Question: What is this team’s biggest obstacle to winning a National Championship?

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
It’s the off week. What’s is it going to take for this Bama team to win number 19?
We will have to beat ALABAMA. We beat ourselves with malaise when we showed up and sleep walked thru the TAMU game.

Our biggest threat is that we sometimes don't play Alabama Football.
We must play to win for 60 minutes. No half measures.

Reactions: bamatude and Con

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
We will see about Georgia. Nick Saban did what he had to do following 2013 and it brought 6 playoffs in 7 seasons, playing for the NC in 5 of them and winning 3. Meanwhile, Georgia has resisted change, had 1 playoff, 1 NC appearance, which resulted in a loss to us.

If they get us this year it will be more about catching us in a rebuilding year than it will be proof that their way of doing things has cycled back into favor. They are also blessed with playing in the weaker division. If we don’t get them, I’m not ready to bet they cruise to a title. 2019 LSU they are not.
And all this talk of pushing Bama around; Bama manhandled the 3rd ranked offense (Ole Miss) and beat number 9 (Florida) and 23 (Vols). Bama is at 10. Georgia’s offense is ranked 43, and Kentucky was the highest ranked defense they’ve faced at 23. Florida will be the highest ranked offense they will face. If they hold them to 10 points go ahead and crown them national champs.
Bama had a bad defensive game against the Aggies; this ain’t the same defense now. The offense would likely be top five easy if not for the Oline and receivers.
The only thing that will beat Bama is Bama. They play a full sixty minutes virtually error- free and they would beat anybody - going away. Question is if they have the ability to maintain that focus for a full game; I don’t think we’ll know the answer until at least the rArkansas game, or maybe even the Barn game, is over.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
winning baseball is largely NOT doing the wrong thing.
winning football is largely DOING the right thing - because YOU ARE gonna do PLENTY of wrong things simply because getting 11 people to do what they need to do all at the same time is nearly impossible.

We're not doing the right thing enough, particularly on defense, and it's largely a product of youth. Consider ourselves fortunate, though. Clemson is now dealing with their own attrition issues and discovering that while Saban may be the Beatles at cranking out the hits, Dabo is Barry McGuire or Bobby McFadden - a "one-hit wonder" who cannot match his high.

Reactions: bamatude and Con

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
At this point, we're a 2- or 3-loss team IF the issues aren't fixed. Thus far, we've been fortunate other than the Aggie game, and even that night we were kinda fortunate to have it in our hands near the end.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
As someone posted in one of the game threads, this is a very talented team with many flaws. The question I have is “Are we putting our players in the best position to be successful?”. Why are we’ll still seeing misalignment and players out of position so often on defense in the eighth game of the season? Why are we still having issues being physical at the LOS with the oline and handing off assignments when shown various defensive looks?
A perfect illustration is Josh Jobe still looking to get a defensive call when UT is snapping the ball and their wideout is running past him. Is that an issue of Josh not being prepared or coaches trying to give him too much to analyze pre-snap?
This team, talent wise, is capable of boat racing the teams left on our regular season schedule. This team is also perfectly capable of playing every team “into the game” like we have done several times this year.

Reactions: SkullDuckery

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
Alabama's leadership/mentality
Beating Auburn and UGA (twice)
Playcalling/execution on both sides of the ball
O line has to improve

I feel confident in the team making it to Atlanta. Right now, I am not so sure Bama can beat UGA even though I think it would be a close game. Even with a loss to UGA, giving Bama 2 losses, I think Bama is still one of the 4 best teams, but a 2 loss team will most likely not make the playoffs unless it is the first time ever that it happens.

Roll Tide!

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Alabama's leadership/mentality
Beating Auburn and UGA (twice)
Playcalling/execution on both sides of the ball
O line has to improve

I feel confident in the team making it to Atlanta. Right now, I am not so sure Bama can beat UGA even though I think it would be a close game. Even with a loss to UGA, giving Bama 2 losses, I think Bama is still one of the 4 best teams, but a 2 loss team will most likely not make the playoffs unless it is the first time ever that it happens.

Roll Tide!
Yeah we can probably reach Atlanta, Auburn’s one-game season at home being a serious challenge. But at this point we will be depending on UGA to UGA in order to beat them, too.

I’m optimistic the off week will provide opportunities and growth in doing the right thing.

ATLBAMAFAN

3rd Team
Feb 2, 2005
We will see about Georgia. Nick Saban did what he had to do following 2013 and it brought 6 playoffs in 7 seasons, playing for the NC in 5 of them and winning 3. Meanwhile, Georgia has resisted change, had 1 playoff, 1 NC appearance, which resulted in a loss to us.

If they get us this year it will be more about catching us in a rebuilding year than it will be proof that their way of doing things has cycled back into favor. They are also blessed with playing in the weaker division. If we don’t get them, I’m not ready to bet they cruise to a title. 2019 LSU they are not.
no doubt he did what he had to do. Glad he did. I think the pendulum is swinging back and to me our lack of physicality upfront on offense and our inside backers is evident and we are fortunate to not have 2 losses.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
no doubt he did what he had to do. Glad he did. I think the pendulum is swinging back and to me our lack of physicality upfront on offense and our inside backers is evident and we are fortunate to not have 2 losses.
Yet Bama is also literally a play away from being undefeated right now.

No, this team isn't as complete as we're accustomed to, but the pieces are there - if the staff can get all cylinders firing in proper order...

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
It’s the off week. What’s is it going to take for this Bama team to win number 19?
See 2010, 2019. Our defense is complex, it takes a while to get it down so that a player can play in-phase, in-the-zone so to speak.

Just youth mostly. That's it. Talent is definitely there to win it all this season and will be even better next year.

Still, 2017 was similar in some ways but we somehow won a NC maybe because Clemson was more mediocre than us on offense and Georgia didn't prepare for a backup QB.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
And all this talk of pushing Bama around; Bama manhandled the 3rd ranked offense (Ole Miss) and beat number 9 (Florida) and 23 (Vols). Bama is at 10. Georgia’s offense is ranked 43, and Kentucky was the highest ranked defense they’ve faced at 23. Florida will be the highest ranked offense they will face. If they hold them to 10 points go ahead and crown them national champs.
Bama had a bad defensive game against the Aggies; this ain’t the same defense now. The offense would likely be top five easy if not for the Oline and receivers.
The only thing that will beat Bama is Bama. They play a full sixty minutes virtually error- free and they would beat anybody - going away. Question is if they have the ability to maintain that focus for a full game; I don’t think we’ll know the answer until at least the rArkansas game, or maybe even the Barn game, is over.
it will be interesting to see which florida shows up this week. mullen seems to be losing his grip

Tiderollin32

All-SEC
Mar 12, 2012
See 2010, 2019. Our defense is complex, it takes a while to get it down so that a player can play in-phase, in-the-zone so to speak.

Just youth mostly. That's it. Talent is definitely there to win it all this season and will be even better next year.

Still, 2017 was similar in some ways but we somehow won a NC maybe because Clemson was more mediocre than us on offense and Georgia didn't prepare for a backup QB.
I hear people say this but then wonder who is young out there? This defense has been intact for almost 3 years with the same players. This was the defense that we watched play against Duke to open the season 3 years ago and said once there older they will be fine. Our issues aren’t youth.

If we are talking about offense we have some first year starters out there but we are also 8 games in. Offense for the lack of protection for Bryce gets has steadily paced along and we are 2nd in the nation with PPG at 45.9.

If we win it all this year it won’t because we are older or experienced, it will because the team gets out of there own way and Golding learns to communicate where players can react rather than think.

jashleyren2

1st Team
Aug 27, 2018
It's very clear to me, and has been since week 1 against Miami, that this team is not going to play 4 full quarters of football. That won't work against UGA, even Auburn. You can get away with it against MState, Tenn, even Florida, which seemed like a "wake up call" at the time. Now, nah. Florida isn't great. Athletic, competitive, yes. But not up to where they were last year.

Veteran leadership is just not there. They need that against Auburn, who will be playing in their own "national title game" on November 27. It's that way every year. You always get everything they have, at their place, new head coach, odd year, more on the line for Bama than them, and their own refs. You will need 4 full quarters of solid football. Doesn't have to be perfect, but these drops, these missed tackles, these early starts and errant throws that occasionally show from Bryce, won't suffice against them.

Right now, I'm expecting Bama to manage the rest of the schedule, play UGA at 11-1, and struggle in that game. I'm also kept awake at night with the thought that Bama is going to meet AU at The Pasture, Bama 10-1, Auburn 8-2, and the West on the line. A highly motivated AU team, at their place, is deadly.

Reactions: deliveryman35

jashleyren2

1st Team
Aug 27, 2018
it's a massive long shot, but i am going to lmao if ky wins out and ga drops uf and ut
I don't see it happening. UGA got their off week at just the right time. UK was never really going to threaten them. UT seems to be similar, but lacks any semblance of depth. UT won't be able to manage enough offense to keep UGA off the field. UGA is going to go 12-0, and I think they are the favorite to win in Atlanta, whether Alabama is lucky enough to get there, or it's someone else from the division that stumbles into the game (Miss, aTm, Auburn).

Reactions: 92tide

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.