What is all this boycotting places that supports BLM really accomplishing?

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Starr and Staubach are probably better than most in that time period

Boy have we wondered far from the original topic...that being said.....

Namath did lead the league in passing yards three times, Staubach never.
Both led the league in TDs once.

And then we have to make considerations for:

1) Was the AFL "really" on par with the NFL when Namath threw for 4,007 yards in 1967?
It appears they probably were given the only NFL/NFC team to win the Super Bowl between Super Bowl III and Super Bowl XV was the Dallas Cowboys (twice). Yes, the Colts were an old NFL team, but they had to beat the AFL/AFC to get there.

2) Staubach lost several prime years and didn't start until he was 29 years old.

3) Staubach became a starter on a team that had already come VERY close to the championship several times in the previous five years; Namath was drafted by a 5-8-1 team in the junior league and took them to the Super Bowl in his third full season as a starter.

I'd lean Roger because I saw him play - but this might be interesting, too.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
Eli basically lives off his father and brother's names, plus a few flashes of greatness. If the name on the back of his jersey was anything else, he wouldn't be talked about as much.

Plus, these days, any QB that "wins" a SB seems to immediately get HoF talk. I have a problem with that because I think QBs get way to much credit for wins in modern football.

Reactions: uafanataum

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA

1) Was the AFL "really" on par with the NFL when Namath threw for 4,007 yards in 1967?
It appears they probably were given the only NFL/NFC team to win the Super Bowl between Super Bowl III and Super Bowl XV was the Dallas Cowboys (twice). Yes, the Colts were an old NFL team, but they had to beat the AFL/AFC to get there.

2) Staubach lost several prime years and didn't start until he was 29 years old.

3) Staubach became a starter on a team that had already come VERY close to the championship several times in the previous five years; Namath was drafted by a 5-8-1 team in the junior league and took them to the Super Bowl in his third full season as a starter.

Namath was the first QB to pass for 4000 yards in a season. ETA. It took Fouts two extra games to break the record.

Last edited:

Tider n LA

All-SEC
Dec 7, 2003
Alabama
I can't lie. I have been boycotting pro sports for quite some time after being a sports junkie in the eighties and nineties. College football, horse racing and a little of March madness is the only thing appealing to me. I caught a little of the FSU and Clemson games this past weekend. It will be interesting to see the ratings for football this week. Baseball and Basketball ratings are down considerably. I have a feeling a lot of people are serious about their boycotts.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
I don't think the low ratings are because of BLM or boycotts but, the pandemic has just re-focused many people's attention on to more important things for now.

Some may just find it to odd watching sports in mostly empty stadiums. I'm still watching the Braves almost everyday and it is still a little weird. Funny enough though, the fake crowd noise they pump in, which I thought was odd at first, actually helps give the impression that more people are in the stadium.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Some may just find it to odd watching sports in mostly empty stadiums.
It’s not even that for me really. I put on a game briefly Saturday & just felt icky at the idea of little green pieces of paper being so important to shove these kids out there with a not fully understood virus rampaging around. I turned it back off after a few minutes.

The distraction of football would be nice for sure but not under these circumstances. I guess bread & circuses just isn’t good enough atm. For me anyway.

• Thank You
Reactions: Jon and 92tide

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I don't think the low ratings are because of BLM or boycotts but, the pandemic has just re-focused many people's attention on to more important things for now.

Some may just find it to odd watching sports in mostly empty stadiums. I'm still watching the Braves almost everyday and it is still a little weird. Funny enough though, the fake crowd noise they pump in, which I thought was odd at first, actually helps give the impression that more people are in the stadium.
I read an article last night that stated Sports are down EVERY election year. It makes sense because Cable News ratings are way higher every election year.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

Well thread drift tends to happen when ClayTravis comes up...

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Namath was the first QB to pass for 4000 yards in a season. ETA. It took Fouts two extra games to break the record.
In 1979, yes.

In 1980, Fouts passed Namath in only 14 games and then buried the record (which looks pale by comparison now). In 1981, he was just short of 4,000 after 14 games and then buried it again.

But then again - CAN we actually say the AFL's 1967 defenses were anything close to the senior league at that point? I think that's a fair question. I'm not taking a position because I don't know. That the best teams in the AFL couldn't touch Lombardi's Packers is pretty well established, but that doesn't necessarily mean the rest of the league wasn't close to the AFL and vice versa.

But I can see it a lot of ways. Namath himself did lead in passing two other times - but note how far his numbers absolutely plummeted when the merger happened, and he had to face NFL/NFC teams for some of his games.

1967 - 4007 yards (led all of football)
1968 - 3147 (3rd in AFL)
1969 - 2734 (2nd in AFL); 3 NFL QBs had more yardage passing
1970 - missed 9 games with injuries
1971 - missed 7 games with injuries
1972 - 2816 (led entire league; Archie Manning 2nd with 2781 yards in 124 more attempts)
1973 - missed 8 game with injuries
1974 - 2616 yards (2nd in the league)

So how do we evaluate him FAIRLY?

It seems he was STILL a good QB (when healthy) AFTER the merger, but he also didn't run up anything close to his AFL numbers - which gives rise to the possibility AFL defenses weren't that good or certainly not what he was used to seeing.

In Super Bowl III, Namath was 17 of 29 for 206 yards and 0 TDs but - most important - 0 INTs. On the other hands, the Jets averaged 28.5 ppg in the regular season and then got 27 (pretty much their season average) in the AFL title game against the Raiders. Against the Colts, they got 16 points - 9 of them on field goals set up largely by the Colts turning the ball over 5 times.....which Namath had absolutely nothing to do with (just like he had nothing to do with the Colts missing two first-half field goals or the ball bouncing off a shoulder pad in the end zone that turned a TD into an INT or Earl Morrall not seeing Jimmy Orr wide open).

Of course, the flip side is that one can argue Namath's numbers also went down after repeated injuries, too. (This is why I'm so hesitant to jump on the "he was overrated" bandwagon).

Reactions: TexasBama

Tider n LA

All-SEC
Dec 7, 2003
Alabama
I read an article last night that stated Sports are down EVERY election year. It makes sense because Cable News ratings are way higher every election year.
I take it that would be true but it isn't because I'm watching it. Same old stories everyday...................

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.