News Article: What we learned from A Day Scrimmage

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Agreed. If he can’t reliably make the catch, he can’t be depended on to perform his role, and therefore can’t be depended on to help the team.

It’s know it’s purely a mental thing. But if he can’t get it turned around, 100 other players plus all the coaches and support staff are adversely affected, and you have to look elsewhere.
Pressure is on Earle because Leary is about to grab that spot....

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Finally got to watch. Thoughts:

1. Not worried about the offense, yet. We know what we have in BY. Super impressed with our backups. Simpson has a gun and wheels. Milroe has potential too and I'd hate to try to tackle him in the open field.

2. #1 offense had to go against #1 defense is the story of A-day. Nuff said. I've got faith OL will work itself out.

3. Transfers are the real deal. Burton, Gibbs and Ricks are plug and play.

4. Drops/struggles in passing game. Weather was an issue and so was DEs. Not worth worrying over yet.

5. I was really impressed with the backup kicker and especially the punter. Had good, high and decently long punts.

6. We know the defense will be the backbone of this team, but I'm really excited about the playmakers we've got in the defensive backfield. I wouldn't be shocked to see our NOTs increase next year with INTs and kick returners.

Last edited:

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Agreed. If he can’t reliably make the catch, he can’t be depended on to perform his role, and therefore can’t be depended on to help the team.

It’s know it’s purely a mental thing. But if he can’t get it turned around, 100 other players plus all the coaches and support staff are adversely affected, and you have to look elsewhere.
IF HE CAN'T TURN IT AROUND, HE WILL BE WATCHING THE GAME FROM THE BENCH.

Reactions: Con

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Finally got to watch. Thoughts:

1. Not worried about the offense, yet. We know what we have in BY. Super impressed with our backups. Simpson has a gun and wheels. Milroe has potential too and I'd hate to try to tackle him in the open field.

2. #1 offense had to go against #1 defense is the story of A-day. Nuff said. I've got faith OL will work itself out.

3. Transfers are the real deal. Burton, Gibbs and Ricks are plug and play.

4. Drops/struggles in passing game. Weather was an issue and so was DEs. Not worth worrying over yet.

5. I was really impressed with the backup kicker and especially the punter. Had good, high and decently long punts.

6. We know the defense will be the backbone of this team, but I'm really excited about the playmakers we've got in the defensive backfield. I wouldn't be shocked to see our NOTs increase next year with INTs and kick returners.
Good point about the NOTs. I hadn’t considered that.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
The 21% body-fat is why.

Most people you see day-to-day have higher body-fat percentages.
At his weight, 21% is still 78 pounds of fat. He's made significant progress but still has a lot of work to do. He'll need to drop another 20 minimum and maybe as much as 40...

dtgreg

All-American
Jul 24, 2000
Tuscaloosa
www.electricmonkeywrench.com
At his weight, 21% is still 78 pounds of fat. He's made significant progress but still has a lot of work to do. He'll need to drop another 20 minimum and maybe as much as 40...
Would that be healthier? Maybe. I think I'll leave it to Saban and the Nutrition / Strength coaches to decide what he needs to do to play. He's gonna have 330# + people trying to push him around. He seems to carry his weight amazingly well.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Would that be healthier? Maybe. I think I'll leave it to Saban and the Nutrition / Strength coaches to decide what he needs to do to play. He's gonna have 330# + people trying to push him around. He seems to carry his weight amazingly well.
Since 2015, we've had a boat load of DTs drafted, and a couple of DEs who became DTs. The heaviest was D Payne at 311. Then Tomlinson and Barmore at 310. just so happens, the average NFL DT is also 310. Even if Oats loses 30-40 more pounds, he's 330-340, well above what our other successful DTs have carried.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I'm not sure what your background is or if you ever played football.

That said, body-fat % is far more important than weight in sports. We're not talking about heart-health, we're talking about explosiveness and power.

All you have to do is look at the many successful OL in the NFL that are well beyond 21% body-fat...

An athlete is an athlete.

Reactions: The Ols

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Since 2015, we've had a boat load of DTs drafted, and a couple of DEs who became DTs. The heaviest was D Payne at 311.
FWIW, Payne is 3" shorter than Oats (and currently listed at 320#). Three inches is an easy 30# in playing weight.

But if you're just looking at the numbers and haven't looked at the science behind them you'll miss the point.

Reactions: bama579

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
I'm not sure what your background is or if you ever played football.

That said, body-fat % is far more important than weight in sports. We're not talking about heart-health, we're talking about explosiveness and power.

All you have to do is look at the many successful OL in the NFL that are well beyond 21% body-fat...

An athlete is an athlete.
FWIW, Payne is 3" shorter than Oats (and currently listed at 320#). Three inches is an easy 30# in playing weight.

But if you're just looking at the numbers and haven't looked at the science behind them you'll miss the point.
The science behind the sport is definitely about power, and then some - i.e. explosiveness as you mentioned. If power is expressed in Watts, which is what is most commonly used in the field, then that is broken into force (pounds or kilos of pressure), and speed (how quickly that force is applied) to determine the watts of output. To translate that into applicable measurement, sports science will typically use watts/KG of body weight. someone who can produce 1500 watts and weights 370 pounds will have significantly less explosiveness than someone who produces 1500 watts and weighs 320. This is why even some players who have a lower body fat %, will still push to trim down, even though some of that mass might be muscle, because they can maintain most of their power at a somewhat lower weight so they end up with much greater explosiveness.

Reactions: smith5753

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.