What is this "Fear the Thumb" thing?

ncbama

Suspended
Jun 1, 2003
Albemarle NC
Being 67 years old I am very much aware that many of the modern cliches go right by me. However, 67 years have not dimmed my curiosity. Would someone please tell me what this "Fear the Thumb" thing refers to.

SavannahDare

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Gulf Breeze, Florida
Auburn's beaten us four years in a row. They have tshirts with Aubie holding up four fingers and the logo saying "fear the thumb," suggesting a fifth defeat is next in line.

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
the thumb being the 5th digit on the hand......awburn going for 5th win in a row against UA this year....Tubby holding up 4 fingers after last years game.....

ncbama

Suspended
Jun 1, 2003
Albemarle NC
SavannahDare said:
Auburn's beaten us four years in a row. They have tshirts with Aubie holding up four fingers and the logo saying "fear the thumb," suggesting a fifth defeat is next in line.
To quote a very famous Alabamian, Gomer Pyle, "Thank ye, thank ye, thank ye."

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
A lot of Bama fans resent the "Fear the Thumb" thing, but I have to admit I think it's pretty funny. If the shoe was on the other foot and we were looking for our fifth straight win over our instate rivals we'd all think it was great. But under the circumstances we don't care for it too much.

OTOH, with the latest developments on the Plains, the "Fear the Dumb" phrase is a great comeback. Hilarious!

TexasTideFan

All-American
Feb 6, 2003
Kingwood, TX
mlh said:
A lot of Bama fans resent the "Fear the Thumb" thing
If I was the coaching staff, I would have that plastered all over the locker room every day so the players could see it. I would do a little more for the O-Linemen that played in the Iron Bowl last year. I would make them wear the shirt on campus, once a week, along with Got 12, 11 Times.

Alanbama27

All-American
Sep 24, 2003
Hoover, Alabama, USA
In the same light, I wish that we had come up with the t-shirts saying "FEAR THE DECADE"!!! After all, we just beat them 10 straight...we didn't come up with stupid cliche's about it.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Alanbama27 said:
In the same light, I wish that we had come up with the t-shirts saying "FEAR THE DECADE"!!! After all, we just beat them 10 straight...we didn't come up with stupid cliche's about it.
My thoughts exactly! However, when we do get on another win streak against Auburn, get ready for the cliches.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
TexasTideFan said:
If I was the coaching staff, I would have that plastered all over the locker room every day so the players could see it. I would do a little more for the O-Linemen that played in the Iron Bowl last year. I would make them wear the shirt on campus, once a week, along with Got 12, 11 Times.

I know this would never happen and would be viewed as counter productive by most on this board but it would definitely make a point. CMS should have made the entire OL and Coach Bob Connelly wear Auburn shirts around campus and during this offseason's practices. :biggrin2:

rkwilkerson

All-American
Feb 20, 2006
Tuscaloosa, AL
I agree, b/c it would have made the situation personal.....

Those guys won't "half-***" it again,

That Britt boy seemed to be the problem, he gave it alot of effort, but he was a horrible Center.

Our offensive line was only as strong as our weakest link, Britt was the weakest link.

Caldwell has got them working together.

Atlantatide

BamaNation Citizen
Jun 7, 2002
Atlanta, GA, USA
Alanbama27 said:
I remember seeing a bumper sticker when Coach Bryant won his 315th game.

3+1+5= 9 in a row. Anybody else remember this?

Roll Tide

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
TexasTideFan said:
The way things are today you'd probably get sued for something like that. Heck, a few years ago (I think it was during the meltdown of the 2000 season) some of the players complained bitterly because the coaches were getting in their faces and yelling at them.

When I was in HS, we lost our first game one year and played so poorly that our HC kicked us out of our own locker room. Only one guy graded well enough to stay. The rest of us had to earn our way back in. He also locked the visitors locker room so we couldn't simply use it instead. There were a few guys who were lugging their equipment around and changing in the gym for half the season. It was pretty funny, actually, and it sure got us motivated.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Atlantatide said:
I remember seeing a bumper sticker when Coach Bryant won his 315th game.

3+1+5= 9 in a row. Anybody else remember this?

Roll Tide
I remember 28+17=315, because the score was 28-17, but it was stacked like this so each column of digits was added separately:

2 8
1 7
----
3 15

TexasTideFan

All-American
Feb 6, 2003
Kingwood, TX
mlh said:
The way things are today you'd probably get sued for something like that.
Probably. However, I can only imagine the motivational tactics that Coach Bryant would be using with a 4 game skid to the Cow College. Then again, if he was still leaning on goalposts, we wouldn't be in this position.

TurningTide

1st Team
Dec 17, 2004
cbi1972 said:
I remember 28+17=315, because the score was 28-17, but it was stacked like this so each column of digits was added separately:

2 8
1 7
----
3 15
wow...that one was a reach. I liked the 3 +1+5 = 9 one though.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.