Question: What is the employment situation like where you are?

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
"Nobody wants to work anymore", "He won't work", or "He wouldn't hit a lick at a snake"

I have been hearing this for forty years. It literally has to be some other reason than just laziness.

Our country cannot staff the demand to produce all we need or want domestically. Politically we can't seem to grasp this concept. It's about to get significantly worse. Alabama will lose 500,000 workers to retirement over the next 10 yrs. There are not enough in-state workers coming up to replace them.

Yeah, like most things involving lots of people, it's complicated, not a simple answer like so many seem to want to believe.

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
"Nobody wants to work anymore", "He won't work", or "He wouldn't hit a lick at a snake"

I have been hearing this for forty years. It literally has to be some other reason than just laziness.

Our country cannot staff the demand to produce all we need or want domestically. Politically we can't seem to grasp this concept. It's about to get significantly worse. Alabama will lose 500,000 workers to retirement over the next 10 yrs. There are not enough in-state workers coming up to replace them.
We could always import them. We just have to keep the xenophobes out of office.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
"Nobody wants to work anymore"
Heard a vendor mutter this to a customer this weekend when I was at the farmers market. I just rolled my eyes.

It is almost like they don't like free market principles. When nobody is buying what they are selling (jobs) maybe they should look at selling a better product (higher wages and better benefits.) When this many people start parroting the same catch phrase, I think it points to faux news drumming up angst against the Biden economy for the midterms.

In the end, a lot of these companies either fired their employees or treated them like they were expendable during the pandemic. What do they expect?

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Heard a vendor mutter this to a customer this weekend when I was at the farmers market. I just rolled my eyes.

It is almost like they don't like free market principles. When nobody is buying what they are selling (jobs) maybe they should look at selling a better product (higher wages and better benefits.) When this many people start parroting the same catch phrase, I think it points to faux news drumming up angst against the Biden economy for the midterms.

In the end, a lot of these companies either fired their employees or treated them like they were expendable during the pandemic. What do they expect?
"Nobody wants to work anymore". Never trust an absolute statement

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I saw a sign outside a Wendy’s in Newnan saying they are hiring at $11 an hour.

Went to eat at a Longhorn’s tonight and they said a 15 minute wait with four groups ahead of me. The dining room appeared to be nearly empty. It was ten minutes to five. I left.

• Thank You
Reactions: selmaborntidefan

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I suddenly have people calling me every day to check on me.

I'm (thisclose) to walking out the door myself. There's enough demand for my job that I can bank money, take three months off, and work on something besides work.

And while I realize the posts I put from work at times might suggest I don't do much, I'm far from lazy.

As far as the workers, I learned long ago that it's too damn complicated to find a single reason. It's not that different from trying to figure out how you wound up in divorce court. There's usually no 'single reason' for it.

Last edited:

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
My wife and I went out to eat brunch after my last radiation treatment. Our waiter was a nice young man...his real "vocation" is as a "kick-boxer." He is trying to save up enough money to go to Thailand for the world championships. Talk about understanding that success is not always a straight path...I admire him.

Now, let's just see some inebriated patron act up in that restaurant!!!

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
If NT18 posted this or someone else did (it's about 18 months old), I apologize, but it's worth considering. Last night I made a decision - I need to get my ex and my son on board (because it affects him) with my plan, but I am still going to follow through with mine. I cannot disclose at this time for obvious reasons.

For anyone considering a career as a clinical laboratory technician, the news is good. According to the federal Bureau of Labor Statistics, the need for lab technicians is expected to grow 12% through to 2026. To put that in context, job growth for any occupation is projected to increase only 7% during that same period.

Even though labs are becoming more automated, technicians will still be needed to run the equipment properly — and they will be required in greater numbers than ever before.

But what represents an opportunity to budding technicians can also create a headache for lab directors. And the crisis isn’t in the far-off future of 2026; labs are dealing with staffing shortages now.

Citing an American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP) survey, the American Society for Clinical Laboratory Science points out that the average vacancy rate for any type of medical laboratory is 7.2 percent. The same ASCP survey said most departments take between three and six months to replace a departed staff member.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
This is not exaggerated in ANY way. In ANY way.

When I got my car a few months ago it came with free Sirius XM radio, which expires today. Also, I'm a real stickler when I stop my car to turn off the AC and the radio, etc. But for whatever reason yesterday - actually I was running to get in from a storm - I accidentally left the radio tuned to the 70s station.

(You'll only get this if you've seen "Goodfellas").

I hop in the Rogue this morning and push the key to start it. All of a sudden, the piano part from "Layla" comes through the speakers..........to say it freaked me out is an understatement.....

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
This is not exaggerated in ANY way. In ANY way.

When I got my car a few months ago it came with free Sirius XM radio, which expires today. Also, I'm a real stickler when I stop my car to turn off the AC and the radio, etc. But for whatever reason yesterday - actually I was running to get in from a storm - I accidentally left the radio tuned to the 70s station.

(You'll only get this if you've seen "Goodfellas").

I hop in the Rogue this morning and push the key to start it. All of a sudden, the piano part from "Layla" comes through the speakers..........to say it freaked me out is an understatement.....
Call Sirius XM and renegotiate your contract...I do so every year and wind up paying about $4-5 per month for each radio. If not they will charge you a bundle today...a couple of hundred for the next year per radio.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
So what you're saying is you have a highly valuable and sought-after skillset. I hope that works to your advantage.
I have two kids who are old enough to begin talking with them about "supply and demand" in the workforce and the importance of ensuring they're on the right side of the supply and demand curve. I pass on to them what my dad passed on to my siblings and me, "Make money with your mind, not your body because your body will wear out before your mind does."

My daughter works concession stands during the summer for baseball tournaments in our area. The company she works for puts A LOT of responsibility on her for a 16 year old. There are times she shows up at 9:00 am and doesn't leave until 9:00 pm, at $8/hour. She comes home completely exhausted and at times begins complaining about the labor compared to the pay. I told her, "You remember this when you're tired of doing your homework, sick of going to school, just wanting to 'get a job' etc. Remember what it is like to work like a rented mule for 12 hours in the summer heat for only $8/hour. Don't forget what that feels like."

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.