Which Venue Is The Biggest Dump You’ve Ever Visited?

TIDETOWN

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 5, 2007
Legion Field- I used to see chalk drawings and police tape on way to stadium.
I've already cast my vote Legion field and I know she was a great stadium in the 70's and 80's but by the 90's she was a sad vision of her former self. I have not been to a lot of college venues but I have been to Auburn, Oxford, Vanderbilt, Tuscaloosa, Sanford, Clemson and Neyland. I agree the vertical aspect of Neyland did not seem safe but after Bama left B'ham it was all over for Legion field.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I thought you might give us a firsthand account of the Lions-Christians match from the Roman Colosseum....

I've had multiple people say that Neyland is basically a 1930s stadium that they just built onto. Like I was saying earlier, I think it's our imaginations when we were younger and didn't see these stadiums and stuff every single week. So Ed Thelenius could drone on about "between the hedges at Sanford Stadium". I recall the first time I ever saw Bryant-Denny on TV - the 1981 Miss State game that was broadcast on tape delay on ESPN - and my first thought was, "THIS is a football stadium?" It's majestic now with all the add-ons, but it looked like something Walter Camp might have drawn the first plays up on first time I saw it.
Only a little later. Denny was, IIRC, around 37K and hadn't been expanded since the early 40s. It consisted of the two lower decks and bleachers in the EZs. Coach Bryant returned in 1958 and fortunes turned up. The stadium was expanded to 61K in 1961...

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I thought you might give us a firsthand account of the Lions-Christians match from the Roman Colosseum....

I've had multiple people say that Neyland is basically a 1930s stadium that they just built onto. Like I was saying earlier, I think it's our imaginations when we were younger and didn't see these stadiums and stuff every single week. So Ed Thelenius could drone on about "between the hedges at Sanford Stadium". I recall the first time I ever saw Bryant-Denny on TV - the 1981 Miss State game that was broadcast on tape delay on ESPN - and my first thought was, "THIS is a football stadium?" It's majestic now with all the add-ons, but it looked like something Walter Camp might have drawn the first plays up on first time I saw it.
Neyland is a bad stadium but it’s surroundings and driving through North Alabama at that time of year mostly makes up for it.

I would say dumps of surroundings Miss St, South Carolina, and aTm are pretty bad.

Miss St- nothing but a Greek lawn and bad bbq

South Carolina- a fairground in the middle of nowhere

aTm- makes you feel like you are on a nice army base where every building is brown or white.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I wonder how much longer Legion Field will survive? The new downtown stadium will host UAB and the bowl game. Legion Field will be down to the Magic City Classic.

tlockwood

1st Team
Dec 15, 2000
Hephzibah, Ga
I haven't been to that many stadiums so my experience is limited.

I was not that impressed with Auburn. The bathroom situations were impossible as many stadiums are but it seemed worse to me. I learned quickly to not wait until I had to go.

Reactions: NoNC4Tubs

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I haven't been to that many stadiums so my experience is limited.

I was not that impressed with Auburn. The bathroom situations were impossible as many stadiums are but it seemed worse to me. I learned quickly to not wait until I had to go.
Bathroom wise I’ve always found BDS particularly bad because they are right by the concessions and right when you walk into the concourses. So lines are miserable.

aTm is probably the best. I would go as far to say Kyle field is how BDS should be and the best stadium in the SEC. they have these block structures on the ends of their platforms and it has a concession on each side of and the bathrooms are behind the stands in a bigger concourse. There literally is no traffic for food or bathroom there.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
My opinion, has to be Neyland for the stadium. After the renovation in the late eighties or early nineties it was the worst! Fenway, on the other hand was quite enjoyable . I have sat both in the bleachers, great time and in box seats along first line . Bleachers was a party and first base box seats were great place to watch a baseball game!! The stadium wasn’t great, but neither was old Yankee Stadium!

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Has anyone been to Kentucky’s stadium or the Liberty Bowl. Because both look old and have a weird look on tv.
I have been to Kentucky once. My wife went to Jacksonville State and we went when they played them a few years ago.

A strange experience. There was zero buzz about the game in town. The headline in the paper Saturday morning was about the opening weekend of Keenland. We talked to a few people at dinner the night before and they seemed vaguely aware there was a game the next day.

The stadium was fine, just small by Alabama standards. The strange thing is the field is named for CM Newton. Only Kentucky names their football field after a basketball coach.

Aladadgumbama

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 22, 2005
Neyland Stadium, unquestioned. To keep their stadium the largest in the SEC, they simply move the bleacher seat allotment closer together (from 16 inches to 12 inches). The TVs in the men's room on the east side of the stadium are old 19" black & whites. They have 1 concession stand on the east sideline lower deck that sells coke & sprite by the cup with ice (to mix our alcohol). It is basically a 104,000 seat High School stadium.

Reactions: CB4

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Neyland Stadium, unquestioned. To keep their stadium the largest in the SEC, they simply move the bleacher seat allotment closer together (from 16 inches to 12 inches). The TVs in the men's room on the east side of the stadium are old 19" black & whites. They have 1 concession stand on the east sideline lower deck that sells coke & sprite by the cup with ice (to mix our alcohol). It is basically a 104,000 seat outdoor toilet.
Fixed it for ya.... 😉😉😉

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Neyland Stadium, unquestioned. To keep their stadium the largest in the SEC, they simply move the bleacher seat allotment closer together (from 16 inches to 12 inches). The TVs in the men's room on the east side of the stadium are old 19" black & whites. They have 1 concession stand on the east sideline lower deck that sells coke & sprite by the cup with ice (to mix our alcohol). It is basically a 104,000 seat High School stadium.
You do realize that, to reach that 104K, they count everyone inside the gates, including all support personnel and probably the players, which they started doing when Bama passed them at 102K. No other stadium does that...

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
Most on my list have been previously mentioned, some numerous times but here goes anyway:

Football
College: I've been to Neyland many times and it has never improved, other worthy candidates include Davis Wade ('92), Vandy ('92), LSU ('92), Ladd (in Mobile), Legion Field.

Pro: "The Sombrero" in Tampa was just plain awful, so was Fulton County in ATL

Basketball
I've not been to as many so my candidate pool is smaller but the hands down winner would be Beard-Eaves in auburn. The place was horrid, from every perspective: fan, player, sightlines, seats, acoustics, concessions, temperature (had no a/c), etc..., the runner-up, the BJCC before renovations - perhaps even after them.

green_knight94

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 26, 2018
I agree with War Memorial in Little Rock
Independence Stadium in Shreveport

but as for on campus stadiums I have to say Tiger Stadium.

Probius

Hall of Fame
Mar 19, 2004
Birmingham, Alabama
I was in Starkvegas back in '07 and that was a terrible stadium at that time. It appears to have improved since then, but I haven't been back since back then. Legion Field has also gotten pretty rough over the years. I was at Bama's last game there in '03 when Bama played South Florida. I was also at Legion Field to see AJ play Briarwood in '07, and then it looked like a stiff wind might knock the stadium down.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.