Who here plays guitar...and if so, do you have a favorite? Are you a hobbyist, or do you play professionally? Extra points for pictures...

NationalTitles18

Super Moderator
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I've played for many years.

View attachment 20970
Some of the gear has changed since this photo was taken. I still have the Carvin stack by I mainly play a Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 now.

Here's a short snippet I recorded a few years ago that shows my general playing style:

Talk about G.A.S!

Very nice collection.

My nephew is 8 (I think? :D ). He likes music and wanted an acoustic so guess what he's getting for Christmas... A little cheap kids beginner guitar with tuner and the like. His favorite songs right now are Old Town Road and the Cha Cha Dance song (because apparently they dance to it at school). Once he gets the cowboy chords down OTR will be an easy one to learn. The other may take just a bit longer. Hoping he catches the bug.

BigAlinKnoxville

Registered
Sep 30, 2002
Knoxville, TN USA
Talk about G.A.S!

Very nice collection.

My nephew is 8 (I think? :D ). He likes music and wanted an acoustic so guess what he's getting for Christmas... A little cheap kids beginner guitar with tuner and the like. His favorite songs right now are Old Town Road and the Cha Cha Dance song (because apparently they dance to it at school). Once he gets the cowboy chords down OTR will be an easy one to learn. The other may take just a bit longer. Hoping he catches the bug.
I wish I had started younger. I waited until 15, but once I started, I was hooked.

NationalTitles18

Super Moderator
May 25, 2003
I wish I had started younger. I waited until 15, but once I started, I was hooked.
I started at about 19, played a few years and then family became more important and money was too tight. I only played guitar part time since sax was my true home. I just picked back up little by little over the past year (and that was slowed by illness - better now). I'm making more time for it now. Since I'm 50 I hope to be good by the time I break on through to the other side (see what I did there? :D ). I wish someone had gotten me started at that age. Of course, these days you can get a decent beginner for <$100 that's actually playable and can be upgraded over time or handed down.

I bought my nephew's online so I hope it's set up pretty well because I'm a long way away. He actually sneered at an electric. :D

NationalTitles18

Super Moderator
May 25, 2003
Absolutely. I can walk into a pawn shop these days and pick up a Squier Strat for the princely sum of about $69.99, and it walks all over the hunk of junk I started learning on.
Since I'm in the middle of nowhere (literally, as in close to 2 hours to get to a Walmart) I did my shopping online. A parent can pick up a Glarry or an Indio or Eart that is completely playable for less than $100, go used like you mentioned, or go to a music store and get a Squier or Yamaha or similar for <$200. They can add a tube amp used for cheap or a cheapie for about $200 or a modeling amp for about $150. Without getting into any debate about the merits of any of those choices, it's amazing how someone can start out today with everything they need for <$500 and that will get far more than I ever had to begin with. My first was a low-end Ibanez and a Crate solid state amp and it was not bad at all for <$500 at the time. My friend kept his Fender Strat and Peavey tube amp at church and I played it some there. It had a little too much twang for my taste unless it was on the neck pickup and/or you played with the tone/presence rolled back. I have no idea what his cost back then but he was almost born with one in his hand.

Reactions: BigAlinKnoxville

BearFoot

1st Team
Mar 12, 2017
Fairhope, Alabama
twohandsguitars.com
Very nice guit-fiddles you have there. I’m friends with the Kiesel who owns Carvin Audio. He trained me to run the soundboard for our Worship band at church. I’ve never met his cousin who runs Kiesel Guitars though.

One of the cool things I’ve gotten to do because of our friendship, is hang out with Steve Vai on multiple occasions…due to his association with Carvin. I even got to hang out all day with Zakk Wylde and Nuno Bettencourt in Jacksonville during the Generation Axe show.
167253BB-C924-43CD-BE1A-E11655AF65AC.jpeg

I got into Carvin (now Kiesel) guitars a few years ago. Here are some of my babies:

[img]http://www.southtech1644.com/files/ST8.jpg
[IMG]http://www.southtech1644.com/files/ST7.jpg

And of course, I just had to order one in Crimson:

BigAlinKnoxville

Registered
Sep 30, 2002
Knoxville, TN USA
Very nice guit-fiddles you have there. I’m friends with the Kiesel who owns Carvin Audio. He trained me to run the soundboard for our Worship band at church. I’ve never met his cousin who runs Kiesel Guitars though.

One of the cool things I’ve gotten to do because of our friendship, is hang out with Steve Vai on multiple occasions…due to his association with Carvin. I even got to hang out all day with Zakk Wylde and Nuno Bettencourt in Jacksonville during the Generation Axe show.
View attachment 21084
Wow. I can see the resemblance between him and Jeff Kiesel, who runs Kiesel Guitars. It's cool that you know some celebrities!

BearFoot

1st Team
Mar 12, 2017
Fairhope, Alabama
twohandsguitars.com
Wow. I can see the resemblance between him and Jeff Kiesel, who runs Kiesel Guitars. It's cool that you know some celebrities!
Knowing what Jeff looks like…I believe you’re confused by the picture. This is a picture of me and Steve Vai. The Carvin shirt probably confused you…I was informally representing Carvin at that function, so I was wearing their logo.

It’s funny how different musicians act off stage. Steve, Zakk and Nuno are just regular guys...and appreciate being treated as such. I spent the whole day backstage with them, and could tell you some hilarious stories. Yngwie Malmsteen, on the other hand, is every bit the preening self-absorbed prima donna that you see under the lights. His ego is so large, it has its own atmosphere.

BigAlinKnoxville

Registered
Sep 30, 2002
Knoxville, TN USA
Knowing what Jeff looks like…I believe you’re confused by the picture. This is a picture of me and Steve Vai. The Carvin shirt probably confused you…I was informally representing Carvin at that function, so I was wearing their logo.

It’s funny how different musicians act off stage. Steve, Zakk and Nuno are just regular guys...and appreciate being treated as such. I spent the whole day backstage with them, and could tell you some hilarious stories. Yngwie Malmsteen, on the other hand, is every bit the preening self-absorbed prima donna that you see under the lights. His ego is so large, it has its own atmosphere.
Ah. Sorry about the mix-up.

I've heard the same about all of the above, that Vai in particular is a "regular guy." I went to a guitar clinic in Dallas years ago to see Nuno. Extreme was on tour and he was doing clinics in support of the old ADA rack amp company and, I think, Washburn Guitars. He came across as a very funny, laid-back kind of guy.

As for Yngwie, his playing is incredible. But yeah, I've heard the "I'm better than you" stories about him. You should watch his guitar instructional series. It's hilarious. He'll say, "Here it is played slowly," then proceeds to rip at Mach III.

:ROFLMAO:

BamaSC

All-SEC
Oct 17, 1999
Chapin, SC
I decided to wait on doing a kit build for now. I do hope to do one in the somewhat near future. I think it would be fun and a great learning experience and I lean toward a 335 type for that (because I want one anyway). Maybe in about 6 months around my birthday. I have to get some basic luthier/setup tools and teach myself how to properly finish the wood anyway.

In the meantime, I got myself an early Christmas present. She’s an absolute pleasure to play.

View attachment 20850View attachment 20851View attachment 20852View attachment 20853
Very nice! Are you digging it?

Latest threads