What's it going to take to beat Ole Miss

bamadwain

All-American
Oct 8, 2018
Jackson Tn
Besides the obvious having more points than them what's it going to take?
1. Limit turnovers, if we have 3+ we'll lose, if we can force 3+ i think we win handily
2. Run the ball control the game, BoB cannot get in a playing calling match with kiffin
3. Scoring, I think if score round 28 points we have a shot, if it's in the 30's favors ole miss, 40+ favors us because of depth don't think ole miss can run up and down field that long
4. Kicking game, we have to have at least one explosive play not necessarily a td but change momentum
5. Control Matt Coral, make him think and uneasy

Reactions: Windsortide

deltatider

1st Team
Nov 29, 2005
1) We need to come out with a fast start. Ole Miss' scripted plays to start the game will be tough to defend so we need to a fast start on offense to match their offense until our D can get a read on things.

2) We will need to win individual battles up front. We have more talent along both lines that Ole Miss does. But the D-Line really needs to win some one on one battles to get quick pressure on Corral. Quick pressure can eliminate some of the potential busts on the back end due to Kiffin's creating bad matchups for our guys.

3) Run the ball. If we can run effectively we will wear them down and keep that offense off the field.

4) Make tackles. Last year's game would not have been near as close if we make even half of the tackles that were missed.

5) As I think we all learned during the UF game...the crowd can be a factor...I hope BDS is as loud as it has been in years. Anything to make things tough for that offense.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Need turnovers, win 3rd down, etc.

But I actually think a big key will be 1st down. We can't let them go crazy fast on us all game or it's going to be a shoot out. We need to slow them down and winning on 1st down is a big part of that.

Weirdly our offense might be better suited to face Ole Miss this year in some ways. The more methodical approach to driving down the field should give our defense a rest in case they do go insanely fast all game.

Tiderollin32

All-SEC
Mar 12, 2012
1) We need to come out with a fast start. Ole Miss' scripted plays to start the game will be tough to defend so we need to a fast start on offense to match their offense until our D can get a read on things.

2) We will need to win individual battles up front. We have more talent along both lines that Ole Miss does. But the D-Line really needs to win some one on one battles to get quick pressure on Corral. Quick pressure can eliminate some of the potential busts on the back end due to Kiffin's creating bad matchups for our guys.

3) Run the ball. If we can run effectively we will wear them down and keep that offense off the field.

4) Make tackles. Last year's game would not have been near as close if we make even half of the tackles that were missed.

5) As I think we all learned during the UF game...the crowd can be a factor...I hope BDS is as loud as it has been in years. Anything to make things tough for that offense.
This was the biggest thing last year. Even if we weren’t in the right alignment on defense we didn’t tackle.

Tide Rev

All-American
Mar 22, 2000
Ocean Springs, MS
We play our best to this point, we should win. But with that said, turnovers and defense will win this game. Whomever wins those battles will win the game. I hope our D can stop them more than they stop us. Corral is a threat. I am wondering what Coach Saban will try and take away from him and confuse him with. Lane is certainly wanting to be the first pupil to upset the teacher.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
In the UF game some people gave us a B- grade. UF got an A- grade

we won.
In their stadium
How do we get a worse grade?

the good news. We can play a B- game and beat almost anybody

Expectations and standards

They don't expect Florida to beat us so keeping it close was actually better than what the "experts" expected, and Alabama didn't play to what's become "the standard" of Bama football and Florida played above what their standard has become.

It's actually a compliment to us if you think about it.

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
Lane Kiffin worries me. I believe he'll be the first to defeat his mentor......... but it won't be this year.

You never know what what LK is going to scheme up. He's one of the best to ever do it and he makes some of the best in game adjustments of anyone. The thing that concerns me most is the middle of the run defense but I do believe that hole was in the process of being filled before the staff left Gainesville. If I'm right, and I think I am, it won't be anywhere near as exciting as last year. If I'm wrong we'll see pretty much a rinse and repeat.

Reactions: Rush

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Lane Kiffin worries me. I believe he'll be the first to defeat his mentor......... but it won't be this year.

You never know what what LK is going to scheme up. He's one of the best to ever do it and he makes some of the best in game adjustments of anyone. The thing that concerns me most is the middle of the run defense but I do believe that hole was in the process of being filled before the staff left Gainesville. If I'm right, and I think I am, it won't be anywhere near as exciting as last year. If I'm wrong we'll see pretty much a rinse and repeat.
One way to limit what LK can do is to keep Ole Miss' offense on the sidelines as long as possible, with long scoring drives. I think getting points on every possession, with the majority being TD's is almost a must Saturday. We have the personnel to run the ball and slow down the game. But the question is, can we actually execute it if that's part of the game plan? Right now this offense is still in the "gelling" process and isn't operating like we'd expect it to be going into game 8 of the season. So, false start penalties, missed assignments, and "timing" among the OL'men may still be an issue in game four of the season.

Reactions: Bubbaloo

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.