What % do you think obesity contributes to the health problems in our country? (ETA - and why is rucking the best answer? :) )

Status
Not open for further replies.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
One 6 miler @ 45# per day, every day.
How long does that take you?

I'm just beginning my rucking journey. Completed 10 rucks so far, spaced every other day. Have worked up to 3 miles at 20 pounds, with a pace of about 15 minutes a mile.

I do add in pushups and burpees, wearing the weight, in unbroken sets, -- i.e., once you start the set, you finish it without resting. 25 pushups before starting, 25 at the halfway point, 15 burpees at the end, all wearing the weight.

That's nowhere near what others do, but I'm already starting to see benefits. The goal is to work up to 5 miles, 30 pounds, 2 sets of 40 pushups and one set of 20 burpees on each ruck, all wearing the weight.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
How long does that take you?
Really depends on what part of my training plan I'm on, but I'm on my 68th consecutive day of rucking 6 @ 45# at an average pace of sub-15 minute miles. The last three rucks I averaged just under 13 minutes / mile.

So, typically somewhere between 75 and 90 minutes per day.

I'm just beginning my rucking journey. Completed 10 rucks so far, spaced every other day. Have worked up to 3 miles at 20 pounds, with a pace of about 15 minutes a mile.

I do add in pushups and burpees, wearing the weight, in unbroken sets, -- i.e., once you start the set, you finish it without resting. 25 pushups before starting, 25 at the halfway point, 15 burpees at the end, all wearing the weight.

That's nowhere near what others do, but I'm already starting to see benefits. The goal is to work up to 5 miles, 30 pounds, 2 sets of 40 pushups and one set of 20 burpees on each ruck, all wearing the weight.
Man, that's fantastic progress and a solid goal - keep after it and you'll continue to feel the benefits. It's as close to a perfect workout as I've found.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
@crimsonaudio

I've read that it isn't recommended to ruck every day, but I'm assuming that is for people who aren't at your level? What are your thoughts on this?
I think you should build up to it to avoid injury, yes, but I've probably not rucked a total of about 15 days over the last four years, total (roughly 1% of days in that time period).

We've learned a lot about post workout recovery in the last few decades and the reality is few people train their bodies hard enough that they need time off (other than letting muscles repair themselves after a lift session).

I'm proof that it's really, really hard to overdo rucking (unless you go too heavy or try to train too fast).

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I think you should build up to it to avoid injury, yes, but I've probably not rucked a total of about 15 days over the last four years, total (roughly 1% of days in that time period).

We've learned a lot about post workout recovery in the last few decades and the reality is few people train their bodies hard enough that they need time off (other than letting muscles repair themselves after a lift session).

I'm proof that it's really, really hard to overdo rucking (unless you go too heavy or try to train too fast).
Yep - if you build up gradually you can walk, hike, ruck or run every day without risk of injury. Our bodies have evolved for it. Only recently have humans become sedentary - not long enough to have changed our genetic makeup.

I once ran every single day for over 3 years, averaging over 2500 miles per year, with no injuries. Now that I am older I can still go many months without a day off as long as I warm up properly each day before my run.

I am getting a go ruck setup for myself for Christmas so I can begin transitioning from running to rucking. I can't just walk. It is just too easy for me. I don't feel like I have done any work.

After my disc injury I will have to figure out how to make rucking work for me without risking becoming crippled. But I will not allow myself to become sedentary.

Life is movement and movement is life.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

Yep - if you build up gradually you can walk, hike, ruck or run every day without risk of injury. Our bodies have evolved for it. Only recently have humans become sedentary - not long enough to have changed our genetic makeup.

I once ran every single day for over 3 years, averaging over 2500 miles per year, with no injuries. Now that I am older I can still go many months without a day off as long as I warm up properly each day before my run.

I am getting a go ruck setup for myself for Christmas so I can begin transitioning from running to rucking. I can't just walk. It is just too easy for me. I don't feel like I have done any work.

After my disc injury I will have to figure out how to make rucking work for me without risking becoming crippled. But I will not allow myself to become sedentary.

Life is movement and movement is life.
I'm considering loading a tracking app onto my phone. The one that seems to get the best reviews is MapMyWalk, and it's GPS-based.

I like the accuracy that GPS provides, but am wary of my phone being tracked wherever I go, even if the app is closed. An admittedly quick Google search didn't turn up anything on whether MMW tracks when closed.

Do either of you have any thoughts on walking apps in general or MapMyWalk in particular?

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Do either of you have any thoughts on walking apps in general or MapMyWalk in particular?
I have a Garmin fitness watch that's connected to my phone via bluetooth, and it reports to Strava (my fitness tracking app of choice). I love fitness apps as they keep my data organized long term. This is my current Strava data for the last 4.5 years (when I started using it):
Screen Shot 2022-12-10 at 2.12.55 PM.png

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I'm considering loading a tracking app onto my phone. The one that seems to get the best reviews is MapMyWalk, and it's GPS-based.

I like the accuracy that GPS provides, but am wary of my phone being tracked wherever I go, even if the app is closed. An admittedly quick Google search didn't turn up anything on whether MMW tracks when closed.

i'm guessing it would probably do ok with walking, i use the ride with gps for biking and it works well. no clue on the tracking parts of it.

Reactions: B1GTide
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.