When shall we let Pete Golding go?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Saban made some remarks this week about the practice observation which may have escaped notice. He had phone cameras placed around the field on the towers. What he didn't like was not being able to replay. (I suspect that, by now, he's discovered that it is possible to record.) What he did like was the different all-around perspective. He even mused that it must have been the reason Coach Bryant observed practice from a tower. I don't think it takes a genius to figure out that those cameras will be permanent and probably more sophisticated than cell phones. It's possible that he may have gained some insights as to what was being missed by, in particular, the LBs...

VirginiaTide57

All-American
Jan 19, 2005
Fredericksburg, Virginia
With 2020 being such a "normal" year . . . let's settle down re defense (I know those who read my game posts are shaking their heads). The disruption from the pandemic has impacted every phase of our lives, and the lack of practice hasn't helped Bama's defense. That is why I wonder how the Big 10 teams will do when they play the SEC.

VirginiaTide57

All-American
Jan 19, 2005
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Saban made some remarks this week about the practice observation which may have escaped notice. He had phone cameras placed around the field on the towers. What he didn't like was not being able to replay. (I suspect that, by now, he's discovered that it is possible to record.) What he did like was the different all-around perspective. He even mused that it must have been the reason Coach Bryant observed practice from a tower. I don't think it takes a genius to figure out that those cameras will be permanent and probably more sophisticated than cell phones. It's possible that he may have gained some insights as to what was being missed by, in particular, the LBs...
how long before that system is hacked, and Bama practices are on YouTube for the world to see!

Reactions: NoNC4Tubs

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
The adjustment to playing more zone seemed to help. When we were straight up man, Harris got burned on the long TD.

I hope we play more zone in the future. It's probably more bend but don't break but it's better than blown coverages and wide open receivers running loose for touchdowns.

Reactions: teamplayer

jashleyren2

1st Team
Aug 27, 2018
The defense is taking on that look of "bend" but don't break. Well, they have certainly been bent all to hell and back. But, as others said, we keep on scoring, almost at will. Our athletes on defense, and just the junk nature of the rest of the offenses we face, means we are going to outscore all of them, I believe. Aside from maybe Kentucky, who is showing an offense that can do much of anything? Though Auburn has looked pitiful, I think South Carolina and Arkansas both are showing better defensive play than Bama. And Georgia shut them right down. Didn't even get into the end zone once. LSU has so much to figure out on offense, not sure if it will happen this season. I thought State would be the upstart, but what a mess they are right now. Tennessee? I think we know the answer there.

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
The circumstances around the last 2 years have not played out well for CPG. LB group injuries last season and lack/limitations of practice this season were a definite set back.

I do however think Golding still has a ways to go before developing into a top tier DC. Changing now isn't a good idea but IMO we should turn Charlie Strong loose ASAP. I don't know what will have to occur for that to happen but, whatever it is, it needs to happen.

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
I look at is our guys are missing tackles, taking bad angles and just making mistakes. I dont think 100% is blamed on Golding. I think our 5 and 4 stars need to make plays consistently. rtr
I think a lack of practice in the spring and fall has contributed to our poor fundamentals on defense. That should improve as the year progresses.

Reactions: allybama2009

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The circumstances around the last 2 years have not played out well for CPG. LB group injuries last season and lack/limitations of practice this season were a definite set back.

I do however think Golding still has a ways to go before developing into a top tier DC. Changing now isn't a good idea but IMO we should turn Charlie Strong loose ASAP. I don't know what will have to occur for that to happen but, whatever it is, it needs to happen.
He cannot coach players at all.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
There is no reason to broadcast it across the Internet. No reason it can't be a closed network, requiring physical access to "hack."
Saban gonna hire some of them windtalkers as defense communications analysts for his new CCTV surveillance system but primarily for coordinating clearer channeling of signals from Golding to his defensive players.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
We need to look at LSU's numbers last year. Their defense was a sieve until they got through their game with us.

Things can, and will improve.
Yep, they had the #9 total defense in the SEC. They just put so much pressure on defenses by scoring every time they had it that some teams would fold under that pressure.

Reactions: Con

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I think this is a discussion that's worth having after the season is over. The team and coaches doesn't need distractions. I don't know exactly what is the issues on defense, whether it's the scheme, lack of communications or combination of both. All I know is that defense played much better in 2nd half of Georgia game and if things continue to get better going forward, then we'll know it was communication issues. I noticed Harris was making the play calls in 2nd half, allowing Moses to play freely.
Good post and I bet every single one of us would have taken only giving up 24 pts before the game started.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Good post and I bet every single one of us would have taken only giving up 24 pts before the game started.
That is actually what I and a few other Tidefans members predicted. After the rough start, I was not sure that it would hold. IMO, the 24 points was not a surprise. The zero points in the second half though - that was a stunner.

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
That is actually what I and a few other Tidefans members predicted. After the rough start, I was not sure that it would hold. IMO, the 24 points was not a surprise. The zero points in the second half though - that was a stunner.
Definitely.

Reactions: Swanny

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.