What is the party platform for the Democratic Party nowadays?

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
For some much-needed context, NY's criminal code hadn't been updated since the 1970. While abortion was legal, it remained a felony for practitioners to perform an abortion after 24 weeks for any reason other than the life of the mother being in jeopardy. After this law, practitioners can perform an abortion after 24 weeks if the health of the mother is at stake OR the fetus is not viable. That's all.
what? anti-abortion folks are making duplicitous arguments? i am shocked

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Nothing was taken out of context if you read both articles. The bolded part of your response was defined in the Roe companion case Doe v. Bolton as “all factors — physical, emotional, psychological, familial, and the woman’s age — relevant to the wellbeing of the patient.”
Yes, I did see that particular piece of fearmongering. In the reality where we all live, no hospital is going to perform an abortion at 40 weeks just because the mother claims emotional stress, but do carry on.

Again, in reality, pregnant women in NY were having to travel to other states for an abortion once they found out their fetus was missing half its brain at 6 months gestation. This was happening because performing an abortion at that point was a felony in the state of NY. Now it isn't, and that's a very positive change for women in this situation.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
He's good.

I mean part of it, I think is coming from the industrial Midwest and just a different way of talking. Part of it is the vocabulary you’re used to having when when you’re a mayor and you’ve got to make sure you take the most complex things and have a way of rendering them in plain English. But also just a generation, I think, that watched the way that conservatives absolutely dominated American politics to the point where even Democratic presidents were doing basically conservative things because they understood the need to fight at the level of values and win a values and ideas argument. And on our side of the aisle, as much as we like to think of ourselves as the intellectual party, the truth is I think our policies were less connected to our values and our philosophies than theirs were. We developed a vocabulary of policy. We explained who we were and candidates and races kind of fought to impress each other through a policy arms race without ever really engaging on the values issue. And that’s how I think we lost the debate over freedom and what freedom means in this country, you know, to the point that I think that for years it was viewed as kind of pro-freedom to be anti-government as though freedom from government was the only one that mattered. When you know in my life, you know, my freedom was enhanced by a lot of things that happened in the Obama administration that were the consequences of good policy. I’m freer because of the freedom to marry and if you take it back over a 50-year period, my family experienced a lot of freedom because Medicare exists. And when my parents were having health issues we were free to think about what was right for them medically, not who’s going to pay for it. So big arguments like that that we just for some reason sort of stopped having sometime in the 90s when we figured that the way to win was to just check on their policies and see if our policies could be halfway there versus thinking about how our policies linked up to our core values and what we believed in.

Pod Save America: Pete Buttigieg on freedom and farting cows

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
The Mueller Report is scheduled to be released tomorrow (Thursday).

2020 is still a long way off so plenty of time for campaign strategy.

Obviously, most of us don't know what will be in the report that could be used by candidates against their opponent(s).

I said in another post that Mayor Buttigieg was one of the few that cautioned (paraphrasing) going down the road of "Trump impeachment " was probably not going to provide much 'return on investment' so I will be interested to see how this all plays out in the context of campaign strategy.

IMHO, the president will benefit if this report consumes the media and candidates for weeks and months to come and nothing happens that removes him from office.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
The Mueller Report is scheduled to be released tomorrow (Thursday).

2020 is still a long way off so plenty of time for campaign strategy.

Obviously, most of us don't know what will be in the report that could be used by candidates against their opponent(s).

I said in another post that Mayor Buttigieg was one of the few that cautioned (paraphrasing) going down the road of "Trump impeachment " was probably not going to provide much 'return on investment' so I will be interested to see how this all plays out in the context of campaign strategy.

IMHO, the president will benefit if this report consumes the media and candidates for weeks and months to come and nothing happens that removes him from office.
nothing is going to happen to remove trump from office, that's pretty much been the case since he was put in office. as has been seen time and time again, the republicans in the senate and the house, plus the base would never support it regardless of what is shown. y'all are all in with this clown despite him being a horrible person and president and the rest of us are stuck with him until at least the next election.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
nothing is going to happen to remove trump from office, that's pretty much been the case since he was put in office. as has been seen time and time again, the republicans in the senate and the house, plus the base would never support it regardless of what is shown. y'all are all in with this clown despite him being a horrible person and president and the rest of us are stuck with him until at least the next election.
I can see why you feel the way you do but I'm not so sure. Still a ton of time before the election next year. Anything can happen.

In the meantime, I'm interested in how strategies play out.

hollisx4

1st Team
Aug 29, 2005
Columbiana, AL.

Looks like y'all are in with us whether you want to be or not.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
yeah, i'm well aware of, and also greatly embarrassed by that. naively, i thought our country was better than this.
This country's most popular shows are reality TV. People cannot go 10 seconds without looking at their phone. They have the attention span of a dog in the park (squirrel). People are morons and they elected a reality TV star as president, I doubt it gets better. Idiocracy is here and it will not be long before the powers that be ban being intelligent.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
This country's most popular shows are reality TV. People cannot go 10 seconds without looking at their phone. They have the attention span of a dog in the park (squirrel). People are morons and they elected a reality TV star as president, I doubt it gets better. Idiocracy is here and it will not be long before the powers that be ban being intelligent.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
and most of those folks don't even realize what they've done

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Last edited:

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007
Interesting that we haven't seen you on here condemning all the arrested Republicans over the last couple of years. Maybe you just happened to miss all of that news.
that IS one of the main problems we have all gone to our own corner and aren't keeping up with what is really going on. I personally believe both ends are and have been playing against the middle (read as common cititzens) and no matter who wins they all win. If we just stop and think about the fact that government officials all seem to grow their wealth much faster than their salary would allow. Where is their emoluments clause?

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
that IS one of the main problems we have all gone to our own corner and aren't keeping up with what is really going on. I personally believe both ends are and have been playing against the middle (read as common cititzens) and no matter who wins they all win. If we just stop and think about the fact that government officials all seem to grow their wealth much faster than their salary would allow. Where is their emoluments clause?
i haven't seen anyone actually in the corner of the crooked baltimore mayor

sabanball

All-American
Jan 4, 2006
High Cotton
#flashbackfriday

democrats then democrats now. pure evil

In 1975 First Lady of the United States Rosalynn Carter was photographed with serial killer John Wayne Gacy Jr., who was later convicted of the murders of 33 teenage boys, who he buried in his basement, until it became too full, at which point he began throwing the bodies off a bridge. Gacy was known to his neighbors as a friendly, gregarious person, active in the community and volunteering widely. His photo with the First Lady came about because of his participation in Democratic Party politics

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.