When Saban retires - how will it go down?

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
Sadly, Saban will retire at some point. He won't be fired and it's unlikely he takes another job at this point in his career.

So here are some things to ponder:

How long away is his retirement?

Will it be preceded by a slow decline?

Does the fanbase see it coming or does it come out of nowhere?

Who is the 1st call as his replacement? Who is the 2nd?

I'm not suggesting he should retire or expecting it. If you can't entertain the thought, please move along.

• Haha
Reactions: CoolBreeze

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
I'd say watch the recruiting classes. I think if we start to drop off in recruiting and Saban feels he can no longer field a team capable of winning the SEC he may decide to retire.

Reactions: BamaMoon

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
No idea could be 1 year could be 6.

No slow decline.

I doubt we see it coming.

No idea who would be any call 1st or 2nd. Some people would want it to be dabo, but I vehemently disagree. Even if it was I doubt he would come anyway, but he will use it to get a pay raise. If Pruitt is winning at 13essee, he would at least get a call. I would hope it also would not be a flavor of the month (a G5 coach that suddenly had one good season.)

I do know one thing I would not want to be the guy that replaces him.

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn
Hard to say. Especially with coaches coming and going as they are. Back in later Coach Bryant days...many on his staff had been with him since the 60s. I think he considered getting out of coaching way before he did, but he felt that his coaches would not be retained. He was correct. So he stayed. Coach Saban will make that call here in a few when he and his family feel it is time. Every year is gravy now. Who knows? Very possible he has already reached his pinnacle, and our staff woes (Just my guess) may continue another year. But he been amazing. I believe in him very much. We will see. I do think some positions will be addressed. CNS is a gent and won't make a public spectacle of it. When that day comes...it will be a surprise...but not really. We will all kinda expect it. Then...we will have folks wanting to hire Mike Leach...or some other west coast coach who wishes he coached Basketball.

N AL Tider

1st Team
Jun 18, 2007
Sweet Home AL
I was actually thinking about bringing this up during slow time...but my thought on his replacement would be a defensive coach. We have had better success with D coaches.
Two names I'd look at one defense guy if next 2-3 years, Bob Stoops...if longer no bc he'll be up in age. On the offense side, look at Mario Cristobal..he knows the South.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I think we can see the slow decline going down now. How fast is the question and how long will he hang on trying to recapture the magic. Of course Cowherd and what's his name said this a few years ago and were wrong. I hope I am too.

• Haha
Reactions: CoolBreeze

ROTYDE

All-American
Nov 10, 2003
Muscle Shoals got the Swampers
I think we can see the slow decline going down now. How fast is the question and how long will he hang on trying to recapture the magic. Of course Cowherd and what's his name said this a few years ago and were wrong. I hope I am too.
I would like to think he would see it coming and train and mentor some young one to take his throne. That's the way i would like to see it go down, but I think it will be much different.

chuaner

Scout Team
Aug 26, 2008
He apparently tried to coach up Pete Golding. And I remember he recommended Houston Nutt to replace him at LSU. Then LSU replaces with Les Miles.

I think the ideal situation will be he recruits another 2 good classes, let Bryce Young learn and take over on the field for next 2 seasons, and hand the decent team to his successor.

I would like to think he would see it coming and train and mentor some young one to take his throne. That's the way i would like to see it go down, but I think it will be much different.

• Angry
Reactions: The Ols

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
I think it might be kind of obvious - as in, we win a national championship or we have a year where we finish, say, 10th in recruiting and lose 3-4 games in a season.

As for who the first call is . . . that's so hard to predict because we don't know if this happens next year, in 3 years or in 7 years. The coaching profession is constantly changing. If I had to guess, I'd say if Pruitt continues to grow and improve as a coach he might get a call.

Toddrn

All-American
Nov 29, 2006
Woodstock, Ga
After he had his hip surgery he said if that's what retirement was like he didn't want any part of it. I would think if he can win one more NC he would strongly consider stepping down while on top. That's how he wants to be remembered. The big question is does he still have the motivation to keep going. Getting to the top is a lot easier than staying on top. All the coaches in the playoff's, especially Dabo, are finding this out. Whenever it happens my hope is the goes out with grace and is shown the full respect he deserves by all of these so called experts that have said many times his dynasty is over. I have seen 2 great coaches at Alabama in my lifetime and I hope I will see a third. No matter how it play's out I will always be an Alabama fan till the day I die. RTR

ecraj

Scout Team
Jan 24, 2009
Florence, AL
I'd say watch the recruiting classes. I think if we start to drop off in recruiting and Saban feels he can no longer field a team capable of winning the SEC he may decide to retire.
I believe this would be the most likely scenario. We should be able to figure this one out in the next few years, IMO.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Sadly, Saban will retire at some point. He won't be fired and it's unlikely he takes another job at this point in his career.

So here are some things to ponder:

How long away is his retirement?

Will it be preceded by a slow decline?

Does the fanbase see it coming or does it come out of nowhere?

Who is the 1st call as his replacement? Who is the 2nd?

I'm not suggesting he should retire or expecting it. If you can't entertain the thought, please move along.

Badly.

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
Yes, I agree that Miss Terry will have a big say on when it is time. I hope they both stay in good health for many more years.

I imagine Saban already has a list that he keeps updating on who he suggests to be the next coach. I doubt Kiffin is on it :)

It could be anyone from Pruitt, Sark, or a newcomer we have not even heard about too much yet.

Saban4Ever !!! :) 🐘🏈

Reactions: UAllday

Bamaboy16

Suspended
Dec 6, 2019
Realistically it depends on recruiting and players leaving early. With Georgia, LSU, Clemson, Ohio State, ect (maybe Ole Miss now with Lane) recruiting at a high level it will be harder to replace our lost Juniors and Seniors.

Also, players are leaving earlier now. So you have players leaving early, 5 Star players choosing other schools with younger coaches. It's becoming a logistical nightmare to replace so much talent when its that much harder to get it.

I think we are in the days of decline sadly, but I also think we win a NC next season at a least one more before he retires. However, if we can get some stability with our coaches and some Juniors to stay and help with depth...we could be outstanding for the next 2 seasons.

• Angry
Reactions: The Ols

VernonTider

Scout Team
Nov 9, 2019
Is this what you guys mean about being Eeyores?
Seriously, yes, it seems like the pace has slowed. That doesn't mean things are over.

As far as who would replace coach Saban, I don't have his name. But it will need to be someone with a big personality, someone who can take the weight on his shoulders and not falter. I thought a few years back because of his demeanor, that it might be Dabo. Now, I'm not sure, and I'm fairly sure he wouldn't take it. He built his program, and that's hard to let go, even to go home. The calling to home would have to be pretty strong. The powers-that-be at 'Bama might have to get coach Gene Stallings involved in some recruitment there.

I don't think Pruitt gets a call, and I like Jeremy. But I don't think Alabama calls the current coach at Tennessee and offers him the job. I don't see a complainer, a malcontent, like Leach ever becoming the coach at the Capstone. It won't be someone coming out of retirement, like Bob Stoops, because I don't think coach Saban is retiring before next season, and Stoops would have been out of *real* football for too long.

And i don't think it's an up-and-comer, like Josh McDaniels at New England, or another Bill Belichick disciple, like so many that have bounced around at different spots and failed.

I don't think the university reaches out to its past again; that time is done. I can't see Alabama trying to pull ties to coach Bryant and fit that into the mold of a head coach in 2019.

In short, there's not many answers. But there's who I think WON'T get the call.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.