What % do you think obesity contributes to the health problems in our country? (ETA - and why is rucking the best answer? :) )

Status
Not open for further replies.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
From the article and my comments below the quote:

This is a very, very common thing you here from people who have had issues with insulin levels. They dramatically improve without having to go on a special diet.

I can't disagree with someone who is an expert in the field and I'm nowhere close to being one. But I will say this, it's been the easiest and more natural transition to losing weight and actually WANTING to keep doing it than anything I've done before. However, like I said earlier in the thread, if it works keep doing it. If not, find something else that does.

This is very true for me. I just don't feel like I'm on a diet and maybe that's half the battle.
I haven't begun intermittent fasting at this point and only have attempted to understand the benefits other than weight loss which is not a focus for me. The top level understanding that I am seeing in the research from Dr. Valter Longo and at USC is that intermittent fasting or fasting mimicking effects mitochondrial repair within the cell itself and is an anti-aging longevity strategy. One comment I heard recently was diet and exercise aided mitochondrial repair but not to the degree of intermittent fasting. I have a lot more to learn on the topic.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I haven't begun intermittent fasting at this point and only have attempted to understand the benefits other than weight loss which is not a focus for me. The top level understanding that I am seeing in the research from Dr. Valter Longo and at USC is that intermittent fasting or fasting mimicking effects mitochondrial repair within the cell itself and is an anti-aging longevity strategy. One comment I heard recently was diet and exercise aided mitochondrial repair but not to the degree of intermittent fasting. I have a lot more to learn on the topic.
I to have a lot more to learn about the topic. From what I've read health science is really just now diving into the benefits of intermittent fasting. I don't think it's been at the forefront of health studies over the years like other forms of dieting have. However, whether for religious or health reasons or both. The act of fasting has been practiced for thousands of years by a lot of societies and cultures.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I’ll finish my 7th fasting cycle at noon today. I’m even more encouraged to stay with this after reading more on the subject. I’m obviously eating less, and still eating healthy. I’m definitely hungry at noon every day but I’m not famished and not eating a bigger lunch. Last night I finished dinner before 6 PM and haven’t eaten since.

It it may be my imagination but my mind feels sharper and I’m more alert. I wish I’d have known about intermittent fasting years ago.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
I’ll finish my 7th fasting cycle at noon today. I’m even more encouraged to stay with this after reading more on the subject. I’m obviously eating less, and still eating healthy. I’m definitely hungry at noon every day but I’m not famished and not eating a bigger lunch. Last night I finished dinner before 6 PM and haven’t eaten since.

It it may be my imagination but my mind feels sharper and I’m more alert. I wish I’d have known about intermittent fasting years ago.
It's not. That is one of the most common improvements noticed by people who fast.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

How much are you eating in that time period if you can go from 7 pm to noon without eating?

Do you notice yourself drinking more during that time period at all?

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
Added thought about the ongoing discussion on obesity is the incredible increase of sugar in our diets from the 1800's to the present.

It's a remarkably straight line, increasing steadily from 6.3 pounds per person per year in 1822 to a maximum of 107.7 lb/person/year in 1999. Wrap your brain around this: in 1822, we ate the amount of added sugar in one 12 ounce can of soda every five days, while today we eat that much sugar every seven hours.
We don't need to look much farther in the discussion of obesity than to think about how ubiquitous sugar has become in hundreds of products on grocery shelves and how easily addictive it becomes from our first taste of baby food. I have seen it labeled as the number one health risk in the population.

https://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2012/02/by-2606-us-diet-will-be-100-percent.html

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Wrapping up my third 16-8 fasting day in about 10 minutes. I could eat obviously, but I am not famished. I believe this is something that I can stick with, and hopefully realize some good health benefits.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
How much are you eating in that time period if you can go from 7 pm to noon without eating?

I know you didn't ask me, but I'll give you my experience with it.

You would think by fasting that many hours that when you did eat you would be tempted to over eat and "make up for" the 16 hours of fasting. But that isn't the case. Most people find that it is very, very hard to actually eat that much food within an 8 hour window. Trust me, I tried. The crazy thing you find is you actually eat less. I know it doesn't follow common logic. But for me it has been the case and for many others who do the 16-8 method it is very common to actually eat less. Regarding the water, yes, it is important to keep hydrated during the fasting hours. Not necessarily to subside the hunger pains, but so your body will function like it should.

Last edited:
Reactions: Con

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee

I’m not drinking more. I drink water and black decaf at work, unsweetened tea if I go out. I do drink a lot.

My wife packs my lunch everyday so I’m eating the same amount there. A turkey or chicken wrap with lettuce,tomato, onion, cheese, and tobacco. A box of raisins, some pecans, a pear, and some blueberries are my lunch four days a week. I don’t have time to eat until I get home then it’s whatever Cyndi fixes. Four of seven days it’ll be a big salad with chicken or shrimp.

I think the coffee helps helps keep me from being hungry.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
I’m not drinking more. I drink water and black decaf at work, unsweetened tea if I go out. I do drink a lot.

My wife packs my lunch everyday so I’m eating the same amount there. A turkey or chicken wrap with lettuce,tomato, onion, cheese, and tobacco. A box of raisins, some pecans, a pear, and some blueberries are my lunch four days a week. I don’t have time to eat until I get home then it’s whatever Cyndi fixes. Four of seven days it’ll be a big salad with chicken or shrimp.

I think the coffee helps helps keep me from being hungry.
Tobacco on a sandwich; is that a Milan thing? No wonder this diet works if you are going to chew then spit.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I agree that liquids are an important part of the fasting period, coffee, iced tea, and water. After just three days it is somewhat hard to judge how much I eat between noon and 8PM. Not sure I have eaten less but certainly not any more.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Alright, figured I would try the fasting today. Had my usual cup of coffee when I woke up. Had to eat a banana on the way into work because I had that "need something on my stomach before I get sick" feeling. I'll see if I can make it to noon for lunch.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Alright, figured I would try the fasting today. Had my usual cup of coffee when I woke up. Had to eat a banana on the way into work because I had that "need something on my stomach before I get sick" feeling. I'll see if I can make it to noon for lunch.
Update: Made it to lunch. Didn't eat nearly as fast as I normally do. Not sure if it was because I was talking or what.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
How do you handle the weekends? For instance, my wife likes to fix a real breakfast (not grabbing something to eat on the way to work) on Saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.