Which Venue Is The Biggest Dump You’ve Ever Visited?

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I have to agree with earlier posters on:

War Memorial Stadium - Little Rock

Independence Stadium - Shreveport

Legion Field - Birmingham (even though it holds so many great memories from my childhood. High School (Dental Clinic games, high school games, Alabama games. I even played in a pee-wee football game there in 1968).

Baseball

Municipal Stadium - Cleveland
Fenway Park - Boston

Reactions: selmaborntidefan

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I've never been so I'm not speaking from firsthand experience but.....I've been told by multiple people that while the Eiffel Tower is a nice thing to go see and say you've seen in person, the area surrounding it below is pretty much what we'd call a slum in the US.

I'm guessing Legion Field was a crown jewel in its day (the 1940s, say, LOL), but I went to visit it three years ago outside, and my first thought was, "Ya know, I wouldn't want to be walking to my car parked on a side street at night around here."

I think they just choose the most flattering TV angles and in some places there's only really one.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I have to agree with earlier posters on:

War Memorial Stadium - Little Rock

Independence Stadium - Shreveport

Legion Field - Birmingham (even though it holds so many great memories from my childhood. High School (Dental Clinic games, high school games, Alabama games. I even played in a pee-wee football game there in 1968).

Baseball

Municipal Stadium - Cleveland
Fenway Park - Boston
Agreed on all counts except I never was close to Cleveland.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
You are a blessed man....
I've heard nothing but bad things about it, though.

It's kinda funny how growing up changes your perspective. I grew up hearing about the romance of ballparks and stadiums as "cathedrals of sport" and all that nonsense. But you get old enough and you realize that - for the most part - the reason is the same reason there remains an awe and majesty (compared with other things) surrounding the US Supreme Court: it "sounds" or "feels" more "romantic and nostalgic" than it actually looks when you can see it on TV over and over and over again. Familiarity DOES breed contempt. And it's not that different (in another sense) like a murder case - when you have time to go over every nook and cranny with a fine tooth comb, you can make the most insignificant thing seem powerful enough to overturn anything short of actually witnessing the murder on video.

I used to LOVE watching those opening pan shots over Texas Stadium (granted, it was less than 10 years old when I began watching football) or Three Rivers - I was always a tad bit bothered by the old Superdome when they had the red letters on the scoreboard (maybe they still do, I don't know). A visual travesty.

Btw (nothing to do with dumps) - Target Field in Minneapolis is very good.

PNC Park in Pittsburgh makes Target Field feel like a dump. It's THAT good.

Reactions: CB4

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I've heard nothing but bad things about it, though.

It's kinda funny how growing up changes your perspective. I grew up hearing about the romance of ballparks and stadiums as "cathedrals of sport" and all that nonsense. But you get old enough and you realize that - for the most part - the reason is the same reason there remains an awe and majesty (compared with other things) surrounding the US Supreme Court: it "sounds" or "feels" more "romantic and nostalgic" than it actually looks when you can see it on TV over and over and over again. Familiarity DOES breed contempt. And it's not that different (in another sense) like a murder case - when you have time to go over every nook and cranny with a fine tooth comb, you can make the most insignificant thing seem powerful enough to overturn anything short of actually witnessing the murder on video.

I used to LOVE watching those opening pan shots over Texas Stadium (granted, it was less than 10 years old when I began watching football) or Three Rivers - I was always a tad bit bothered by the old Superdome when they had the red letters on the scoreboard (maybe they still do, I don't know). A visual travesty.

Btw (nothing to do with dumps) - Target Field in Minneapolis is very good.

PNC Park in Pittsburgh makes Target Field feel like a dump. It's THAT good.
I’ve been to Target Field a few times and it’s one of the most Beautiful ball parks but it’s in a dump of a location. It’s basically in an industrial part of town.

Lambeau is very nice. The whole town of Green Bay is nice. For a very old field it feels very modern. The area around it almost feels college like.

Camp Randall is awesome. I highly encourage anyone who hasn’t been to go when we travel to Madison. It’s probably the best non Bama environment I have ever been to.

Miller Park. Dump on the outside, not aesthetically pleasing on the outside, but looks great on the inside.

Soldier Field Chicago- it’s just weird. If Lambeau is how you modernize an old field the correct way then Soldier is how you do it the wrong way. And before y’all think I’m just being generous because I love the state of Wisconsin, I absolutely loathe the Packers. It’s just the Roman architecture on the outside doesn’t match the looks on the inside.

Reactions: TideEngineer08

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I’ve been to Target Field a few times and it’s one of the most Beautiful ball parks but it’s in a dump of a location. It’s basically in an industrial part of town.

Lambeau is very nice. The whole town of Green Bay is nice. For a very old field it feels very modern. The area around it almost feels college like.

Camp Randall is awesome. I highly encourage anyone who hasn’t been to go when we travel to Madison. It’s probably the best non Bama environment I have ever been to.

Miller Park. Dump on the outside, not aesthetically pleasing on the outside, but looks great on the inside.

Soldier Field Chicago- it’s just weird. If Lambeau is how you modernize an old field the correct way then Soldier is how you do it the wrong way. And before y’all think I’m just being generous because I love the state of Wisconsin, I absolutely loathe the Packers. It’s just the Roman architecture on the outside doesn’t match the looks on the inside.
Yeah, I agree on Target Field's location. Great park - though gonna be interesting to watch Santa thaw out the first ball if the Twins ever make it to the World Series.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
The 1991WS had to be the matchup of worst ballparks.

Fulton Co vs the Metrodome
John Schuerholz was standing in the Dome before Game 1 talking to a member of the press and said, "Never a place like this before. Won't be another one, either. They'll never allow it." However - if you've been to Tropicana, the INSIDE SETUP of the field and everything is taken verbatim from the Metrodome; the dome itself isn't but the field is. I wonder if they weren't still hoping to lure the Twins - who almost moved to St Pete in 1984 (and at the same time - the highest bidder was a man named Donald Trump) - by building the same ballpark everyone hated.

Power Eye

All-SEC
Aug 3, 2005
Legion Field is the worst stadium I have ever been to, and I don't think it's close. The last game I went to there was the rescheduled Southern Miss game in 2001 and a bunch of the lights went out at the top of the stadium. It didn't stop the game, but the lighting was very poor for the rest of the game.

Fenway Park is a dump of a stadium. The only time I went, I sate behind a structural pole on the lower deck on the first base side and couldn't see the ball from the point it left the pitcher's hand until it got to the hitter. Wrigley is a palace compared to Fenway. It probably helps that the surrounding area is much nicer as well. The old Tiger's stadium was a bit of a dump too, but the stadium was pretty neat. At a Tigers/Indians game, I watched Albert Belle and Jim Thome try to match each other for hitting balls on the roof during BP.

Camden Yards is my all time favorite stadium to have visited in terms of being a great stadium. It was just a great place to watch a baseball game. Too bad the Orioles have been so bad for so long now.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
John Schuerholz was standing in the Dome before Game 1 talking to a member of the press and said, "Never a place like this before. Won't be another one, either. They'll never allow it." However - if you've been to Tropicana, the INSIDE SETUP of the field and everything is taken verbatim from the Metrodome; the dome itself isn't but the field is. I wonder if they weren't still hoping to lure the Twins - who almost moved to St Pete in 1984 (and at the same time - the highest bidder was a man named Donald Trump) - by building the same ballpark everyone hated.
I heard the trop and Oakland coliseum are horrid. It’s weird that San Antonio is a beautiful city and made a pretty nice stadium for a professional team but didn’t get one over the trop.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I've never been so I'm not speaking from firsthand experience but.....I've been told by multiple people that while the Eiffel Tower is a nice thing to go see and say you've seen in person, the area surrounding it below is pretty much what we'd call a slum in the US.

I'm guessing Legion Field was a crown jewel in its day (the 1940s, say, LOL), but I went to visit it three years ago outside, and my first thought was, "Ya know, I wouldn't want to be walking to my car parked on a side street at night around here."

I think they just choose the most flattering TV angles and in some places there's only really one.
i've never actually made it to paris, but google maps has street view of the entire area around the tower and from the looks of it, it is clean and well kept and looks similar to intown residential areas in many other european cities.

charles de gaulle airport sucks donkey parts though

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
i've never actually made it to paris, but google maps has street view of the entire area around the tower and from the looks of it, it is clean and well kept and looks similar to intown residential areas in many other european cities.

charles de gaulle airport sucks donkey parts though
Yeah, that's why I'm making the point I have not personally been there.

But I HAVE heard that from a number of folks, too - including my Oregon bud who went two summers ago.

Speaking of which - I was interviewing for a job recently and I bowled over the group interviewers by saying, "I spent the longest year of my life one afternoon in the Kansas City airport...."

Reactions: CB4 and 92tide

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I heard the trop and Oakland coliseum are horrid. It’s weird that San Antonio is a beautiful city and made a pretty nice stadium for a professional team but didn’t get one over the trop.
Well, here's the thing with the Trop......you park in the next county and walk....and I mean you WALK.....to get there despite the fact the stadium isn't going to have more than 5,000 fans in it on a Saturday or for that matter a Friday night. It just looks kind of kooky and dumb outside, it's not so bad inside save it looks like a carbon copy of the old Metrodome as noted earlier.

OAC - I went to Oakland three times and it had A DIFFERENT NAME EACH TIME!!! In fact, I went the day that they finally retired Reggie Jackson's number and Zack Greinke started the first game of his career (and the bullpen hosed him). You went to Fulton County I'm sure. Basically, it's Fulton County Stadium but with a foul territory so large the Raiders could play a scrimmage along first while the 49ers played one along the third base line. It's round and FAR AWAY from the field of play, too.

Amusing anecdote on Reggie - I have a brother (the news producer in Rhode Island) who is SIXTEEN YEARS younger than I am. When we got to the game that day, we found out that they were retiring Reggie's number. Although not necessarily a fan, I grew up during the time frame Reggie was "Mr October" and as known for his mouth and candy bar as for his home runs. I told my brother, "Wow, do you know who Reggie Jackson is?"

Without batting an eye, he said, "Yeah, he tries to kill the Queen in 'The Naked Gun' movie."

(That's not as bad as the time I asked my son if he knew who Michael Jordan was - he's not into sports - and he said, 'Yeah, he was a character in 'Space Jam!")

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Yeah, that's why I'm making the point I have not personally been there.

But I HAVE heard that from a number of folks, too - including my Oregon bud who went two summers ago.

Speaking of which - I was interviewing for a job recently and I bowled over the group interviewers by saying, "I spent the longest year of my life one afternoon in the Kansas City airport...."
I went to the KC airport and it’s by far the weirdest airport I’ve ever been in.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I went to the KC airport and it’s by far the weirdest airport I’ve ever been in.
Strangely, I had to fly from a decent airport (Denver) to whatever that thing in KC is - and then got a two-hour delay - then I flew late into Love Field here.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I've been going through and clicking "like" on each one which selected Neyland. Selma's own criterion was "biggest." I take him literally. That rules out pikers like MSU. The "biggest" dump is Neyland, hands down. One, they are a dumpf. Two, they are the "biggest," by counting security, ground crews, concessionaires, etc. So, by his own criteria, they are the "biggest dump." Hoist by his own petard... ;)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.