bondswoman searched for him as he evaded arrest warrants in Collin and Williamson counties.

The investigators finally located Dent in Mexico. In one attempt to lure Dent back to the U.S. for a quick arrest, Williamson County bondswoman Jessica Zak hired a woman to befriend him online as a prospective paramour.

Zak had given up on Dent being brought to justice and was prepared to write off her losses on the $20,000 bond. Then, on Jan. 26, Dent was nabbed by agents with U.S. Customs and Border Protection at the Otay Mesa Port of Entry in San Diego.

MILEHIGHTIDE

1st Team
Apr 9, 2011
Well Junction Boys is a bull crap story told by a criminal who was seeking to character assassinate Bear Bryant. Ask @TexasBama and @selmaborntidefan about mr Dent. I just can not recommend that book and movie after reading what the people who went through it and knowing the shadiness of the author. Ask yourself…. “Why did Gene Stallings not sign off on the movie and immediately gather up people to do a documentary”.
Was not voting just initially or primarily saying surprised I did not see more Rudy votes. Then it made me remember several other movies that had limited votes and those were the ones I referenced. For what it’s worth, I was not meaning to upset you and I forgot about the junction boys portrayal. I have not seen every or remember every movie voted on but again those that I mentioned had limited votes, including the junction boys. I was not necessarily going for accuracy, stability, oscar worthy screenplays or performances ie. Gary Busey is not the most stable person. I also asked about ballers which is not even a movie.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Was not voting just initially or primarily saying surprised I did not see more Rudy votes. Then it made me remember several other movies that had limited votes and those were the ones I referenced. For what it’s worth, I was not meaning to upset you and I forgot about the junction boys portrayal. I have not seen every or remember every movie voted on but again those that I mentioned had limited votes, including the junction boys. I was not necessarily going for accuracy, stability, oscar worthy screenplays or performances ie. Gary Busey is not the most stable person. I also asked about ballers which is not even a movie.
Well most people here know Jim Dent wrote Junction Boys to shame CPB and push his own career, and many didn’t find the movie anything more than a regurgitation of that narrative. So most Bama fans don’t like it.

Rudy is about a Notre Dame player, and a myth about South Bend lore. So it’s not going to be popular here.

• Thank You
Reactions: TexasBama

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Weird fact: The actor that played the prisoner on work release is now actually in prison in real life.
Weird fact: the guy who oversaw a botched attempted murder of Christopher Moltisanti, a capo, in "The Sopranos" went to prison in real life for...a botched robbery and attempted murder of a cop-uh in real life.

Weirder fact: Jimmy Carter is the only President to be brought home to a regular house and move in his old age into a log cabin.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
How have I seen only one rudy vote. Are there that many domer haters in here. Very few waterboy, namath, radio, and woodlawn. Seriously no Bear, The Junction Boys? Also, can we include a series like ballers?
I never saw "Rudy," but here's the problem with it: that used to happen almost every year at almost every school, it was just a big deal because he was to Notre Damn Dame, that's all.

Now let's talk about "The Bear" for a moment and those who don't know what I mean, we are NOT talking about that classic movie from around 1989 where a bear wanders all throughout Canada or whatever. We're talking about a 1984 movie that starred Gary Busey as Coach Bryant and the late Jon-Erik Hexum as Pat Trammell. And it was by all accounts a mess at the time it came out and was cursed by some just awful luck.

For starters, Gary Busey as Coach Bryant would be about like me trying to play Andre the Giant in his biopic. The movie interspersed real footage of Coach Bryant with Busey in the "now" role - and it was so obvious you'd have thought you was watching Roger Rabbit with all the Toon scenes. But look at this timeline and see how awful it really was.

August 26, 1984 - Mary Harmon Bryant, whose family had zero involvement with the film and IIRC thought it was way too soon to be making a movie about the coach, passed away at 68.

September 28, 1984 - "The Bear" is released in theatres.

October 12, 1984 - Jon-Erik Hexum, who is a matinee idol in the movie and portrays Pat Trammell as if he's one of those pictures that comes in the wallet when you buy it, shoots himself in the head with a blank cartridge on the set of the action thriller TV show "Cover Up" because he doesn't know firing blanks at your head expels stuff. He dies six days later when the movie has been in theatres for less than three weeks.

Producer Larry G. Spangler recalled the movie with plans to make Bryant more of a family guy, but it was a box office flop and fans who practically worshipped Bryant were disappointed. The movie was so bad that Busey publicly apologized to the state of Alabama, even though it's not like he did anything wrong.

Back in the 80s, you could not find this movie on video ANYWHERE. It was like Jimmy Hoffa, it completely vanished. I finally saw it in 2004, and it was like a dramatic version of SNL sketches concocted together with no real destination other than to hope Alabama fans lined up six deep to view it six times each.

Oh - and Alabama starting the 1984 season 1-4 didn't exactly help the mood of Tide fans, either.

I'll address 81's points about Jim Dent "Can" in the next post.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Well Junction Boys is a bull crap story told by a criminal who was seeking to character assassinate Bear Bryant. Ask @TexasBama and @selmaborntidefan about mr Dent. I just can not recommend that book and movie after reading what the people who went through it and knowing the shadiness of the author. Ask yourself…. “Why did Gene Stallings not sign off on the movie and immediately gather up people to do a documentary”.
If you gave me a gun with two bullets in it in a room with Jim Dent and Dennis Franchione, I'd shoot Dent twice.

(Note: if the FBI or ABI or Secret Service is reading this, the above line is sarcastic and meant solely to communicate the fact that I greatly despise one despicable human being more than I do the other. I'd never aim at one of these two Texas twits - well, not without making sure I had a knife to put in their hands afterwards, but I digress).

Jim Dent is a typical, loudmouthed Texas blowhard, all hat and literally no cattle. With a punchable face and a police record that would compete with Lawrence Phillips until his final crime, Dent looks like the stereotype of the over-the-top weasel who doubles down over and over again thinking he's some sort of Einstein of blackjack when the only blackjack he understands is the dark label on the whiskey, replete with multiple DUIs and more prison time than OJ Simpson.

I watched that shlockmeister and his feces eating grin on the whole "Junction Boys" controversy. He practices handicapped parking by attaching his SMU degree to the rearview mirror. He got called out for inaccuracies in his book. And like every other Texan you know, he was duck and dodge and change the subject and "Gig 'Em" and told lies he knew were lies.

"The Junction Boys" IS a pretty good movie, but I can't enjoy it because Jim Dent has more situational ethics than Reverend Leroy (Flip Wilson) when he goes to the 13th floor of a hotel in Vegas as a minister because "there are fallen women" in Vegas and his ministerial plan is "to pick 'em up!"

Dent - a journalist mind you - reported in his book that one of the players whom he alleged Coach Bryant head-butted was dead. Okay, it was before the Internet was a big thing, but you'd expect him to be more sure of something like this when the guy he wrote was dead lived less than 1/2 hour away from Dent in the DFW Metroplex. Even after the guy told Dent he had A BUNCH OF STUFF in his book wrong, Dent insisted he had verified that story with 4 or 5 unnamed witnesses (you'd think journalist would have the recordings on tape, but you're also assuming Jim Dent gives a damn about the truth). Not only that, but Dent is such a typical Texan and classless yutz that when the man told him he had the story about HIMSELF wrong, Dent attacked the man with, "Well, why did he wait 3 years to challenge it?"

Uh, because his life didn't revolve around your worthless book, bozo.

Player after player from that Aggies team said Dent was a clueless charlatan and despite the fact all he had to do was say, "Yes, I exaggerated," well, that's the Texas way folks. Even the sources he claimed backed him up said he was lying. Gene Stallings - on ESPN in a show that accompanied the movie - said he didn't even recognize the Smokey Harper character. Dent AGAIN went with "he had it all documented." He'd get called out for his embellishments and call it "nit-picking."

I didn't like Dent the moment I saw him on TV. And rest assured, I'll take Gene Stallings's word over Dent's.

It was the next year Dent got busted and violated his probation and wound up in Shawshank laundering money for the warden. He got out and violated his parole AGAIN and went back to the Iron Hotel for another round (pun intended, the man is an old drunk and while my inclination is to sympathize with those addicted to substances up to a point, there comes a point where an intervention involving Jim Dent needs to involve a good hard punch in the face).

He made up stuff to make Coach Bryant look bad and yet still wants to claim him for the Aggies. In all honesty, if Bryant was alive, he probably would have sued the hell out of Dent and while libel cases are very difficult to win, he might have pulled if off.

Now...Tom Berenger DID do an outstanding job of coming across as a no-nonsense drill instructor and tough guy with the hard exterior but with some decency underneath. He DID do a much better job than Busey did in the Bryant role. But it also made him come across kinda like Sgt Hartman in "Full Metal Jacket" with some teenage kids/men at best and with a level of brutality that's always ASSUMED by people chronicling Bryant but none of the players who endured it ever supports that idea.

Jim Dent's work is useless and would shame any man with a conscience. I can't enjoy what IS a pretty enjoyable if over-the-top movie for the same reason I don't watch Jane Fonda movies - the person involved is so distasteful I find myself reaching for the Rolaids for my stomach and the .45 for the television.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
If you gave me a gun with two bullets in it in a room with Jim Dent and Dennis Franchione, I'd shoot Dent twice.

(Note: if the FBI or ABI or Secret Service is reading this, the above line is sarcastic and meant solely to communicate the fact that I greatly despise one despicable human being more than I do the other. I'd never aim at one of these two Texas twits - well, not without making sure I had a knife to put in their hands afterwards, but I digress).

Jim Dent is a typical, loudmouthed Texas blowhard, all hat and literally no cattle. With a punchable face and a police record that would compete with Lawrence Phillips until his final crime, Dent looks like the stereotype of the over-the-top weasel who doubles down over and over again thinking he's some sort of Einstein of blackjack when the only blackjack he understands is the dark label on the whiskey, replete with multiple DUIs and more prison time than OJ Simpson.

I watched that shlockmeister and his feces eating grin on the whole "Junction Boys" controversy. He practices handicapped parking by attaching his SMU degree to the rearview mirror. He got called out for inaccuracies in his book. And like every other Texan you know, he was duck and dodge and change the subject and "Gig 'Em" and told lies he knew were lies.

"The Junction Boys" IS a pretty good movie, but I can't enjoy it because Jim Dent has more situational ethics than Reverend Leroy (Flip Wilson) when he goes to the 13th floor of a hotel in Vegas as a minister because "there are fallen women" in Vegas and his ministerial plan is "to pick 'em up!"

Dent - a journalist mind you - reported in his book that one of the players whom he alleged Coach Bryant head-butted was dead. Okay, it was before the Internet was a big thing, but you'd expect him to be more sure of something like this when the guy he wrote was dead lived less than 1/2 hour away from Dent in the DFW Metroplex. Even after the guy told Dent he had A BUNCH OF STUFF in his book wrong, Dent insisted he had verified that story with 4 or 5 unnamed witnesses (you'd think journalist would have the recordings on tape, but you're also assuming Jim Dent gives a damn about the truth). Not only that, but Dent is such a typical Texan and classless yutz that when the man told him he had the story about HIMSELF wrong, Dent attacked the man with, "Well, why did he wait 3 years to challenge it?"

Uh, because his life didn't revolve around your worthless book, bozo.

Player after player from that Aggies team said Dent was a clueless charlatan and despite the fact all he had to do was say, "Yes, I exaggerated," well, that's the Texas way folks. Even the sources he claimed backed him up said he was lying. Gene Stallings - on ESPN in a show that accompanied the movie - said he didn't even recognize the Smokey Harper character. Dent AGAIN went with "he had it all documented." He'd get called out for his embellishments and call it "nit-picking."

I didn't like Dent the moment I saw him on TV. And rest assured, I'll take Gene Stallings's word over Dent's.

It was the next year Dent got busted and violated his probation and wound up in Shawshank laundering money for the warden. He got out and violated his parole AGAIN and went back to the Iron Hotel for another round (pun intended, the man is an old drunk and while my inclination is to sympathize with those addicted to substances up to a point, there comes a point where an intervention involving Jim Dent needs to involve a good hard punch in the face).

He made up stuff to make Coach Bryant look bad and yet still wants to claim him for the Aggies. In all honesty, if Bryant was alive, he probably would have sued the hell out of Dent and while libel cases are very difficult to win, he might have pulled if off.

Now...Tom Berenger DID do an outstanding job of coming across as a no-nonsense drill instructor and tough guy with the hard exterior but with some decency underneath. He DID do a much better job than Busey did in the Bryant role. But it also made him come across kinda like Sgt Hartman in "Full Metal Jacket" with some teenage kids/men at best and with a level of brutality that's always ASSUMED by people chronicling Bryant but none of the players who endured it ever supports that idea.

Jim Dent's work is useless and would shame any man with a conscience. I can't enjoy what IS a pretty enjoyable if over-the-top movie for the same reason I don't watch Jane Fonda movies - the person involved is so distasteful I find myself reaching for the Rolaids for my stomach and the .45 for the television.
It comes across as a hit piece when the guys who were there said none of of the cruel stuff happened. I can understand adding to the myth of the Junction but to pass it off as fact and researched journalism is just evil.

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
I have watched several football movies over the years and enjoyed them. I don't really have a favorite.

I don't think anyone has mentioned the Netflix movie "Greater", about the walk on Arkansas player. I have seen that movie twice. It is sad but also inspirational.

Many years from now, my favorite football movie will be the one made about the GOAT, Nick Saban. I am pretty sure he will not want a movie to be made about him, but it will be. Question is, which actor will play Coach Saban? What an awesome time to be a Bama fan these past 15 years.... RTR!

• Roll Tide!
Reactions: The Ols

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
I'm waiting on "Stetson" to be released. It will cover from the time he was 3 and told his dad he'd QB the dogs, sleeping in Kirby's lawnmower shed, going to Jr. college, beating out Damone for the starting job etc. etc. lol

• Haha
Reactions: The Ols and 92tide

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.