What Does the Offense Look Like w/ Milroe as the Starter?

deltatider

1st Team
Nov 29, 2005
I thought about putting a call into Coach to ask him about this directly but I figured I'd start with you guys first. I heard one of the talking heads on either ESPN or XM say it looked like Jalen was running the same "version" of the offense that Bryce runs when he came in during the Arkansas game...meaning that if Jalen is our guy against A&M the offense we see will be more of the Milroe "version" of the offense. So then what does that version of the offense look like?

I think it's a safe bet to say that it will be more of a run heavy offense that likely has more designed QB runs built into it. But does this affect how we approach our typical running attack when it's not a designed QB run? Off and you wouldn't think it would change too much but I could see how having a more mobile guy back there would switch some things up a bit.

From a passing perspective I wonder if we will see more of a short passing game with less intermediate type throws; but with some deep shots mixed in? Will we do more RPOs? Will we try to get the running backs even more involved in the passing game, maybe tight ends? Obviously the passing game is the biggest overall question mark here...but I don't see us asking Jalen to do the same things as we ask Bryce to do, but that doesn't mean our passing game is less successful it just means that success will probably look a little different than what we are used to seeing.

My hope is that 1) Jalen can replace the intermediate passing game somewhat with few 20-25 yards scrambles when a passing play breaks down, and 2) that his mobility causes the defense to react a half a step slower than usual giving our guy bigger windows that normal.

Looking forward to the input.

• Haha
Reactions: CraigD

BamaDMD

Hall of Fame
Sep 10, 2007
Rainsville Al
I think you might be right about the short passing game with a few deep throws. We will definitely try to run the ball morel but I think if Brice doesn't go in at all then they will have a few plays they will have worked on this week specifically for Jalen.

I wouldn't call into the show with that question though. Coach is sore with the questions along these lines already with the press. He is likely to say "why don't I just call Jimbo and tell him our gameplan so you can prepare" :)

Reactions: Ole Man Dan and mlh

BamaDMD

Hall of Fame
Sep 10, 2007
Rainsville Al
People are acting like JM cannot throw the ball - he can and he will. Any offense that doesn't attempt to stretch the field will have a tough time running.

Bama will likely lean a bit more on the run, but I suspect we'll see some great passes from JM (if he plays).
I think that he can throw, however, I don't think he's very comfortable yet with 2nd and 3rd reads. That's why I hope he can get some plays under his belt that he is comfortable with.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
So, if you rewatch the Arkansas game you will see that a lot of those run plays were RPOs, and Jalen took the run option most of the time when an RPO was called. I am not sure if those were good reads or not because we didn't see enough of the field to be sure, but that will be covered in the film room and in practice this week.

IMO, if BoB wants Jalen to pass, he is going to have to call pure pass plays. Then let Jalen build confidence in his arm. With that confidence will come better decisions and better performance. You don't build confidence in practice - you build it in game play.

When someone like Young runs an RPO, he wants to pass and will only run if the read is obviously run. Jalen is probably the opposite right now.

You have not run many RPOs with Young. I hope you don't go back to a heavy RPO play scheme with Jalen. Your spread offense with those receivers is your road to a championship, no matter the QB.

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
Milroe can throw, he just needs to get some game speed experience and get comfortable. He won't throw with the anticipation of Bryce, but he'll get his. And if the called pass play breaks down....Milroe can absolutely fly.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Milroe can throw, he just needs to get some game speed experience and get comfortable. He won't throw with the anticipation of Bryce, but he'll get his. And if the called pass play breaks down....Milroe can absolutely fly.
Arm strength isn’t a problem. He’s still developing accuracy and decision-making….which I think makes shorter throws and deep throws more likely.

Medium-distance throws are a bit harder in that they’re in more traffic and the windows are smaller — both of which emphasize aspects that aren’t Milroe’s strengths. Not yet, anyway.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Well if they are going to RPOs they need to work on the quickness and ball placement for these slants. Bryce and Jalen throw slants terribly, they are behind and off target. RPO slants should be chest high and 3/4 arm’s length out in front of the receiver so they can work their magic. Neither of these two have shown the ability to do that with any consistency.

atlbama

2nd Team
Nov 18, 2005
Dunwoody, GA
Completely uneducated, armchair guess here. Due to Jalen being so mobile, I expect the opposing defense to play a lot of zone so the back end has eyes forward in case of him running. It is important that receivers understand how to "sit" in the soft spots and one would think this "should" actually open up the RPO game. Who knows?

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
Jalen's running ability is his strength. Kind of like a pitcher with a really good fastball that's over 100 mph, but the curveball is ok. Since his fastball is so good, that mediocre curveball will still strike out a bunch of batters. His running ability will open up some easy passes where he doesn't have to be perfect.
Can I get a split screen on that during the game? ;)

• Facepalm
Reactions: BamaDMD

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
People are acting like JM cannot throw the ball - he can and he will. Any offense that doesn't attempt to stretch the field will have a tough time running.

Bama will likely lean a bit more on the run, but I suspect we'll see some great passes from JM (if he plays).
He's got a big arm. What he needs is starter reps.

I think we already have a copy of a Jalen playbook that would work ok.

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
Completely uneducated, armchair guess here. Due to Jalen being so mobile, I expect the opposing defense to play a lot of zone so the back end has eyes forward in case of him running. It is important that receivers understand how to "sit" in the soft spots and one would think this "should" actually open up the RPO game. Who knows?
They'll quickly abandon zone coverage if JoJo and/or Harrell are in the set as long as BoB calls the offense correctly. Milroe can definitely toss it out there and let one of these guys go get it.

Reactions: B1GTide

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
RPOs with short passes early to give Jalen confidence and go ahead with what ever is given by the defense.

Roll Tide Roll !
This ^^^^. Confidence will be everything in determining how deep in the passing playbook they allow Milroe to go. If he's hitting the short, high percentage stuff early on, keep adding the more difficult stuff as the game goes on and see what he does. The good thing is, with Milroe's super athleticism, we can ALWAYS implement things like the "wildcat", zone reads, and RPO type of plays.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Well if they are going to RPOs they need to work on the quickness and ball placement for these slants. Bryce and Jalen throw slants terribly, they are behind and off target. RPO slants should be chest high and 3/4 arm’s length out in front of the receiver so they can work their magic. Neither of these two have shown the ability to do that with any consistency.
I got completely spoiled with how Mac Jones threw the slants to D Smith.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.