Where is the line in comedy? (Will Smith slaps Chris Rock at the Oscars)

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
The uncensored version from the Japanese broadcast proves to me that it wasn't staged.

What lines in comedy? Was this the first ever joke in poor taste or something?

Will Smith is the one who crossed a line. That was a jerk move. Don't like the joke then fine, I got no problem with that but, confront the man backstage or during a commercial. To do it during the broadcast was way out of line. It doesn't surprise me we have people defending assault though. This country has devolved to the point where everything is justifiable no matter how wrong it may be.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
The Oscar’s were last night? I had no idea until I opened this thread. So, the stunt/slap/whatever did what it was supposed to do. Get attention. Looked staged to me.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
The uncensored version from the Japanese broadcast proves to me that it wasn't staged.

What lines in comedy? Was this the first ever joke in poor taste or something?

Will Smith is the one who crossed a line. That was a jerk move. Don't like the joke then fine, I got no problem with that but, confront the man backstage or during a commercial. To do it during the broadcast was way out of line. It doesn't surprise me we have people defending assault though. This country has devolved to the point where everything is justifiable no matter how wrong it may be.
Funny I kinda feel the same way about people who think it's okay to attack another man's wife under the guise of comedy.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Most of you know my 13 year old daughter lost her hair last year while taking chemo. If someone had made her struggle with baldness worse by making a lame joke, I would have responded as WS did. You may insult me; you may not insult my family.

Personally, I thought WS showed restraint.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
It don't think it was staged. Here is a video on Reddit of the commercial break following the slap where Denzel Washington and Tyler Perry are shown calming Smith down. The person kneeling down next to Smith at the end is supposedly his publicist, probably telling him he needs to apologize. Plus, what Smith yelled back after the slap, twice, just didn't seemed staged.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PublicFreakout/comments/tq1gef

Last edited:

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
I really doubt it was staged and Smith originally smiled at the joke himself. He just showed that he is an intitled, rich, thin skinned celebrity. It certainly did NOT call for a sucker punch (maybe a slap?) against Rock.
But all in all, these shows are just glorified circle jerks and I'll never understand the interest in watching celebrities pat each other on the back for hours to ingratiate themselves.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
As far as jokes are concerned, either everything is allowed or nothing is.
No one is saying something shouldn't be allowed, we're saying comedy is no different than the real world - you says your words, you take your chances. Being a comedian isn't like holding some magic talisman that protects from the results of your barbs.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I really doubt it was staged and Smith originally smiled at the joke himself. He just showed that he is an intitled, rich, thin skinned celebrity. It certainly did NOT call for a sucker punch (maybe a slap?) against Rock.
But all in all, these shows are just glorified circle jerks and I'll never understand the interest in watching celebrities pat each other on the back for hours to ingratiate themselves.
Yeah, don't care at all about these look at me awards shows. Which is why I had no idea this even happened until I got to work.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
No one is saying something shouldn't be allowed, we're saying comedy is no different than the real world - you says your words, you take your chances. Being a comedian isn't like holding some magic talisman that protects from the results of your barbs.
I think where I’m coming from is when they are on the stage performing. If he makes this comment at Will’s house and Will mudstomps him into the carpet, I’m okay with that. He makes it in public and Will smacks him down, fine. This was a sanctioned and approved comedy bit, so at least wait until the commercial break.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
The title of the thread literally asks is there a line. I am saying there shouldn't be a line.

Reactions: crimsonaudio

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Just a FYI for some if you that might not know. The award shows have writers, do there is a 95% chance the joke was a written and approved joke. Now sometimes the host will go off script. Best example Norm Macdonald's OJ joke at the espys.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
This is pretty simple to me. Chris Rock went over a line with his joke and then Will Smith proceeded to cross a different line.

Neither was a good look but IMO Will Smith came out worse

Reactions: Chukker Veteran

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.