What’s the state of Georgia’s defense (2021 version)

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Once again we hear at how unstoppable Georgia’s defense is, once again we hear how Bennett is a capable quarterback, and once again we have loads of Bama fans on here totally buy into it hook line and sinker. More importantly once again Bama dominated another mentally weak Georgia team that was feasting off of cupcakes. Really who the heck did they beat. I’ve said it ALL YEAR that I hope we play Georgia just like I did last year. They haven’t seen a real quarterback the entire year. Well THEY JUST DID!!!

And BoB called mostly a great game.

So the moral of the story is stop buying Georgia’s undo greatness and stop selling the Process short. Roll Tide, Happy Holidays, and see y’all in Dallas
Because of the hectic week, I didn't have a chance to go delving DEEPLY into micro-analysis of Georgia's team as opposed to ours using analytics as I often do for the post-season. The ONE REGRET I have is that I did not have a specific game prediction (more on this below), but this was my pre-game viewpoint: "if Alabama can score 28 points, we will win the game." It's true I never said it on here, but that was my personal hunch without any analysis.

It's easy AFTER THE FACT, of course, to say, "Well, yeah, you say that now because Georgia got 24." Fair point although that was my view a week ago. And let me cover that first but also show you the ambivalence that went into my reluctance to make a prediction.

1) Defenses win championships - but not anymore.

I think it's time to set this one ancient truth aside. Understand I'm an old guy who is reluctant to cast aspersions at ANY SEC defense that puts up the numbers UGA did, and I do carry the baggage of the Bryant-Stallings mantra of "run the ball, stop the run, win the turnover battle." That is still largely true, but it is no longer so true that a 92 Alabama defense can necessarily beat a 2018 Oklahoma offense (IF that offense has a serviceable defense). The passing game has upended a lot of those truths to turn them largely into myths.

2) But I did have one question about Georgia's defense.

The one thing that plagued my mind that I wanted to look at - and just didn't have time this week - was whether Georgia's defense had the typical inflated numbers that can be exposed on an offense (such as Tennessee had this year). Was UGA's defense REALLY all-world or was it like the Texas 2009 rushing defense that was #2 in the nation not because they were good but because nobody in their conference ever tried to run the ball?

RANKINGS OF OFFENSES UGA FACED
128 - Vandy
109 - S Carolina
96 - Georgia Tech (23.8 ppg)
79 - Clemson
62 - Auburn
58 - UAB

So in these six games plus Charleston Southern (who barely counts), they gave up 40 points in 7 games. But to be fair, they did better against the other higher-ranked offenses, too. But then again Florida wasn't the same team that Alabama survived in September, either.

I would have had to remove the garbage points to assess this better but at least on cursory glance, I had no reason to simply dismiss it. Less than a TD per game in modern college football is incredible regardless of the schedule.

The other issue was that I likewise assumed that Georgia built these leads by getting a bunch of turnovers and short fields - but Alabama forced more TOs this year than UGA did, so that argument doesn't really work well, either.

3) Georgia's Offensive Totals - I Suspected - Were Largely Due To The Combination of a "Soft" Schedule And Getting Teams Out of their Game Plan Early.

I saw a few UGA games and other than Clemson it seemed they scored early on offense when I was watching and put games away early. Again - this was not a hunch I could substantiate with data.

The bottom line I thought was our chances of winning relied upon:
- scoring at least 28 points
- not giving them a short field with turnovers for easy scores
- being able to sustain drives long enough to tire their defense and rest ours

I was actually less worried about our O-line than normal simply because of who coaches our team. I figured that Kirby would have blitzes galore and Saban would know this and the game plan would be designed to force them to back off.

It's why I never gave up hope.

That and the fact the whole "Alabama isn't that good" nonsense is assumed because they're comparing ALABAMA to PREVIOUS ALABAMA teams and not the rest of CFB. That we were one of the four best teams based on the full year was obvious before the game yesterday. It's more so now.

Bubbaloo

1st Team
Dec 8, 2015
I came here to post something similar.
Last night I started thinking about our TF posters living in GA also.
Hope you all really enjoy your Monday at the office
I’ve learned that being silent and smileing likr the Ches
I came here to post something similar.
Last night I started thinking about our TF posters living in GA also.
Hope you all really enjoy your Monday at the office
[/QUOTE
I’ve learned to be silent (unless forced to speak)but smile like the Cheshire Cat that has eaten Tweety Bird! Kills em ! 🤣😂

Reactions: Tidetwin and 92tide

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Yeah, this was most likely good scenario for us.

Amazingly enough, we didn't have to come back from double digits in the second half, we did it in the first. :)
not a good trend in the 4 matchups for kirby. 0 minutes from winning. 1 minute from winning. 1 plus quarter from winning. 2 plus quarters from winning.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Really who the heck did they beat.
It wasn't who they beat, it's how they beat them. We had 4 common opponents, and they dominated them, while we screwed around and barely won 3 of them, and worried what would happen when we played a good team. The inconsistency that can get you beat by A&M can also let you dominate a #1 team. It's easy to say today they weren't as good, but what we saw all year created doubts in all but the sunshiniest pumpers. If our O line played like that all year, we would have been the ones walking into Atlanta undefeated.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
It wasn't who they beat, it's how they beat them. We had 4 common opponents, and they dominated them, while we screwed around and barely won 3 of them, and worried what would happen when we played a good team. The inconsistency that can get you beat by A&M can also let you dominate a #1 team. It's easy to say today they weren't as good, but what we saw all year created doubts in all but the sunshiniest pumpers. If our O line played like that all year, we would have been the ones walking into Atlanta undefeated.
I’ve been Saying it ALL YEAR… so no I don’t fall into the “I told you after the fact” crowd. I’ve been telling everyone all year to pump the brakes on Georgia.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Exactly. Georgia stayed focused and avoided the loss of intensity that plagued us throughout the year. The defense took pride in dominating teams for the entire game and worked to be the best. Those are traits we should learn to emulate.

Reactions: Con

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
It's so funny to me that you, Jon, and 2003 Tide and Costanza (DzynKingRTR, who really is an architect) were all on my mind this week with whatever the fallout of the game might be. The one scenario I didn't think possible happened.
I think I’m the token Bama guy in the neighborhood. All the UGA neighbors wanted to talk about they game all week. I just rambled something about “I wasn’t super confident,etc.). I’m not sure they are going to talk football anymore🤣🤣

I usually give it to the work ppl worse because they are more annoying, but they know better than to talk smack. For the 2017 season, submitted my APL for the semi and national championship in Oct. my ND boss forwarded my request to all the UGA fans asking why none of them had requested off yet. Then we did that to UGA. Best feeling ever and I wasn’t even doing the talking :cool:

Last edited:

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
Because of the hectic week, I didn't have a chance to go delving DEEPLY into micro-analysis of Georgia's team as opposed to ours using analytics as I often do for the post-season. The ONE REGRET I have is that I did not have a specific game prediction (more on this below), but this was my pre-game viewpoint: "if Alabama can score 28 points, we will win the game." It's true I never said it on here, but that was my personal hunch without any analysis.

It's easy AFTER THE FACT, of course, to say, "Well, yeah, you say that now because Georgia got 24." Fair point although that was my view a week ago. And let me cover that first but also show you the ambivalence that went into my reluctance to make a prediction.

1) Defenses win championships - but not anymore.

I think it's time to set this one ancient truth aside. Understand I'm an old guy who is reluctant to cast aspersions at ANY SEC defense that puts up the numbers UGA did, and I do carry the baggage of the Bryant-Stallings mantra of "run the ball, stop the run, win the turnover battle." That is still largely true, but it is no longer so true that a 92 Alabama defense can necessarily beat a 2018 Oklahoma offense (IF that offense has a serviceable defense). The passing game has upended a lot of those truths to turn them largely into myths.

2) But I did have one question about Georgia's defense.

The one thing that plagued my mind that I wanted to look at - and just didn't have time this week - was whether Georgia's defense had the typical inflated numbers that can be exposed on an offense (such as Tennessee had this year). Was UGA's defense REALLY all-world or was it like the Texas 2009 rushing defense that was #2 in the nation not because they were good but because nobody in their conference ever tried to run the ball?

RANKINGS OF OFFENSES UGA FACED
128 - Vandy
109 - S Carolina
96 - Georgia Tech (23.8 ppg)
79 - Clemson
62 - Auburn
58 - UAB

So in these six games plus Charleston Southern (who barely counts), they gave up 40 points in 7 games. But to be fair, they did better against the other higher-ranked offenses, too. But then again Florida wasn't the same team that Alabama survived in September, either.

I would have had to remove the garbage points to assess this better but at least on cursory glance, I had no reason to simply dismiss it. Less than a TD per game in modern college football is incredible regardless of the schedule.

The other issue was that I likewise assumed that Georgia built these leads by getting a bunch of turnovers and short fields - but Alabama forced more TOs this year than UGA did, so that argument doesn't really work well, either.

3) Georgia's Offensive Totals - I Suspected - Were Largely Due To The Combination of a "Soft" Schedule And Getting Teams Out of their Game Plan Early.

I saw a few UGA games and other than Clemson it seemed they scored early on offense when I was watching and put games away early. Again - this was not a hunch I could substantiate with data.

The bottom line I thought was our chances of winning relied upon:
- scoring at least 28 points
- not giving them a short field with turnovers for easy scores
- being able to sustain drives long enough to tire their defense and rest ours

I was actually less worried about our O-line than normal simply because of who coaches our team. I figured that Kirby would have blitzes galore and Saban would know this and the game plan would be designed to force them to back off.

It's why I never gave up hope.

That and the fact the whole "Alabama isn't that good" nonsense is assumed because they're comparing ALABAMA to PREVIOUS ALABAMA teams and not the rest of CFB. That we were one of the four best teams based on the full year was obvious before the game yesterday. It's more so now.
As usual, good analysis. The telling thing to me was when I heard Thurston Howell III had only attempted 11 4th quarter passes this year. We were battle tested they were not

Reactions: seebell

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Georgia's defense is very good. But good offense will always beat good defense nowadays.

Our offensive line showed up and it made all the difference

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
3 drives totaling 4:15 is bad, especially when you’re trying to run clock.
You can run nearly three minutes off the clock with a three and out if you run the clock low and just plow the line. And you might get a bit lucky and get a first down at some point, too.

I calculated right the first time, I just hit the wrong keystroke is all.

Reactions: colbysullivan

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I will say before yesterday I was starting to think that maybe it was finally their year. Then Bryce hit Jamo for that first TD and then I thought nope still not their year. Now they could still beat michigan and end up in the title game, but I think we would still win. It might be closer the second time though. Emphasis on might.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
You can run nearly three minutes off the clock with a three and out if you run the clock low and just plow the line. And you might get a bit lucky and get a first down at some point, too.
Yup. BOB went back to “Bad BOB” on those series. This was unquestionably his best called game though, so I can’t complain that much.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I don’t disagree the playcalling got iffy for a stretch in the second half, but it’s also true that Georgia got desperate and starting sending extras on just about every play, and the loss of Metchie effected us.

But the defense did its job marvelously during this stretch, cancelling out the one TD it gave up with a pick 6, and grabbing a second INT.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.