Who does Alabama end with on National Signing Day?

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
The only one left is Jayson Jones who is a life long Tide fan and is committed to us. The problem is that he is a prototypical Offensive Tackle but he wants to play D Tackle. Oregon is all over him and he is expected to go there but the Tide coaches have had time to work on him if they want him enough. Not sure if it would matter at this late juncture anyway. Jones is suppose to announce at his school in Calera at 2PM.
Heck, i'd let him play DT...……...........

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
From what I'm reading on boards, and I know everyone is somewhat disappointed, but it sounds like McKinley Jackson didn't handle the recruiting process the last few days well.

I wouldn't be shocked if Coach Saban changes the approach to where if you are committed and has green light, then sign in December. I don't think he will wait for NSD in Feb anymore... unless it is special circumstance. Also, He may take Clemson's approach. Once you are committed to us, no shopping around.
None of the above would surprise me either moving forward.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
you are correct but i wonder why that is, you rarely hear of a long nfl career for DT'S, there are some but not many.
If you watch the tackle they are on an island and they rarely take impacts to the lower body compared to a DL which is getting hit from all sides, all directions and are running down field getting additional impacts. What's the tackle doing after about 3 seconds? watching the play unfold downfield. I mean look at Watts, the guy is built like a mac truck and looks like a borg he's so wrecked after just a few seasons, meanwhile it's not unusual for a left tackle to retire after 10 and 15 year careers with virtually no injuries. The only advantage to the DL position is that there are way more starting opportunities but IF and that's a big word IF. if you have the talent to start at Tackle you're a moron to not take it.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
So, Bama still has a chance at him? I figured Oregon was his destination
All I know is that the kid is a life long Bama fan and wants to play D Tackle in college. Not sure if there is a chance at him but the staff has had time to try to keep him if they want him.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
I wouldn't. Saban has a plan for the players, and he is honest about it. If the players do not like his plan for them, they need to look elsewhere.

You can't start letting the players run the program.
This x 100...I think I have only ever given a full banjeaux two or three times...I can stop giving them now!!!
(guessing I won't, but I could!!!)

Very well put B1G!!!👏👏👏

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Two great points...How they're related, not sure? 🤷‍♂️ 😁😉
Meaning that even if we signed the top 25 players each year, there’s only room for so many. So, some are going to be a “miss” if they don’t start or contribute heavily.

So, I’m fine with missing on a few, because we’ve signed enough top tier talent to take care of our needs.

Unless Cochran starts breaking everyone’s knee over the Summer

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
I wouldn't. Saban has a plan for the players, and he is honest about it. If the players do not like his plan for them, they need to look elsewhere.

No one really knows the circumstances. I expect the kid will sign with Oregon because they really need him out there and have shown a lot of love. I believe the whole coaching staff was in Calera this week. But, if there is a chance to get him on campus as a life long Tide fan and 4* D Tackle then it might be a good option. Maybe not but only the family and the staff know the circumstances here.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

Exactly and if Saban and staff don't think he can play DT in the SEC then I trust their evaluation. FYI, I have heard they want Jason to play OG and not OT. His feet/quickness is the reason they do not want him at DT and you have to have both to play OT.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
If we lose Jones, we will probably slip to 3rd in rankings, but losing Jones will put us above Clemson for the highest average per recruit. Which doesn’t really make sense. I mean if you have the highest average, and have the most recruits, you should have the most points. But oh well.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
Exactly and if Saban and staff don't think he can play DT in the SEC then I trust their evaluation. FYI, I have heard they want Jason to play OG and not OT. His feet/quickness is the reason they do not want him at DT and you have to have both to play OT.
It doesn't really matter at Oregon cause they don't need Defense out there. Just take another deep draw on the pipe and wait for the next offensive series.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
From what I'm reading on boards, and I know everyone is somewhat disappointed, but it sounds like McKinley Jackson didn't handle the recruiting process the last few days well.

I wouldn't be shocked if Coach Saban changes the approach to where if you are committed and has green light, then sign in December. I don't think he will wait for NSD in Feb anymore... unless it is special circumstance. Also, He may take Clemson's approach. Once you are committed to us, no shopping around.
We do that to an extent now. We had four committed we held back on letting them sign early and three were due to grades and one was requested to change positions if he wanted to sign and he would have signed early if he had agreed to it. None of these four had the green light during the early signing period. Jackson was a kid who waited until the late period but was never committed to us.

• Thank You
Reactions: B1GTide

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.