Who is your Preseason Top 5

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
We have an interesting position. Barring key injuries, I think we’ll be the best team by the end of the year. But we’re breaking in a new QB and WR corps, and replacing key OL talent and leadership. Not to mention a new OC and QB coach. So while we’ll be formidable later in the season, I also expect some early growing pains for the offense. Agree that defense should be much improved.

To me, the real challenge is that our schedule doesn’t set up well for that profile.

Florida has Florida Atlantic and South Florida leading into our game. So I have no doubt that Cousin Eddie will be preparing for us throughout the offseason and first three weeks of the season. Good for us, though, that his QB has not had meaningful playing time, and especially that there is no more Pitts. It won’t be a pushover, but Mullen is on the sideline, and I’m optimistic he’ll yak one up again.

Ole Miss opens with three cupcakes then off the week before playing us. Think Kiffin hasn’t spent every day since their bowl game preparing for us, and will use the first four weeks of the season doing exactly the same thing? We’re vulnerable in this one, even though it’s in BDS.

aTm plays two cupcakes, off, and Miss State before us. By this time, we should be rounding into form, but while they have their own QB questions, they return a lot of talent, and it’s in College Station.

If we get through that, I’m confident. But as I said above, our schedule doesn’t set up all that well for a highly talented, but developing, team that’s replacing a lot of veteran leadership.

Side note: Regardless of the outcome of the Alabama - Ole Miss game, Ole Miss will be physically and mentally spent when they play Arkansas the following week. Never mind who’s favored by how many points, place a bet on Arkansas.

Last edited:

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I have no clue what anyone is bringing back except Alabama. With that said:

1. Alabama. This will be our best defense since the game changed to a hunh style of offense. I get the feeling Bryce Young is going to fall right in step with Tua and Mac. Weapons are young on offense but very talented.

2. Oklahoma. Mainly because you guys are telling me they’re returning a ton of talent but also because they are returning their QB. I figure with Coach Riley that matters more than anything. Their defense won’t matter until the playoffs.

3. Ohio State. I trust Ryan Day, I know they are loaded with talent even if Fields is in the NFL now, and I know the Big Ten has still not caught up with them. By the time the playoffs roll around, he will have his QB situation figured out.

4. Georgia. Begrudgingly I realize they’ve got a good QB and they’ve always recruited well. Hell, they had plenty of talent under Ray Goff. Talent is never a Georgia problem, its brains in the HC office. Speaking of, Kirby is more Ray Goff than Nick Saban.

5. Clemson. Another begrudging vote. They’ll run roughshod over the ACC yet again. Notre Dame needs to go ahead and marry that girl instead of this cohabiting arrangement they’ve got going on because Florida State ain’t walking back through that door and Miami is DOA. Clemson needs some competition in that conference. Look I get Notre Dame’s limitations but they will give Clemson a lot more struggle than FSU or Miami ever will.

JayBama_in_PCOLA

All-American
Oct 2, 2020
Andalusia (living in Pace/Pensacola, Fl)
Here’s my shot at it.

1. BAMA - reloaded and even better on defense. If our WR Corp is close to last year, we will run though the nation like castor oil. Of course, Saban and all that TALENT being coached up.
2. Ohio State - Weak B1G and schedule. Media darlings will be back in the playoff.Talent wins seemingly all the time up there despite coaching.
3. Clemson - Dabo will have them ready to play. Talent is there and they love their QB which has played against competitio, although it was ND.
4. UGA - very talented team, coaching is subpar though. Kirby is a great recruite. I do think that their defense will be great, offense, well, I’m not so sure I’m sold.
5. Oklahoma- They return a lot, but they don’t play defense in the Big 12. Until that happens I can’t see them winning it all. They have a chance though if the defense shows up.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
1. Oklahoma --because of what they've got coming back and what they got from the portal. Grinch has totally revamped their D
2. Alabama--we probably can afford to take a step back on O and still win 11 games. D should be improved
3. Ohio State--way ahead of everyone in their conference
4. Clemson--see previous comment about Ohio State

DawgAlum2054

1st Team
Dec 20, 2018
LSU continues to recruit at a high level. They may not be top 5 but they would be in my top 10.
coach O might be more inline with gene Chizik than any other coach. This season will be the deciding factor on that in my opinion. Their ceiling is probably a 10-2 season with 8-4 much more likely. I believe Vegas has their over/under at 8.5

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
LSU continues to recruit at a high level. They may not be top 5 but they would be in my top 10.
LSU is probably top 20, but I don’t see a huge unforeseen season like 2019.

The SEC I got

West

1) Alabama
2) Ole Miss
3) aTm
4) LSU
5) Arkansas
6) Auburn
7) State

East

1) UGA
2) UF
3) Mizzou
4) Kentucky
5) South Carolina
6) Tennessee
7) Vandy

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
OU fans FOR THE MOST PART are really great fans.
IME (and I've met a ton of them) OU fans are not unlike UGA fans - they believe they're at the top of the mountain. OU feels that way because they dominate a crappy conference - but they can never achieve the ultimate goal. It's been decades since they won a NC, yet they act like they're Bama's equal.

They really need to either win one or shut up about how great they are.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
IME (and I've met a ton of them) OU fans are not unlike UGA fans - they believe they're at the top of the mountain. OU feels that way because they dominate a crappy conference - but they can never achieve the ultimate goal. It's been decades since they won a NC, yet they act like they're Bama's equal.

They really need to either win one or shut up about how great they are.
It is stunning to me to think about the fact they have not won an NC since 2000. Twenty-one years! When they won the title in 2000, it had been 15 years since their previous one in 1985. Stunning that it has been a longer gap since Bob Stoops won that title in his second season with OU.

Of course, they've been good all this time where during the 1990s they sucked royally. But still... that's a long drought for a supposed elite program.

But they'll always have that 2014 Sugar Bowl to fall back on. I swear, when encountering any OU fan it's as if they completely gloss over that Orange Bowl game following 2018.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
It is stunning to me to think about the fact they have not won an NC since 2000. Twenty-one years! When they won the title in 2000, it had been 15 years since their previous one in 1985. Stunning that it has been a longer gap since Bob Stoops won that title in his second season with OU.

Of course, they've been good all this time where during the 1990s they sucked royally. But still... that's a long drought for a supposed elite program.

But they'll always have that 2014 Sugar Bowl to fall back on. I swear, when encountering any OU fan it's as if they completely gloss over that Orange Bowl game following 2018.
Yah, one NC in 35 years is, well, UGA...

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

I don't disagree, but I would add that you have to remember how titles USED TO BE won versus how they are won now. Oklahoma won a couple of titles on probation they'd never get considered for nowadays. The "on-the-field" aspect has reduced the number of titles won by "big names who won the last bowl game and impressed voters with their 60-point offense." Oklahoma has been ten times better than Nebraska since 1996, but one title.

Reactions: TideEngineer08

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.