What is up with Christian Harris' play?

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
NOt linking to the other board... but someone posted defensive snap count for Alabama defense and Wow.... DB/ILB starter played 100 percent snap in the game while OLB played around 85 percent in the game.

Would explain why the team was exhausted. What's weird is that Saban spoke about that after Clemson national championship game where we lost and he said same thing, and yet we're dealing with this again.
Yeah, this doesn’t make sense.
When a team goes fast, you can't substitute.
Yes, but they weren’t going that fast. they had like 5 possessions in the second half. There were opportunities to substitute, especially with the penalties. And with the three deep, the only pposition that’s thin is middle backer. But Moody does have experience and so does Shane Lee, although slow of foot speed. D835D404-862C-47D3-8CB0-6C1B0D7DD1E5.png

Reactions: kyallie and B1GTide

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I doubt C. Harris was ever on the receiving end of a hold by a gator player. He was rarely close enough to the play for the need to be held.
That’s not what I was talking about. When you hold on the edge it forces the OLBs to go wider to try to get around the tackles. That widens the running lanes. Too wide and the RB can pick his hole.

then it becomes a guessing game for 8 and 10. And if they guess wrong the RB can blow past them OR they have to stay closer to the line vs dropping back to the right distance to defend the short cross.

Reactions: kyallie

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
We will have the same issues with Ole Miss' offense as well, and I think this is where @crimsonaudio has an issue with Golding (and to some degree rightfully so). When playing against offensive coaches like Mullen, Kiffin, Sark, etc, you're going against offensive minds that are VERY, VERY good at what they do. They're not just "good", they're some of the best in the country at what they do offensively. So, any DC going against them has to be able to compete against them on their level or they will constantly be two steps behind, as we saw Saturday when it was basically Golding against Mullen.

It's not just about watching film, these guys are able to make in game adjustments and implement them without ever practicing them during the week. Things that didn't show up on the film during the prep week. That's when a DC has to be able to be creative and make the same level of adjustments but on the defensive side. I just don't think Golding operates at that level.
Yup..I really wish Coach Saban would promote Coach Sal to DC..He seems like a better defensive minded coach & has more experience than Golding..

WishIwasInBama

1st Team
Jul 17, 2005
Okinawa Japan
I wish they would change holding to 5 yards versus 10. I think the fact that holding pretty much destroys drives makes the offensive happy officials reluctant to call. Make it hurt less but call it enough to where O-Linemen have to be honest.

With all that, Its not like Bama's O-line is getting called for holding either so why aren't we gashing the way they were? I'm not a big Golding fan either, not sure if it is all on him or not but when is the last time we confused an opposing QB they way we used to? We get pressures, sacks and turnovers but to me these days seem more like great athletes making great plays. Where is the Javier Arenas style DB blitz or the QB being lost because of our "NFL" scheme? Could all be me but it just seems like every year it's a young ILB that does all the calls, young DB's, lack of depth as the excuse under Golding. He just doesn't seem to adjust very well during the flow of a game.

The next day I coach a football game will be my first but my one and only knock on Coach Saban is they way he doesn't build depth against cupcakes. He'll put them in but usually after the game is out of hand and the other's team original game plan is shot and they are just chunking it every down. His way is definitely better than anything I can come up but with the way he has to trust they have it down. To me the bar for a Southern Miss shouldn't be as high as the Bar for a Florida.

Last edited:

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I wish they would change holding to 5 yards versus 10. I think the fact that holding pretty much destroys drives makes the offensive happy officials reluctant to call. Make it hurt less but call it enough to where O-Linemen have to be honest.

With all that, Its not like Bama's O-line is getting called for holding either so why aren't we gashing the way they were? I'm not a big Golding fan either, not sure if it is all on him or not but when is the last time we confused an opposing QB they way we used to? We get pressures, sacks and turnovers but to me these days seem more like great athletes making great plays. Where is the Javier Arenas style DB blitz or the QB being lost because of our "NFL" scheme? Could all be me but it just seems like every year it's a young ILB that does all the calls, young DB's, lack of depth as the excuse under Golding. He just doesn't seem to adjust very well during the flow of a game.

The next day I coach a football game will be my first but my one and only knock on Coach Saban is they way he doesn't build depth against cupcakes. He'll put them in but usually after the game is out of hand and the other's team original game plan is shot and they are just chunking it every down. His way is definitely better than anything I can come up with they way he has to trust they have it down but to me the bar for a Southern Miss shouldn't be as high as the Bar for a Florida.
Remember. Depth is important. But building stamina in your best is also important. The year Tua came out after the first 3rd quarter drive almost every game hurt them from a stamina and Chemistry standpoint at times.

But I do wish we rotated more. Especially at ILB and Safety

Windsortide

All-American
Nov 11, 2019
Harris made the big hit early in the game getting me all fired up. Then he disappeared for large portions of the game.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
Check out these plays:

#1 - 20 and 10 don't do their jobs. Drew is supposed to get the back and Henry should get the QB. Instead they get neither. A d-lineman has to make the tackle for them.

#2 - Christian Harris just stands around until the play is over.

#3 - Look at the "effort" from #9 here. Battle has to give a little effort here.

#4 - Henry has absolutely no idea what he's doing on this play.

Just an awful game from a lot of guys.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Yup..I really wish Coach Saban would promote Coach Sal to DC..He seems like a better defensive minded coach & has more experience than Golding..
What makes you think Nick Saban is not the DC? He has been since he has been in Tuscaloosa. The DC position has always been a mentorship. First Kirby, then Jeremy now Pete... If you have a problem with the way the D is performing then you need to focus your ire on the boss of the D, not the manager.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
What makes you think Nick Saban is not the DC? He has been since he has been in Tuscaloosa. The DC position has always been a mentorship. First Kirby, then Jeremy now Pete... If you have a problem with the way the D is performing then you need to focus your ire on the boss of the D, not the manager.
I agree without doubt Coach Saban has a hand before games in game planning, but, Golding is still the one calling in the defensive formations each play during games..

Reactions: imauafan

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I agree without doubt Coach Saban has a hand before games in game planning, but, Golding is still the one calling in the defensive formations each play during games..
Agreed, because if not, the camera sure did get a lot of shots of Saban ripping Golding a new one back in 2019. I don't think he'd be getting his butt chewed by Saban if Saban is the one calling the defenses during the game.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Agreed, because if not, the camera sure did get a lot of shots of Saban ripping Golding a new one back in 2019. I don't think he'd be getting his butt chewed by Saban if Saban is the one calling the defenses during the game.
Exactly & I agree 100% BB..Just like the famous butt chewing Coach Saban gave Kiffin during one of our games on live TV..

Coach Saban has said in interviews he has a hand in game planning, on both sides of the ball each game & during games he allows his coordinators too do their jobs calling plays..

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Coach is ripping butts constantly during the games...coaches, players, refs, you name it. Good at it too. But he is the Defense no ifs, ands or buts about it. And if Pete were not up to the task he would be gone. He is still there which tells me that Saban has his manager. So again, if we want to critique the defense then look to the big boss because Pete is just carrying out orders.

Reactions: BamaInCummingGA

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
No…just…no…

Reactions: TideMan09

BamaHoops

3rd Team
Jan 13, 2019
I'm not smart enough to figure out CH's issues on Saturday.

But I am smart enough to recognize this: Before the season I thought we would have the best D in the nation. That will not happen - Kiffin licking his chops - Ole Miss will hang 45 or more on us. We've got tons of experience and talent on D. But there seems to be an ongoing issue with communications and schemes. I hope Golding eventually succeeds. But thus far in his tenure as DC our defense has really underperformed. relative to the talent available.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.