What % do you think obesity contributes to the health problems in our country? (ETA - and why is rucking the best answer? :) )

Status
Not open for further replies.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Forgot I was watching this and hit 10k ruck miles yesterday (since April 2018, so just under five years).

Just doing work, #letsgo

View attachment 32178
That’s incredibly impressive, CA.

Just curious….do you incorporate other exercises into your rucks?

I’m at the beginning of my rucking routine, and do the following:
— Put on weighted vest — started at 17 pounds, up to 23 now. I know you like the rucksack. I tried that, but prefer the vest due to a more even weight distribution.
— Do 33 pushups with the vest on
— Do 12 bicep curls with a 25-pound dumbbell in each hand
— Started at 2 miles rucking, up to 3.5 miles now at a 15 minute pace over some rolling ground.
— Do 33 more pushups at the halfway point.
— At the finish, 16 burpees wearing the vest
— End with 12 more bicep curls with the 25 pound dumbbells

Doing this every other day. So I’m nowhere near your regimen, but I ratchet up one of (a) distance, (b) number of exercise reps and (c) weight on the vest, roughly every five rucks.

Goal is 4 miles, 40 pushups x 2, 16 curls x 2, and 20 burpees, all wearing the vest weighted at 30 pounds. At the current rate, I‘d hit that sometime in May.

I’m pretty motivated right now, but it’s cool. We’ll see how the discipline holds up in heat.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Great work, @4Q Basket Case !

I separate calisthenics from rucking simply because I'm training for some rucking PRs so I don't want to break up my rucks, but I generally do calisthenics (pushups, sit-ups, pike pushups, pull/chin-ups) multiple times per week, primarily to avoid bone and muscle loss as I age. My joints are all blown out from years of athletics and power-lifting without stretching - I'm paying for the lack of stretching now - and I don't want to add much muscle mass outside of functional strength as I don't want to carry around 'gym muscles' that are otherwise unused weight.

Reactions: B1GTide

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Great work, @4Q Basket Case !

I separate calisthenics from rucking simply because I'm training for some rucking PRs so I don't want to break up my rucks, but I generally do calisthenics (pushups, sit-ups, pike pushups, pull/chin-ups) multiple times per week, primarily to avoid bone and muscle loss as I age. My joints are all blown out from years of athletics and power-lifting without stretching - I'm paying for the lack of stretching now - and I don't want to add much muscle mass outside of functional strength as I don't want to carry around 'gym muscles' that are otherwise unused weight.
Same with me and my running over the years. I do P90X and other stuff, but I didn't/don't like mixing anything into my runs because they were goal oriented.

Reactions: crimsonaudio

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I’m actually goal-oriented as well. It’s just that, at 64, I have different goals.

My ultimate goals revolve around maintaining mobility and the ability to travel independently.

I want to carry my own suitcase in the airport (and where necessary, Mrs. Basket Case’s), and hike through Swiss mountain trails in May or September. I’m not looking to climb the Matterhorn or Mont Blanc, and I’ll leave June - August to the youngsters and crowds.

I want to be able to heave two bags onto a Paris Metro and haul those same two bags up to the street in the many stations having neither escalator nor elevator — there is no analogue to the Americans with Disabilities Act in France.

I will not be the pinkhead getting disgorged off a tour bus in front of the tacky T-shirt shop in the heart of the toursit area of some foreign city. And absent true injury incurred on the trip, I will NOT be the old guy riding a beeping cart in the airport because he can‘t get around any other way.

If I can do that, I can handle daily life in Tuscaloosa just fine. Meanwhile, I actually enjoy the exercise and the very gradually increasing load.

Last edited:

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I've got heart disease on both my mother and father's side of the family. When I turned 40 I began (for preventative maintenance) getting yearly checkups specifically for my heart. I had my yearly appointment today and as I looked around the waiting room I noticed one thing. Outside of about four to five of the approximately 30-40 people, everyone was either noticeably overweight or just down right obese. Though all these people may have been there for different medical reasons. They all had one thing in common. They were overweight or obese. I am not judging. Because it was only three or so years ago that I looked at a picture of myself from that Christmas and barely recognized myself. My wife showed me the picture and said "I want you around for a long time. You need to do something about this. This is unhealthy." I ended up losing over 50 lbs and am very thankful she didn't mind hurting my feelings. But the good thing is she did it with me. Though she didn't need to lose but about 10 lbs. It still helped that I had some support.

Since I've started paying a lot more attention to my health, what I eat and what I do (from an exercise standpoint). I've noticed how much a large portion of our society is overweight. I've got a buddy of mine who works in pharmaceuticals and he said 70% of the medicines they sell are for conditions that are caused by obesity. Granted, I'm not sure how accurate that statement is. But I do wonder. I remember when I lost the weight my blood pressure went down, cholesterol dropped, I quit snoring and just overall felt better. Got a great report today. Doctor said keep doing what I'm doing, it's working.
I'm in the same boat. Since last Summer I've lost from 305 to 250.
Suddenly all my readings have lowered too.
My wife lost almost 40 pounds too.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I'm in the same boat. Since last Summer I've lost from 305 to 250.
Suddenly all my readings have lowered too.
My wife lost almost 40 pounds too.
That’s awesome, OMD! Congratulations to both of you!! Keep going until you reach your goal, then work to stay there.

It truly is an issue of lifestyle, not a short-term phase.

The difference between losing 55 pounds in 9 months, vs putting on 3-5 a year isn’t a single big decision executed over a finite time frame….it’s a zillion small ones made every day.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I’m actually goal-oriented as well. It’s just that, at 64, I have different goals.

My ultimate goals revolve around maintaining mobility and the ability to travel independently.
Bingo - this is what I mean by 'functional strength' vs 'gym muscles' - I want to be fit enough to do the things I want to do, none of which are extreme, but I don't care about looking muscular or whatever.

Lift something heavy and carry it? Sure.
Run a couple of miles? Sure.
Walk 10+ miles in a foreign city as a tourist? Sure.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Bingo - this is what I mean by 'functional strength' vs 'gym muscles' - I want to be fit enough to do the things I want to do, none of which are extreme, but I don't care about looking muscular or whatever.

Lift something heavy and carry it? Sure.
Run a couple of miles? Sure.
Walk 10+ miles in a foreign city as a tourist? Sure.
I’ve heard our shared preference referred to as, “go muscles, not show muscles.”

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
That’s awesome, OMD! Congratulations to both of you!! Keep going until you reach your goal, then work to stay there.

It truly is an issue of lifestyle, not a short-term phase.

The difference between losing 55 pounds in 9 months, vs putting on 3-5 a year isn’t a single big decision executed over a finite time frame….it’s a zillion small ones made every day.
Truth.

I tell folks all the time that it's just as difficult to maintain a healthy weight as it is to lose it in the first place. Vigilance is key when you're trying to undo years (decades, even) of poor decisions.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Losing weight meant I went from wearing tight 42 pants to loose 38 pants. Tight XXX shirts dropped to a loose XX.
Bonus is I feel better than I have in years.
We didn't do a hard diet, we just cut out sweets, breads, soft drinks and going back for 2nds.
I'm wearing clothes I haven't worn in 25 years.
I also started back using my Dumbbells, biking, and doing lots of walking.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
The study mainly focused on participants who had done the minimum recommended amount of 150 minutes of exercise per week, or 22 minutes per day. Compared with inactive participants, adults who had done 150 minutes of moderate-to-vigorous aerobic physical activity per week had a 31% lower risk of dying from any cause, a 29% lower risk of dying from cardiovascular disease and a 15% lower risk of dying from cancer.

The same amount of exercise was linked with a 27% lower risk of developing cardiovascular disease and 12% lower risk when it came to cancer.

“This is a compelling systematic review of existing research,” said CNN Medical Analyst Dr. Leana Wen, an emergency physician and public health professor at George Washington University, who wasn’t involved in the research. “We already knew that there was a strong correlation between increased physical activity and reduced risk for cardiovascular disease, cancer and premature death. This research confirms it, and furthermore states that a smaller amount than the 150 minutes of recommended exercise a week can help.”

Even people who got just half the minimum recommended amount of physical activity benefited. Accumulating 75 minutes of moderate-intensity activity per week — about 11 minutes of activity per day — was associated with a 23% lower risk of early death. Getting active for 75 minutes on a weekly basis was also enough to reduce the risk of developing cardiovascular disease by 17% and cancer by 7%.
11 minutes of daily exercise could have a positive impact on your health, large study shows

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Today marks the five-year anniversary of my first ruck - little did I know at that time what I was starting / getting into. Over these five years, I've worn out an 'indestructible' ruck and 19 pairs of ruck shoes, while burning through 10,408 miles, 246,886 feet of elevation gain, and some 297,500 kcals (I've lost almost 85#).

Find your exercise, do the work. Listen to your body but don't make excuses. Figure out what foods help you to be your best and avoid the garbage pumped into highly processed foods.

It's soooo worth it. Trust me.

5 year ruck anniversary.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.