What Does the Offense Look Like w/ Milroe as the Starter?

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
My real question is, why the heck isn't McLaughlin the starting center? What are we all missing here?

Our best games from the OL the past 2 years have all been with him starting. At this point it's a pattern.
Yes, this is a puzzler. Is Dalcourt THAT much better in practice or something? Kind of hard for me to imagine but I`m not at practice and hardly a coach.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
yes that one lol
I agree on the question. SM made blocks on both of the long Gibbs run that DD has never shown the ability to make. in fact the long TD by McClellan against UTw was the same type play, but DD tripped over his own feet and fell down and didn't block anyone. Only reason it sprang was that EE pancaked the DT and was able to stay on his feet long enough to get to the LB also...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I don't think he intended for a true, "critical" comparison, but just for "up to this point" information only, and he acknowledged it was a very small sample size.

But, up to this point we can gather some information from the limited sample size. It is very encouraging that his between the numbers completions are very good. It is interesting he has zero attempts to his left side and seven attempts to his right. Does he feel more comfortable throwing to his right or did the coverage dictate it? Good stuff.

View attachment 29092
Jalen Hurts numbers his first 2 seasons. Simply could not pass to the left side of the field.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
Notice how well #65 blocks on these 2 long TDs.

On the first one he just takes Bumper Pool completely out of the play after moving to the second level.

On the second one he has to snap the ball and then pull to the left - not an easy task. As before, he takes Bumper Pool out of the play and opens a huge hole.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
I agree on the question. SM made blocks on both of the long Gibbs run that DD has never shown the ability to make. in fact the long TD by McClellan against UTw was the same type play, but DD tripped over his own feet and fell down and didn't block anyone. Only reason it sprang was that EE pancaked the DT and was able to stay on his feet long enough to get to the LB also...
This is the play in question and your post sums it up perfectly.

Reactions: gtgilbert

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
I don't think he intended for a true, "critical" comparison, but just for "up to this point" information only, and he acknowledged it was a very small sample size.

But, up to this point we can gather some information from the limited sample size. It is very encouraging that his between the numbers completions are very good. It is interesting he has zero attempts to his left side and seven attempts to his right. Does he feel more comfortable throwing to his right or did the coverage dictate it? Good stuff.

View attachment 29092
My guess would be that right now, they are setting his reads from right to left since when he sets his feet as a righty, it's a bit easier to look right and he's not getting all the way through the progressions to throw left.

What stood out to me was that he's 1/8 on passing more than 10 yards downfield. I was kinda surprised by it honestly as I didn't think it was that bad in the 10-20 range. Given that, I'd be shocked if we don't see teams keep all the DBs tighter to try to limit the short passing game and just take the gamble that he's not going be hit even the intermediate stuff.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Notice how well #65 blocks on these 2 long TDs.

On the first one he just takes Bumper Pool completely out of the play after moving to the second level.

On the second one he has to snap the ball and then pull to the left - not an easy task. As before, he takes Bumper Pool out of the play and opens a huge hole.

Exactly - that's the stuff that DD just doesn't show that he can do, especially the second level LB block. He seems to get stuck on the first phase of his combo blocks.

Ted2010

Oct 3, 2022
Run heavy and joyless murder ball. I think we will see a lot of slants and RPOs and short corner routes to pass just enough to open the run. If our OLine can block then this offense can be lethal.

Reactions: seebell

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Milroe has plenty of arm talent, no question. He needs in game reps to build his confidence.

Jalen has missed several deep passes in his limited playing time, primarily by overthrowing a wide open receiver. I’m thinking he saw Burton breaking wide open and thought “just don’t over throw him. Let him make a play on it”. And as we say “he pulled the string” by taking too much off of it.

Just a thought.

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Seriously, what stood out to me in the chart comparing BY to JM passing stats is that we really don't have a very good 20+ passing game even with BY.

Man, no matter who QB is, that needs to change as we progress through this season!

Probius

Hall of Fame
Mar 19, 2004
Birmingham, Alabama
Seriously, what stood out to me in the chart comparing BY to JM passing stats is that we really don't have a very good 20+ passing game even with BY.

Man, no matter who QB is, that needs to change as we progress through this season!
The deep ball has been a challenge so far, we are really missing Jamo. I hope Harrell can make a big impact when he is ready. We really need a WR who can get on the same page with BY on deep balls.

Reactions: seebell

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
The deep ball has been a challenge so far, we are really missing Jamo. I hope Harrell can make a big impact when he is ready. We really need a WR who can get on the same page with BY on deep balls.
I'm hoping the deep ball routes and chemistry develops soon, with both QB's. We need that to open up the offense. The under throws and over throws could also contribute to more WR injuries, unfortunately. I think some of the WR injuries in the past have come from under throws if I remember correctly. Offense will need to be sharp, especially against TN, Miss State, and Ole Miss. RTR

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I hear the term "chemistry" tossed around a lot concerning a successful passing game. I think I understand the term and how it applies, but if our deep passing game has been slow to start cooking with BY undercenter, I don't think we should expect too much if JM has to play Sat. because if these things take time to come together that may be an issue.

Having said that, All it takes is just one or two big completions to back the corners and safeties up.

If JM starts, I'd kinda like to see our first offensive play be a "go" route to the fastest guy we have on the field that play. Just the backyard play where our guy goes straight down the field. I'd tell JM throw it as far as you can and let our guy see if he can go get it. Even if it's an overthrown/incompletion it sends a message that we might do it again!

Think: Blake Sims to Kenyan Drake against UF. Maybe split Gibbs out wide and hope a LB is in coverage.

Last edited:

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
I hear the term "chemistry" tossed around a lot concerning a successful passing game. I think I understand the term and how it applies, but if our deep passing game has been slow to start cooking with BY undercenter, I don't think we should expect too much if JM has to play Sat. because if these things take time to come together that may be an issue.

Having said that, All it takes is just one or two big completions to back the corners and safeties up.

If JM starts, I'd kinda like to see our first offensive play be a "go" route to the fastest guy we have on the field that play. Just the backyard play where our guy goes straight down the field. I'd tell JM throw it as far as you can and let our guy see if he can go get it. Even if it's an overthrown/incompletion it sends a message that we might do it again!

Think: Blake Sims to Kenyan Drake against UF. Maybe split Gibbs out wide and hope a LB is in coverage.
2 back set, motion Gibbs wide and run 4 verticals.

Reactions: AlexanderFan

AlexD

1st Team
Jun 19, 2009
My biggest concern is not Milroe at this point until he shows he can't do it. It is Dalcourt who has shown he can't as I have mentioned weeks ago. He gives up a ton of middle blitzes freely and as other have said can't get to the second level. Guy gets pushed back bad too. McLaughlin may not be the practice star or gym star like him or what ever goes on behind the doors but I don't remember seeing the free blitzers coming through and he made key blocks. Said the same thing last year.

We have won with avg QBs in the past can do it now especially with even more offensive talent than in the past. Just easy plays to give the ball to the play makers. Just so happens while he is not elite at throwing he can bail himself out running. But also lot of people taking A&M D to lightly. They are big and physical and are actually pretty good. They just get put in horrible position by the offense a lot. Think our defense in the 3rd qtr ark game but every game all game or the Texas game when we went 3&out what 6 times in a row. So That will be the challenge. Going against a good defense but should win if we execute and should win huge if execute well. Our defense just needs to start making plays on the ball. The lack of turn overs is very worrisome.

Reactions: gtgilbert

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL
Yes, this is a puzzler. Is Dalcourt THAT much better in practice or something? Kind of hard for me to imagine but I`m not at practice and hardly a coach.
Ok look I am in agreement that SM has been a better blocker heck even I notice the change when SM is in the game. I do find it strange that a lot of people on the board don't understand Nick Sabans hesitation to put SM in. SM has had some sloppy snaps at times. I mean say what you want about his blocking being good, but the Centers number one job is to get the ball to the QB. Bad snaps lose football games. We see that every year. Before anyone jumps down my throat. I am not saying DD should start but I understand Nick Sabans hesitation.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Ok look I am in agreement that SM has been a better blocker heck even I notice the change when SM is in the game. I do find it strange that a lot of people on the board don't understand Nick Sabans hesitation to put SM in. SM has had some sloppy snaps at times. I mean say what you want about his blocking being good, but the Centers number one job is to get the ball to the QB. Bad snaps lose football games. We see that every year. Before anyone jumps down my throat. I am not saying DD should start but I understand Nick Sabans hesitation.
OK, fair point . Interesting in that I would think that`s something that would lend itself to improvement through repetition.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I almost feel like we should start Milroe anyway just to show teams “Yes, we CAN win without Bryce and now you need to prepare for both QBs.”
They would still just prep for Young like they just prepped for Tua with Hurts on the bench. Young is the best QB in the game. Teams would feel lucky indeed to face Alabama without him, with ot without prepping for Jalen.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.