Question: What Is Your Favorite Moment (Not Game) Of The Saban Era?

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
I'm surprised to see Tebow crying/Ingram and Julio taping the gator chomp shut not listed on here. To me the 09 SEC Championship game is still Saban's greatest game. We ended Florida's run and took over the SEC from that point forward.

I'll list some random ones as well. Vinnie Sunseri's Pick Six against Johnny Football. That's a play I'll always remember. The kneel down against Texas and Eli saying the roses in this grand old stadium are once again Crimson, gives me chills every time I hear it. Codey blocking the last fg against Tennessee, blocked again Codey again!

So many great moments I like threads like these to relieve them all.

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL
I'm surprised to see Tebow crying/Ingram and Julio taping the gator chomp shut not listed on here. To me the 09 SEC Championship game is still Saban's greatest game. We ended Florida's run and took over the SEC from that point forward.

I'll list some random ones as well. Vinnie Sunseri's Pick Six against Johnny Football. That's a play I'll always remember. The kneel down against Texas and Eli saying the roses in this grand old stadium are once again Crimson, gives me chills every time I hear it. Codey blocking the last fg against Tennessee, blocked again Codey again!

So many great moments I like threads like these to relieve them all.

Even with all the national title game victories. The 09 sec championship game is still my favorite win of all time.

Reactions: selmaborntidefan

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
We were actually ranked I think. And I have this memory of Clemson being #3. I think they were 3 and we were 24. They were thought of as a NC contender. I remember they had this monster recruiting class that had come in and they started the freshman RB (it was a recruiting promise) over CJ Spiller, maybe? And the freshman promptly got stuffed on that first play.

That was the beginning of the end for Tommy Bowden.
I had picked that game a month earlier to be 30-20. On the morning of the game I said to myself, "self, this game is not going to be that close. Cody is going to crush their inexperienced OL. This game is going to be 34-13." How was I to know they were going to pass up the second FG late in the game and attempt to make a first down?

• Roll Tide!
Reactions: TideEngineer08

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Even with all the national title game victories. The 09 sec championship game is still my favorite win of all time.
I was a member of the Atlanta Sports Council at the time and worked the Fan Fare at that game. Told the guy I was working with that Bama was going to win 31-13. He, of course, looked at me as if I was insane.

AirGuardUA

Aug 18, 2022
I have three (two involve Rammer Jammer):

1. '08 Iron Bowl, when the band started up Rammer Jammer. Very euphoric feeling to end that streak.
2. The Rammer Jammer vs Tennessee in '07. That was just an incredible day and a foreshadowing of Saban's domination over the Vols. One of the loudest Rammer Jammer's in the Saban era.
3. The Julio catch vs UGA in '08 to make the score 31-0. Even though the team had already dominated Clemson, it still hadn't registered to me that "Alabama was back" until that moment.

Reactions: dtgreg

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL
I had picked that game a month earlier to be 30-20. On the morning of the game I said to myself, "self, this game is not going to be that close. Cody is going to crush their inexperienced OL. This game is going to be 34-13." How was I to know they were going to pass up the second FG late in the game and attempt to make a first down?
I can still go back and watch that 08 season.

I remember watching the game with my dad. and Musberger goes, "James davis...He's thunder" then he gets the ball only for Cody to blow through their OL and make a tackle for a loss.

My dad commented, "looks like thunder got rained out" :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I remember Mark May developing a man crush on mount Cody and giving high praise to Bama's Defense after the Arkansas game and said something like. "If you cannot throw the football consistently...You will not beat Alabama!!!"

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA
To this day the first few moments against Clemson in Atlanta, where Alabama was ranked like 50th and a huge underdog to Clemson who were maybe 11th or top 10. Mount Cody crushed their All American running back on consecutive plays. You just got this feeling that the football world had changed, and boy... was that feeling right.
Loved this, too. It was the second scrimmage play from Clemson (first down was a downfield pass attempt that Rashad Johnson should have intercepted). Kirk Herbstreit commented on Bowden's reputation for promising freshman signees the first opportunity of the season - thus the play action fake to true freshman Jamie Harper, who was in the backfield.

The second play was the handoff to the freshman Jamie Harper. He fumbled on the strip by Corey Reamer and Hightower recovered it. Cody was in the backfield and had an impact on the play, for sure.

Linkage

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
To this day the first few moments against Clemson in Atlanta, where Alabama was ranked like 50th and a huge underdog to Clemson who were maybe 11th or top 10. Mount Cody crushed their All American running back on consecutive plays. You just got this feeling that the football world had changed, and boy... was that feeling right.
We were watching that game at the lake with my wife's family. Her cousin was in his sophomore or junior year at Bama, and he came to the lake the next day because he was attending the game. I told him to enjoy his time at Bama because it was about to change. He replied that he had already been enjoying it, but I told him that attending UA has an entirely different feel when the football team is championship level. He later admitted that I was right. Roll Tide, Bama '92

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Reagan’s 11th commandment was, “thou shalt not disparage fellow Republicans.” Tidefans’ 11th commandment ought to be, “thou shall not say anything positive about anyone orange.”
I would add anything orange or tigers. I just got to thinking the other day about how many more championships we may have won under Saban if not for tigers (LSU, AU, Clemson). If not for those three teams, I think we may have another four or five. Just imagine how much hatred Bama would get if Saban had nine or ten at Bama. Roll Tide!

Probius

Hall of Fame
Mar 19, 2004
Birmingham, Alabama
For me, it's definitely 2nd and 26. There was the huge downswing followed by the gigantic upswing a few seconds later. I was so shocked when DeVonta caught that ball that I just stared at the screen for a few seconds before there was any reaction. I couldn't believe what I had just seen.

Reactions: BamaInBham

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL
For me, it's definitely 2nd and 26. There was the huge downswing followed by the gigantic upswing a few seconds later. I was so shocked when DeVonta caught that ball that I just stared at the screen for a few seconds before there was any reaction. I couldn't believe what I had just seen.
I just remember it being so surreal watching it. I swear it felt like the ball was in the air for 5 minutes. My mom and I were watching it in different rooms and we both ran and met each other at the kitchen screaming and hollering.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
I just remember it being so surreal watching it. I swear it felt like the ball was in the air for 5 minutes. My mom and I were watching it in different rooms and we both ran and met each other at the kitchen screaming and hollering.
I will never forget when I was refreshing the thread on my phone and saw “We won!” (don’t remember the poster) right before the snap, thanks to the WatchESPN delay. I didn’t believe it when I read it, but then I saw the throw and woke up the entire house.

Probius

Hall of Fame
Mar 19, 2004
Birmingham, Alabama
I know what you mean. I also remember the ball appearing to hang in the air for so long. It's funny too because when I watch the play now, the ball gets there so fast. It's like the ball came out of Tua's arm as if it came out of a cannon.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

Interesting personal note.

I was streaming that year on Sling (don't do it). I was following the game thread - but it was TWO FULL MINUTES AHEAD of me. And I had friends texting every big play. I began to realize that whatever happened, it was going to get spoiled for me.

So I turned my phone completely off AND my Internet - and just watched the game as if it was live.

Needless to say, when the dart hit Devonta for the win, it was the biggest rush you can imagine, and I got up to race to the phone knowing it would be loaded with messages.

I had to be at work at 6 am the next day; needless to say, I got maybe 2 hours' sleep before going in.

But it was worth it, too.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.