Which Venue Is The Biggest Dump You’ve Ever Visited?

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
This is a Twitter talk right now so two variations:

1) Which CFB venue is the biggest dump you’ve ever visited?

2) Which sports venue - any “Division 1” level or pro sports venue?

I’m gonna have to ponder this one for a moment.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
1). mississippi state in '92

2). whatever cattle auction venue that the san angelo stampede express (low tier arena league) played in (the google tells me it is foster communications coliseum)

Reactions: selmaborntidefan

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
This is a Twitter talk right now so two variations:

1) Which CFB venue is the biggest dump you’ve ever visited?

2) Which sports venue - any “Division 1” level or pro sports venue?

I’m gonna have to ponder this one for a moment.
1) 3 way tie for different reasons

Ole Miss. only because of the morons and the hyped up game day stuff that was not anywhere close to what they were selling

Missouri- stadium is crappy. Campus is old but it has the easiest parking for a game I ever experienced

Nebraska- Lincoln sucks and the stadium is so old you would swear you were in the 1960’s

2) Kaufman Stadium or Nationals Park.

Side note: Neyland is horrible but the scenery going to the game and outside the stadium well makes up for it.

Auburn is hell but atleast it feels like a college town and they keep their facilities nice.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
War Memorial in Little Rock
Never been to Arkansas but someone said one is so steep and poorly built that someone could put their drink down and it would slide all the end of the section. Don’t know if that is War Memorial or Reynolds.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
1). mississippi state in '92

2). whatever cattle auction venue that the san angelo stampede express (low tier arena league) played in (the google tells me it is foster communications coliseum)
I haven’t been to many. I’d have to say Starkville. It felt like a 6A high school stadium on a community college campus. That was nearly 20 years ago though.
Ive heard Davis Wade was bad in the 90’s and early 2000’s. But it seems to be better from the fans I was sitting with in 2017. I can honestly say I had a better time there than Oxford. Though outside the stadium is insane. The little tail gate area is lame and having to park in the Greek field with everyone else is just horrible.

Reactions: GP for Bama

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
1) No mentions of Legion Field? I get the nostalgia and all but going there, especially in the 90s sucked. The last game I attended there was the 2003 game vs. USF. It was Shula’s first game. Thought I was going to burn up. No shade in the stadium anywhere. Cannot remember a positive stadium experience in the Old Gray Lady

2) Went to the 2006 Independence Bowl vs. Okie St. That was the worst sports venue I’ve ever been to and it’s not close. The area around the stadium was worse than Legion Field.

ETA- Unpopular take- Until really the Saban era BDS wasn’t great either *ducks*

Reactions: DanoCanuck

PaulD

All-SEC
Dec 29, 2006
near Perry, Georgia, United States
The Cotton Bowl for our game against Baylor on 1 Jan 1981 (I was stationed in Oklahoma). For a historic stadium, it was bland and unimpressive.

Denny Stadium in the '70s before there was any upper deck. Everything seemed to be barebones. If you read Mal Moore's book, he believed that we had generally let our facilities slide.

Reactions: selmaborntidefan

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I haven’t been to many. I’d have to say Starkville. It felt like a 6A high school stadium on a community college campus. That was nearly 20 years ago though.
The transition of Scott Field to Davis-Wade has turned that stadium into a decent place. I went in 1998 and it was so miserable I was praying for a nuclear bomb to hit us while the cowbell ringer behind me administered a root canal with Kenny G playing over the speakers.

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I've been to most of the SEC stadiums and Netland is the worst - by far. Antiquated bathrooms and seats that were built in the 1940's for people who were built in the 1940's - nowadays, you can fit neatly within your space but the bubbas on each side will spill over onto you like crazy.

That place is horrible. The only reason I keep going back is to watch the annual third quarter exodus as Alabama tears their heart out once again...

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Three venues PROMINENTLY mentioned in the the thread are the Rose Bowl stadium, the old Orange Bowl stadium (long gone) in Miami, and Fenway Park.

The worst CFB stadium I ever went to was probably the "old Cotton Bowl" stadium here in Dallas for our game against Texas Tech in January 2006. It opened in 1930, I had to park miles from where I was going in for the game, and on top of that, the inside of a sardine can would have been more comfortable. Scott Field (at MSU) was a high school stadium with cowbells though, as I noted earlier, Davis-Wade is a much more respectable venue.

Btw.....my first Tide game was the 1995 Ole Miss game in Vaught-Hemingway, and let me say this - it is a MASSIVELY overrated "pregame atmosphere," and the stadium itself.....well, I'm seated at the five-yard line about halfway up, and the seats point almost straight ahead so good luck seeing anything beyond the forty in the opposite direction.

The worst venue across sports that I've seen a contest in was, quite frankly, Fenway Park. Yeah, it's history. If you're a baseball fan, you have to go once and stop to realize exactly who all has played in this site - including Red Sox pitcher Babe Ruth before he was a famous slugger or famous Yankee. Remember that this stadium opened five years before President Kennedy was even born (his father-in-law threw out the first ball for the first game - he was mayor), two years before World War ONE.

And it feels about like it. There are some seats there that point in the wrong direction (center field), so you have to look sorta sideways to see home plate. And they're expensive, too, for a stadium that twice drew fewer than 500 fans to games in September 1965. It's fun to go - once.

BAD VENUE NOTES
Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum
- one of those cookie cutter stadiums from the 60s for both football and baseball; better built for football.

Atlanta Fulton County Stadium - will always have a place in my heart because my grandfather and Dad took me to my first ballgame there. But despite all the 1991 efforts at upgrading, the thing always smelled like someone wizzed everywhere. It also felt "far away" from the action.

Jerry World - is like being in a cavernous tin can far from the action where you're expected to watch TV after paying a month's salary just to park your vehicle. The bands for both Alabama and Michigan sounded like I was listening to a Christmas parade nine blocks over.

Amon Carter (TCU) - has probably improved after the upgrades but was a high school stadium with no wind resistance for the Armed Forces Bowls I attended there.

• Haha
Reactions: TraskiTideFan

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I went to a few Bama games at Legion Field when I was younger but really don’t remember them. However I went to a Birmingham Iron game and good lord is it nothing but cigarette smoke and a carnival like seating setup.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Here are some of those that made the list and quite prominently:

The Rose Bowl Stadium
Davis-Wade (prior to the remodel)
Wrigley Field
Cleveland Municipal Stadium (based on all I've read, I'd have to agree)
Neyland Stadium
The Orange Bowl Stadium (Miami, now gone)
Veterans Stadium (Philly - gets PROMINENT nomination)
Legion Field getting a lot of votes, too
Qualcomm Stadium (San Diego, torn down a few weeks ago)
Tropicana - YES!!!! I've been there, it's the old Metrodome design inside!

Reactions: CB4

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Three venues PROMINENTLY mentioned in the the thread are the Rose Bowl stadium, the old Orange Bowl stadium (long gone) in Miami, and Fenway Park.

The worst CFB stadium I ever went to was probably the "old Cotton Bowl" stadium here in Dallas for our game against Texas Tech in January 2006. It opened in 1930, I had to park miles from where I was going in for the game, and on top of that, the inside of a sardine can would have been more comfortable. Scott Field (at MSU) was a high school stadium with cowbells though, as I noted earlier, Davis-Wade is a much more respectable venue.

Btw.....my first Tide game was the 1995 Ole Miss game in Vaught-Hemingway, and let me say this - it is a MASSIVELY overrated "pregame atmosphere," and the stadium itself.....well, I'm seated at the five-yard line about halfway up, and the seats point almost straight ahead so good luck seeing anything beyond the forty in the opposite direction.

The worst venue across sports that I've seen a contest in was, quite frankly, Fenway Park. Yeah, it's history. If you're a baseball fan, you have to go once and stop to realize exactly who all has played in this site - including Red Sox pitcher Babe Ruth before he was a famous slugger or famous Yankee. Remember that this stadium opened five years before President Kennedy was even born (his father-in-law threw out the first ball for the first game - he was mayor), two years before World War ONE.

And it feels about like it. There are some seats there that point in the wrong direction (center field), so you have to look sorta sideways to see home plate. And they're expensive, too, for a stadium that twice drew fewer than 500 fans to games in September 1965. It's fun to go - once.

BAD VENUE NOTES
- one of those cookie cutter stadiums from the 60s for both football and baseball; better built for football.

Atlanta Fulton County Stadium - will always have a place in my heart because my grandfather and Dad took me to my first ballgame there. But despite all the 1991 efforts at upgrading, the thing always smelled like someone wizzed everywhere. It also felt "far away" from the action.

Jerry World - is like being in a cavernous tin can far from the action where you're expected to watch TV after paying a month's salary just to park your vehicle. The bands for both Alabama and Michigan sounded like I was listening to a Christmas parade nine blocks over.

Amon Carter (TCU) - has probably improved after the upgrades but was a high school stadium with no wind resistance for the Armed Forces Bowls I attended there.
Ive only been to Jerry World once and loved it because of the amount of space in and out of the stadium. I have been to the new GA Dome and absolutely hated it because it’s cramped in and outside the stadium.

Vaught is high for me because I was told for years about how great the experience is, how friendly those fans are, and how beautiful it is but absolutely none of those 3 things are true. The Grove is just a more cramped place that resembles a 70’s Southern Rock band festival. I heard numerous Ancestry.com jokes from Mississippi fans. The campus really wasn’t that great. The stadium is a Texas High School stadium at best. To be honest I give USCe more points than Ole Miss.

SEC stadiums & experiences (excluding BDS)

1) Kyle Field
2) Tiger
3) MSU
4) JHS
5) Neyland
6) William Brice
7) Farout
8) VHS

Reactions: 92tide

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.