Linebackers
Tailbacks
Defensive backs

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
rgw said:
I think Shula recruited LB pretty hard last year...the rest, I'd agree with you.
We took 3 last class.

Prince Hall - ILB - 6-0, 239 ***
Baron Huber - LB - 6-4, 240 **
Cory Reamer - LB - 6-3, 200 ***

Of course some think Jimmy Johns future lies at LB also. We will see.

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
Prince Hall, Zach Schreiber, and Eryk Anders are the ones who actually ended up playing LB in practice thus far.

We can speculate that Keys, Reamer, or Johns could end up at LB.

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
Dakotatider said:
I believe that we need is the following:

Offensive line
Wide receiver
Linebackers
Tailbacks
Defensive backs

OL: we are almost done there: Pharr, Ross, Stadler, maybe Motley, and hopefully Andre Smith

WR: Stover in the bag and we'll likely get 2 out of Alexander, Hawthorne, Fayson, C. Smith, and McCoy.

LB: Higgenbotham (greyshirt?), and will likely get 2/3 from: AJ Jones, Odom, T. Smith, Spikes, few others

RB: needed one, and we got him: Mike Ford

DB: Davis (S), Coger (CB), Johnson (CB), Sikes (S), Burnthall (S/LB), and maybe one more corner.

rtr1973

All-SEC
Jan 29, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Tailbacks? We don't really "need" any more RBs for two years (although you always make room for a Top 5 RB prospect).

Returning RBs and commits:
Ken Darby SR
Glen Coffee SO
Jimmy Johns SO (who may move to another position)
Aaron Johns SO* (if he works his way out of Shula's doghouse)
Roy Upchurch FR*
Ali Sharrief FR*
Mike Ford FR
* = has taken a redshirt year.

Now, if you'd said fullback, I'd probably agree with you.

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
runtheoption22 said:
I personally think Motley ends up at DT and we are heavily recruiting Ricks and Goggans.
I think Motley goes to DL, too, with the Smith commitment. I'm holding out hope for McClendon, too.

Goggans says he's being recruited as a tight end. I find that hard to believe unless we're about to implement Arizona State's Double Ace offense, but I'll go with Goggans' statement until I see differently.

Crimson Hawk

Hall of Fame
Dec 16, 2001
North Alabama
I think Motley goes to DL, too, with the Smith commitment. I'm holding out hope for McClendon, too.
Exactly how much hope would that be? :), & is there more of a reason to be optimistic that we think? Somehow getting Smith, and McClendon would almost be sensory overload! :eek:

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
Crimson Hawk said:
Exactly how much hope would that be? :), & is there more of a reason to be optimistic that we think? Somehow getting Smith, and McClendon would almost be sensory overload! :eek:
lots of rumors about his coaches being fired and etc....nothing with any merit that we know of for certain.....however, I do know that his mom approved of a decision change for Bama- which was originally not thought possible.

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
Roll_Tide_Gal said:
TE? That would give Bama 5 TEs of Sophomore or Freshman variety. Seems like too many, doesn't it?
I thought for certain he was being recruited as a DE/DT and I know he said that early in the process. However, if he now says as a TE, makes you wonder.

drsmithofga

1st Team
Dec 7, 2004
Regarding the Baylor School's coaches

runtheoption22 said:
lots of rumors about his coaches being fired and etc....nothing with any merit that we know of for certain.....however, I do know that his mom approved of a decision change for Bama- which was originally not thought possible.
Both Head Coach and Offensive Coordinator/Director of Player Development have been fired. . The OC is our own John Hannah, btw. Apparently, there were problems due to the HC thinking that Hog was being groomed to take over the program.

imaloyalone

Super Moderator
Jan 9, 2005
Northport, AL
I thought for certain he was being recruited as a DE/DT and I know he said that early in the process. However, if he now says as a TE, makes you wonder.
If this is correct, wouldn't it almost be quaranteed that at least one player/recruit will change positions? In that scenario, I could see a move by McCall to either FB, LB, or DL... or, it could be that Preson Dial would automatically be redshirted/grayshirted to allow for continued rehabilitation or simply to bulk up. Or, would that mean that CMS is going to implement more of a system with both a TE and an H-back?

ihatefulmer

All-American
Jan 26, 2004
Scottsboro
JessN said:

Goggans says he's being recruited as a tight end. I find that hard to believe unless we're about to implement Arizona State's Double Ace offense, but I'll go with Goggans' statement until I see differently.

I'm holding out hope for McClendon, too.
Have we narrowed the gap between u and UT for this guy? Could someone give us a list in order of his leaders?

ihatefulmer

All-American
Jan 26, 2004
Scottsboro
drsmithofga said:
Both Head Coach and Offensive Coordinator/Director of Player Development have been fired. . The OC is our own John Hannah, btw. Apparently, there were problems due to the HC thinking that Hog was being groomed to take over the program.

I didn't realize John was into coaching. It seems he would be a heck of a O-line coach. How has some major U. not have him on their staff? I'm not just talking about Bama either.

Last edited:

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
Rich,

Dial does not need to bulk up or rehab. His knee is fine and he already has a great body for the H-back position which is what he was told he would play. It is possible that another guy on the team changes positions from TE. Still think Goggans ends up on D.

ihatefulmer,

McClendon is still committed to UT but it is far from firm. I still think he ends up at UT, but Bama and the Barn are still possibilities. I'd say 45% UT, 35% Bama, 20% Barn....just a guess. He's been quiet.

rolltide8755

All-SEC
Oct 19, 2005
Tuscaloosa
rtr1973 said:
Tailbacks? We don't really "need" any more RBs for two years (although you always make room for a Top 5 RB prospect).

Returning RBs and commits:
Ken Darby SR
Glen Coffee SO
Jimmy Johns SO (who may move to another position)
Aaron Johns SO* (if he works his way out of Shula's doghouse)
Roy Upchurch FR*
Ali Sharrief FR*
Mike Ford FR
* = has taken a redshirt year.

Now, if you'd said fullback, I'd probably agree with you.

i would have to agree. i am tired of peeps saying we need rb's. we have alot already on the roster, they are just inexperienced and need time to develop.

Last edited:

rolltide8755

All-SEC
Oct 19, 2005
Tuscaloosa
Roll_Tide_Gal said:
TE? That would give Bama 5 TEs of Sophomore or Freshman variety. Seems like too many, doesn't it?

bama is going to run into problems with having too many rb's and te's. some players are going to have to change position or just ride the bench.

te depth for next year:
walker
mccall
hoke
davidson
dial

dial is being mentioned as a H-back. some say mccall will move to D, i have to disagree. so our coaches are going to have some thinking to do! but its a good problem to have. we are finally getting some depth (thank goodness) ! roll tide folks

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.