Who here plays guitar...and if so, do you have a favorite? Are you a hobbyist, or do you play professionally? Extra points for pictures...

BearFoot

All-SEC
Mar 12, 2017
Fairhope, Alabama
I watch a lot of videos from this guy.

That addiction is lovingly referred to as GAS (Guitar Acquisition Syndrome)…and you seem to have a really good case of it NT18 😁

Since we convened last, I’ve built (and sold) many more guitars…and I’m finishing up a couple more for the same show in Texas that I present my work at every year.

One of these is my very first “Multi-scale” (fan-fret) guitar, which will have a 25” scale-length on the treble side of the fretboard…and 25.75” on the bass side.

This is one of my most recent builds…
24D767D3-519F-47A8-8912-5D4B9E1717A4.jpeg

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California

That addiction is lovingly referred to as GAS (Guitar Acquisition Syndrome)…and you seem to have a really good case of it NT18 😁

Since we convened last, I’ve built (and sold) many more guitars…and I’m finishing up a couple more for the same show in Texas that I present my work at every year.

One of these is my very first “Multi-scale” (fan-fret) guitar, which will have a 25” scale-length on the treble side of the fretboard…and 25.75” on the bass side.

View attachment 34999
Gorgeous. Just absolutely stunning. If my lottery ticket hits tonight expect an order from me.

Reactions: Go Bama

BearFoot

All-SEC
Mar 12, 2017
Fairhope, Alabama
I’ve been wanting to find someone to build a “Crimson Tide” themed guitar for…
I wonder if we could meet with Coach Saban, show it to him, and get him to autograph it for you too? He’s probably do it if you promised to play his favorite Rolling Stones song 🎶
Gorgeous. Just absolutely stunning. If my lottery ticket hits tonight expect an order from me.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

View attachment 34999
the grain pattern on the back is beautiful.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I have no idea how I have missed this thread for so long!

@BearFoot, just WOW! Your guitars look amazing and I'm sure they also sound amazing.

I started playing in high school, but the bug bit me when I was in college. There are very few days I haven't played since.

I've probably had 50 guitars which sounds like a lot but if you get just on a year they add up. I've never had more than 15 at once.

I've been playing guitar and tenor sax with the Four on the Floor band for almost 36 years now. We've played about 1200 gigs. It's mostly classic rock and oldies so nothing as technically challenging as what Big Al is playing, but I do have good chops for just about any kind of music. I play Blues, Jazz, Rock, Country, and Bluegrass. The Bluegrass is the most challenging.

While I am left handed, I play right handed guitars. I was never comfortable with left handed guitars. Who knows why?

Pictured are the guitars I play now. It's almost exclusively electric since chemotherapy has left my hand weaker and I have a harder time fretting the acoustics.

Guitar Family.jpg

I built the pink strat. By far the best strat on the planet. :cool:

My friend, Dan Honeycutt, built the walnut tele. It has a B bender that Joe Glaser installed for me during the Covid shutdown. Dan is my best friend in West Tennessee. He's a retired physician and now builds guitars. He sells them at Carter Vintage Guitars in Nashville.

The yellow PRS SE has been hot rodded and sounds more like a Les Paul than any Les Paul I've ever played. All of the hardware has been upgraded.

The green PRS is a 35th Anniversary Custom 24 and it's now my workhorse. I was holding out for a perfect DGT but just got tired of searching and waiting. It's a monster guitar and usually the only one I carry to gigs these days. I played it last night in Franklin, KY, last Saturday in Cookeville, TN.

That's a blue Setzer Hot Rod in the middle. If you don't like Setzer, you need some serious help. The guitar is pure Gretsch tone wise. It was a banner day when Fender bought Gretsch.

I can talk guitars all day long. My father talked me out of being a full time professional musician. It was the right thing to do at the time and I have no regrets, but if life granted me a Mulligan ......

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
thanks @GoBama, I was wondering when we would get to see some of your stash.

if this wasn't a guitar thread, i would have given you a full banjeaux
I have a Fender Road Worn Tele at the office, a Fender Strat (I’ve forgotten the model), a POS classical, Danelectro 7 string, a Schecter Hellraiser, and a G&L bass. Plus these three.

Acoustics.jpg

That's a Collings OMC2 on the left. It's the only steel string acoustic I have left, but of all the acoustics I've owned, it's the one I've always gone back to.

I'm selling the Heritage in the middle. It's a great guitar, but it's time to let it go. They're hard to sell, and I don't see me having to do many more jazz gigs. If I do, the PRS has a stellar jazz tone and is a lot easier to carry to the gig.

The classical guitar is a Dauphin. It's probably not worth a lot, but it was a gift from a friend and patient who is legally blind now and can't read music anymore. He asks me to learn classical pieces from time to time and I play them for him. He still has a Kenny Hill, which is a much nicer guitar. The Dauphin sounds just fine to my rock and roll ear.

I bought a Line 6 Helix a while back so I'm moving all my amps except a Mesa Mini Rectifier. When I loaded up to go to the gig yesterday, all I needed was the PRS, Helix, and gig bag. I play the Helix through the floor monitor. I haven't sold my floor pedals yet, but they're going on the auction block soon.

My tenor sax is a '72 Selmer Paris Mark VI. I haven't even thought about buying another tenor since getting it. My alto is a '63 Buffet Crampon. Killer horn, but I'll sell it soon. My sax chops could use a lot of work, but I get by on stage playing what I know.

@NationalTitles18, if you're still looking for a mouthpiece for your sax, I use Theo Wanne Durga for both horns. Loud and bright and good for R&R. I also have a Bobby Dukoff 5 star that I used for years before getting the Wanne. I'll give you the Dukoff if you are interested. It's also loud and proud. I've always leaned toward metal mouthpieces in a band because you can just hear them better on stage. I bought the Dukoff back in the 80's after reading that's what Dave Sanborn played.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I have no idea how I have missed this thread for so long!

@BearFoot, just WOW! Your guitars look amazing and I'm sure they also sound amazing.

I started playing in high school, but the bug bit me when I was in college. There are very few days I haven't played since.

I've probably had 50 guitars which sounds like a lot but if you get just on a year they add up. I've never had more than 15 at once.

I've been playing guitar and tenor sax with the Four on the Floor band for almost 36 years now. We've played about 1200 gigs. It's mostly classic rock and oldies so nothing as technically challenging as what Big Al is playing, but I do have good chops for just about any kind of music. I play Blues, Jazz, Rock, Country, and Bluegrass. The Bluegrass is the most challenging.

While I am left handed, I play right handed guitars. I was never comfortable with left handed guitars. Who knows why?

Pictured are the guitars I play now. It's almost exclusively electric since chemotherapy has left my hand weaker and I have a harder time fretting the acoustics.

View attachment 35090

I built the pink strat. By far the best strat on the planet. :cool:

My friend, Dan Honeycutt, built the walnut tele. It has a B bender that Joe Glaser installed for me during the Covid shutdown. Dan is my best friend in West Tennessee. He's a retired physician and now builds guitars. He sells them at Carter Vintage Guitars in Nashville.

The yellow PRS SE has been hot rodded and sounds more like a Les Paul than any Les Paul I've ever played. All of the hardware has been upgraded.

The green PRS is a 35th Anniversary Custom 24 and it's now my workhorse. I was holding out for a perfect DGT but just got tired of searching and waiting. It's a monster guitar and usually the only one I carry to gigs these days. I played it last night in Franklin, KY, last Saturday in Cookeville, TN.

That's a blue Setzer Hot Rod in the middle. If you don't like Setzer, you need some serious help. The guitar is pure Gretsch tone wise. It was a banner day when Fender bought Gretsch.

I can talk guitars all day long. My father talked me out of being a full time professional musician. It was the right thing to do at the time and I have no regrets, but if life granted me a Mulligan ......
I have a Fender Road Worn Tele at the office, a Fender Strat (I’ve forgotten the model), a POS classical, Danelectro 7 string, a Schecter Hellraiser, and a G&L bass. Plus these three.

View attachment 35092

That's a Collings OMC2 on the left. It's the only steel string acoustic I have left, but of all the acoustics I've owned, it's the one I've always gone back to.

I'm selling the Heritage in the middle. It's a great guitar, but it's time to let it go. They're hard to sell, and I don't see me having to do many more jazz gigs. If I do, the PRS has a stellar jazz tone and is a lot easier to carry to the gig.

The classical guitar is a Dauphin. It's probably not worth a lot, but it was a gift from a friend and patient who is legally blind now and can't read music anymore. He asks me to learn classical pieces from time to time and I play them for him. He still has a Kenny Hill, which is a much nicer guitar. The Dauphin sounds just fine to my rock and roll ear.

I bought a Line 6 Helix a while back so I'm moving all my amps except a Mesa Mini Rectifier. When I loaded up to go to the gig yesterday, all I needed was the PRS, Helix, and gig bag. I play the Helix through the floor monitor. I haven't sold my floor pedals yet, but they're going on the auction block soon.

My tenor sax is a '72 Selmer Paris Mark VI. I haven't even thought about buying another tenor since getting it. My alto is a '63 Buffet Crampon. Killer horn, but I'll sell it soon. My sax chops could use a lot of work, but I get by on stage playing what I know.

@NationalTitles18, if you're still looking for a mouthpiece for your sax, I use Theo Wanne Durga for both horns. Loud and bright and good for R&R. I also have a Bobby Dukoff 5 star that I used for years before getting the Wanne. I'll give you the Dukoff if you are interested. It's also loud and proud. I've always leaned toward metal mouthpieces in a band because you can just hear them better on stage. I bought the Dukoff back in the 80's after reading that's what Dave Sanborn played.
I love your guitar lineup and then you throw out that you have a Mark VI?! Holy smokes, man - you have good taste! Conn-Selmer is making the Better Sax line and I plan on getting the alto that's out now and maybe the tenor when it hits the shelves because they seem to be well made for a decent price. I have no idea what that model year of Buffet is worth, but I may be interested in it when the time comes. The Mark IV is almost certainly out of reach for me just now. Safeguard that horn, man.

I do miss a metal mouthpiece and a 5* is perfect. I had one years ago. I gave the horn with the mouthpiece to a young person in the local HS band after I gave up playing for a while. Mrs. NT18 bought me a tenor a few years ago, which started me getting back into playing both instruments. Theo Wanne is one of the best in the business. You're very kind to offer the Dukoff (also highly regarded) and I am interested in your generous offer. I don't quite know what to say other than that. Thank you.

Reactions: BearFoot

BearFoot

All-SEC
Mar 12, 2017
Fairhope, Alabama
Thanks for joining in @Go Bama …better late than never!!!
(a few remarks for you):
1- I’m also a natural lefty playing righty
2- real men can sport pink guitars
3- if you’re ever down around Fairhope, get in touch
3- keep on rocking in the free world

Reactions: Go Bama

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.