Question: What is this team’s biggest obstacle to winning a National Championship?

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I don't see it happening. UGA got their off week at just the right time. UK was never really going to threaten them. UT seems to be similar, but lacks any semblance of depth. UT won't be able to manage enough offense to keep UGA off the field. UGA is going to go 12-0, and I think they are the favorite to win in Atlanta, whether Alabama is lucky enough to get there, or it's someone else from the division that stumbles into the game (Miss, aTm, Auburn).
likely not, but jawjuh is very full of themselves. and november can bring surprises.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Here's my constant concern (sorry if this has already been mentioned): I think we have a problem of getting ourselves into too many 3rd down and long situations.

Now, granted, we've done quite well statistically in those situations this year, but I'm afraid there'll be a game against a better opponent later in the year when we won't be able to convert 3rd downs and our offense won't be able to put up as many points.

I'm not even going to mention our defensive propensity for giving up big/busted plays for TDs, but if all this happens in a tight game, we lose another one and the NC is out the door for the 2021 season.

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
Biggest Obstacle? - Playing focused Alabama Football for 60 minutes each week.

We have to finish the season strong and decisive to remain in the top 4 and make it to Atlanta. If we stumble at all the committee will react in much the same fashion as 3 years ago when we dropped from #5 to #13 which, IMO, was simply because they didn't want another Bama championship possibility. UGA will usually stumble over their own feet at some point during the regular season and if that happens it'll be this weekend against UF or at the Puke Orange trash throwing convention 2 weeks later. The Dawgs are enjoying the same luxury we had last year with a better than average defense and a very experienced cohesive offensive line. I think we beat them in a close one in a championship setting like we always do. Kirby sometimes outsmarts himself and they haven't really been tested as of yet.

Reactions: jashleyren2

jashleyren2

1st Team
Aug 27, 2018
Biggest Obstacle? - Playing focused Alabama Football for 60 minutes each week.

We have to finish the season strong and decisive to remain in the top 4 and make it to Atlanta. If we stumble at all the committee will react in much the same fashion as 3 years ago when we dropped from #5 to #13 which, IMO, was simply because they didn't want another Bama championship possibility. UGA will usually stumble over their own feet at some point during the regular season and if that happens it'll be this weekend against UF or at the Puke Orange trash throwing convention 2 weeks later. The Dawgs are enjoying the same luxury we had last year with a better than average defense and a very experienced cohesive offensive line. I think we beat them in a close one in a championship setting like we always do. Kirby sometimes outsmarts himself and they haven't really been tested as of yet.
Yep. It's going to take 4 full quarters against the likes of Auburn/Georgia, and in the playoffs. I'll even make a BOLD prediction and say that we can have a quarter off against the likes of a Cincinnati or an Oregon/Michigan/Michigan State, because none of those schools have quite the depth of talent. Even Oklahoma is taking whole halves "off" too, and is finding a way to win. They could very realistically have 3 losses right now, but they don't.

But against Ohio State? Georgia? And perennial pain in the butt, Auburn? Be prepared to strap it on and go 60 full minutes, or else.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Yep. It's going to take 4 full quarters against the likes of Auburn/Georgia, and in the playoffs. I'll even make a BOLD prediction and say that we can have a quarter off against the likes of a Cincinnati or an Oregon/Michigan/Michigan State, because none of those schools have quite the depth of talent. Even Oklahoma is taking whole halves "off" too, and is finding a way to win. They could very realistically have 3 losses right now, but they don't.

But against Ohio State? Georgia? And perennial pain in the butt, Auburn? Be prepared to strap it on and go 60 full minutes, or else.
Here is what statements like these do not consider.

Why is it assumed that Georgia/Auburn/Etc will play a "full 4 quarters" against us? Auburn hasn't done this all year against anyone. Georgia has not had to and in fact has not either. Again, simply because they haven't been pushed to the limit (unless you count Clemson who has turned about to be VERY average).

We often focus way too much on Alabama's shortcomings and never focus on the rest of the world's. That's why I reject any notion of "WE MUST DO THIS" or there is NO CHANCE of a title. Imperfect teams win championships all the time. Last year's Alabama team is the anomaly. Even 2019 LSU was full of flaws. They just lucked up and never faced anyone capable of fully exploiting them.

bamadwain

All-American
Oct 8, 2018
Jackson Tn

Why is it assumed that Georgia/Auburn/Etc will play a "full 4 quarters" against us? Auburn hasn't done this all year against anyone. Georgia has not had to and in fact has not either. Again, simply because they haven't been pushed to the limit (unless you count Clemson who has turned about to be VERY average).

We often focus way too much on Alabama's shortcomings and never focus on the rest of the world's. That's why I reject any notion of "WE MUST DO THIS" or there is NO CHANCE of a title. Imperfect teams win championships all the time. Last year's Alabama team is the anomaly. Even 2019 LSU was full of flaws. They just lucked up and never faced anyone capable of fully exploiting them.
Georgia has not played anyone with a pulse on offense including Clemson

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC

I don't assume this. I do however know that good teams wanting to "Slay the Giant" in their own territory (see Jimbo & aTm) have given us trouble and we're playing at "The Barn" this year.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
I hope someone at one of the press conference asks CNS what areas he is focusing on this week to get the team through the homestretch. It's a good time for a bye week so we can tune up and fix our weaknesses.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009

Every team has flaws. LSU 2019 had strengths that way outweighed theirs; simply put, no one could outscore them. They were the best team in 2019 (no “If Tua hadn’t been hurt” comments, either).
I don’t see Bama’s offense this year much differently because the defense can get stops; they (offense) just have a tendency to stop themselves.
Bama usually gets the best game out of their opponents simply because of who they are; upsetting Bama makes most teams’ seasons. And Bama’s best game so far this year would have everyone on edge against the Hogs or the Barn and if they played lights out it might not be enough.
Bama has to get better - even CNS knows what is likely to happen if they don’t. Georgia is much better than the Barn or the Hogs and they are extremely efficient and opportunistic. Bama’s best might beat the brakes off of the Dawgs; but less than that will definitely make it close unless Georgia doesn’t show up.

alamojo

Jan 8, 2018
There are 4 Obstacles.
1) It has to win out the Regular Season.
2) It has to win SEC Conference Championship.
3) OC has to be able to make adjustments.
4) DC has to be able to make adjustments.

With all that being said?

Look to the game against the Aggies. Zero adjustment by the OC. At the least keep a tight end in and have him pick up the extra linebacker when they stacked the blind side with 2 linebackers. And when not needed to pick up the linebacker, he can go down field for a pass.

Zero adjustment by the DC. how long before you go to man to man coverage and stop the vertical pass completion down the center of the field. And how about doing some copy-catting....stack the blind side with 2 linebackers just like they are doing.

Kirby Smart could make adjustments on the field. He did not have to wait to go into the locker room.

Last edited:

Bama Lee

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Dallas, TX
They are their own worst enemy...lots of talent, but inconsistencies show up from week to week. Pretty normal for a "young" squad -- I know I've been beating this drum all year, but it's true. If we can somehow win out we have a great chance in the playoffs.
I agree with this, but I would throw in the Coordinators consistincies in calling plays. I saw a huge improvement in Pete Golding play calling. The players are continually bailing out BOB on offense

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
On one play last night Evan Neal completely ignored Byron Young who was lined up just off his left shoulder giving him an unimpeded direct path to Bryce Young. Perhaps with more experience Bryce will move up to the line and point out blocking assignments but that entails greater speed on play calling from the OC on down. Difficult to understand such a complete missed assignment at this point in the season.
fwiw, neal was a p.o.t.w. this week

Evan Neal

• Did not allow a sack, hurry or pressure on 43 pass attempts while adding one knockdown block
  • Cleared a path for 203 rushing yards and five touchdowns on the ground
  • Also blocked for 371 passing yards and two more scores

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
fwiw, neal was a p.o.t.w. this week

My eyes deceive me I guess. I would have to watch the 3rd qtr. to review the play. I have to say that we all saw Byron Young in the backfield a lot during that 3rd qtr. in particular.

buckeyeFB_

3rd Team
Jun 24, 2019
We will see about Georgia. Nick Saban did what he had to do following 2013 and it brought 6 playoffs in 7 seasons, playing for the NC in 5 of them and winning 3. Meanwhile, Georgia has resisted change, had 1 playoff, 1 NC appearance, which resulted in a loss to us.

If they get us this year it will be more about catching us in a rebuilding year than it will be proof that their way of doing things has cycled back into favor. They are also blessed with playing in the weaker division. If we don’t get them, I’m not ready to bet they cruise to a title. 2019 LSU they are not.
I agree.

Georgia appears to be the best team in the country at this point, but I don't see them as being unstoppable or "just too good" to lose. When I watched 2019 LSU and 2020 Alabama, I definitely saw them as being too good to lose. I just don't get that same impression from Georgia.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
My eyes deceive me I guess. I would have to watch the 3rd qtr. to review the play. I have to say that we all saw Byron Young in the backfield a lot during that 3rd qtr. in particular.
It may not have been Neal's man to block and our staff is usually pretty good grading tape.

• Thank You
Reactions: Con

JD95

All-American
Oct 18, 1999
Birmingham, AL
Regarding Auburn, it's very simple - we need them to lose two of their next four games. Under Saban, we've never beaten an Auburn team that finished with 9 wins or more, and we've never lost to an Auburn team that finished with 8 wins or less. If the Boogs split their next four games, they'll bring a 7-4 record into the Iron Bowl, and victory will be assured!

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN
Regarding Auburn, it's very simple - we need them to lose two of their next four games. Under Saban, we've never beaten an Auburn team that finished with 9 wins or more, and we've never lost to an Auburn team that finished with 8 wins or less. If the Boogs split their next four games, they'll bring a 7-4 record into the Iron Bowl, and victory will be assured!
Let’s face it. Auburn gets validation when they beat us. Nix is the wild card…depending on how he plays is what determines their fate.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
They just need to lose once, and we just need to win out. If the West division is on the line when we travel there, Katy bar the door. If we have already clenched the West, we will win.

If both of us are out of the running, again, Katy bar the door. They do best against us when they have more than pride to play for. If they are only playing for pride, they'll lay down and die after 3 quarters or so.

I am not sold that they beat Ole Miss or Texas A&M.

Also, I agree Nix is the wildcard. But he didn't have a great game against us in 2019. Pretty mediocre, actually, But he made a couple of insane plays, which were more dependent upon our defense screwing up. Yes.. I realize what I am saying as it pertains to this year's defense. The difference for us is that Bryce Young will have a full season under his belt by then, and has played very well in some tough environments already. Mac was still learning the ropes, and taking over for an injured Tua.

Reactions: 92tide

Power Eye

All-SEC
Aug 3, 2005
Before we run the white flag up the pole, just who in the heck that has a pulse on offense has UGA played? Vandy, UAB, S Carolina, Clemson? Is UK an elite offense? What true road test have they had, Vanderbilt? AU is getting better but are they the team that is the litmus test? New coach, new staff, new system early in the year? If Gus had been on the sideline Kirby would’ve been in the fetal position.

UGA isn’t an unstoppable force on offense. Who would you rather face at QB, Corral at Ole Miss, King at Miami, Coach Leach at MSU, or Thurston Howell III at UGA?
I’ll let this play out but we won’t lay down and they haven’t played an offense that is as explosive as we are when we’re clicking.
I agree completely. This is not to say that Georgia isn't an extremely good defensive team, but they have not seen an offense that scares anyone. Honestly, Kentucky or Arkansas is the best offense they've faced and both are one dimensional. On top of that, Georgia relies heavily on establishing the run to get any traction in the passing game. I think that plays very well into our favor defensively.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.