Who is your Preseason Top 5

jjv0004

1st Team
Dec 13, 2017
Greenville, SC
I will say:
1. Oklahoma - Their offense should be unreal. If the defense has a pulse, I think they finally win it all.
2. Clemson - Their d-line is going to be as good as team that pounded Bama in 2019. I think their QB is a stud.
3. Georgia - I think they fixed their secondary weakness in the portal.
4. Alabama - I think Devonta Smith graduating is the biggest 1 player loss in the Saban era.
5. Ohio State - Will miss Fields a ton.

Reactions: Padreruf

Windsortide

All-American
Nov 11, 2019
1. Alabama DEFENSE& The O improves
2. Clemson QB + Dline will be very good
3. Georgia Improved QB play
4. OU QB + Improving D
5. OSU QB play will determine their fortunes

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
Since some teams never seem to do well when expectations for them are high...

1. auburn
1. uga
1. tennesse
1. michigan
5. Alabama

;)

• Facepalm
Reactions: seebell

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
I will say:
1. Oklahoma - Their offense should be unreal. If the defense has a pulse, I think they finally win it all.
2. Clemson - Their d-line is going to be as good as team that pounded Bama in 2019. I think their QB is a stud.
4. Alabama - I think Devonta Smith graduating is the biggest 1 player loss in the Saban era.
He’s still on the team...

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
i'm just thinking back on all of those times over the last 40 years that georgia was absolutely loaded and the odds on favorite to finally bring the "championship tradition" back to athens. i haven't been following closely enough to know if any seniors came back specifically to take care of business this coming season
They won the one they have because there wasn't a playoff, and they didn't have to face the two other best teams in the SEC. Herschel was good but jeez.

• Thank You
Reactions: 92tide

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
1) Oklahoma - no, I don't believe they'll win it, I just think you kind of give them the nod based on a favorable schedule and the talent returning.

2) Ohio State - I'm a firm believer in Ryan Day until something leads me otherwise

3) Alabama - mostly because I like our guys being ticked at seeing, "THIRD? We blew out #2 last game!"

4) Clemson - because even if they lose to Jawja, they're still in it because they play a bunch of nobodies

5) Georgia - they'd be higher but their window has closed. If they lose to Clemson, they'll collapse and their season will be over. If they beat Clemson, they'll believe this is the new 1980 team and lose two games, Florida and some insane underdog.

Wildcard pick - Auburn.

Not because I have any inside info, but go back and look at Auburn's last several coaches. They all contend in either the first or second year and then spend the rest of their careers of however long as Mr. Disappointment.

Dye - third year, but they were on probation when he got there in a different time
Bowden - unbeaten first year and until final game of second
Tubs - won division his second year
Chizik - won national title his second year
Malzahn - lost national title game in year one

Either this year or next, Auburn will surprise. It's as predictable as something insane happening in Jordan-Hare Stadium.

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA
I will say:
I don’t see a lot here that I disagree with

• Thank You
Reactions: jjv0004

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
To wit: Anonymous coaches trust Nick Saban, Alabama despite coaching departures

"The offense keeps getting better and better and they play at a high level," another anonymous coach said. "And now they have Bill O'Brien (as OC) who is a brilliant mind. And Doug Marrone on the offensive line. I bet it's never happened in college where a school had two offensive coaches who were former NFL head coaches."

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Ultimately, imo, if Bama's offense gels and is as productive as they can be and the defense plays like it should, Bama will likely win it all again. I suspect the offense will surprise some folks and the defense is gonna be fierce.

I'm a bit giddy.
I hope so. I'm pretty excited to see this defense but have some reservations about the offense, mostly because I haven't seen much of it.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I hope so. I'm pretty excited to see this defense but have some reservations about the offense, mostly because I haven't seen much of it.
One thing I've learned with this coach and team.....the excitement anymore is in the uncertainty (at least in the off-season). Uncertainty creates energy and excitement ("Hey, how will we do?") even while knowing we have just the guy to implement it.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
It's best not to make too many judgements based upon A-Day, but what you can always see in A-Day is the potential.

I think Bryce Young showed immense potential as a playmaker who will also protect the football. If that turns out to be the case, Katy bar the door.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
One thing I've learned with this coach and team.....the excitement anymore is in the uncertainty (at least in the off-season). Uncertainty creates energy and excitement ("Hey, how will we do?") even while knowing we have just the guy to implement it.
Honestly I stopped caring about recruiting and who is OC or Quarterback because it’s become irrelevant because this machine doesn’t stop anymore.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Honestly I stopped caring about recruiting and who is OC or Quarterback because it’s become irrelevant because this machine doesn’t stop anymore.
Yep. I never cared much about recruiting - largely because I lived through all those Notre Dame blue chippers that Gerry Faust kept getting while winning slightly more than 1/2 his games. But the science on recruiting has improved vastly over the last 20 years, too.

That being said, I'll take Saban's three-stars over Texas's five-stars any day of the week.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Yep. I never cared much about recruiting - largely because I lived through all those Notre Dame blue chippers that Gerry Faust kept getting while winning slightly more than 1/2 his games. But the science on recruiting has improved vastly over the last 20 years, too.

That being said, I'll take Saban's three-stars over Texas's five-stars any day of the week.
I think the primary enjoyment with regards to recruiting is more about trying to see if you can figure out who will be good/and at what. Especially since we recruit at the level we do. At least that's how it works for me usually. It's another chance to learn more about football IMO.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I think the primary enjoyment with regards to recruiting is more about trying to see if you can figure out who will be good/and at what. Especially since we recruit at the level we do. At least that's how it works for me usually. It's another chance to learn more about football IMO.
I went from being Bummed out for us missing out on Joe McKnight and jumping for joy on getting Julio to not caring at all about Alabama recruiting 7 years later. I get why people like it, but I’ve seen so many dumb takes based off recruiting and so many mini fan clubs because of it. I just trust Saban has brought in another national champion class and call it a day. I let Georgia bark on how recruiting went.

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL
1) Oklahoma - no, I don't believe they'll win it, I just think you kind of give them the nod based on a favorable schedule and the talent returning.

2) Ohio State - I'm a firm believer in Ryan Day until something leads me otherwise

3) Alabama - mostly because I like our guys being ticked at seeing, "THIRD? We blew out #2 last game!"

4) Clemson - because even if they lose to Jawja, they're still in it because they play a bunch of nobodies

5) Georgia - they'd be higher but their window has closed. If they lose to Clemson, they'll collapse and their season will be over. If they beat Clemson, they'll believe this is the new 1980 team and lose two games, Florida and some insane underdog.

Wildcard pick - Auburn.

Not because I have any inside info, but go back and look at Auburn's last several coaches. They all contend in either the first or second year and then spend the rest of their careers of however long as Mr. Disappointment.

Dye - third year, but they were on probation when he got there in a different time
Bowden - unbeaten first year and until final game of second
Tubs - won division his second year
Chizik - won national title his second year
Malzahn - lost national title game in year one

Either this year or next, Auburn will surprise. It's as predictable as something insane happening in Jordan-Hare Stadium.
I am hoping the odds finally do auburn in and they just have a coach that flat out sucks instead of one that sucks but can get lucky sometimes against the best team in the country. They are gonna have to earn it this year if it happens. All their cupcakes are in the month of September. They play like 7 or 8 straight conference games to end the seasons. They have a brutal schedule this year.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
My interest in recruiting has gone WAY down since the Mike Shula era. Probably since the Julio class, really. I don't even know most of the incoming players now. I just wait until they see the field in A-Day or the regular season.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
My interest in recruiting has gone WAY down since the Mike Shula era. Probably since the Julio class, really. I don't even know most of the incoming players now. I just wait until they see the field in A-Day or the regular season.
Unless a recruit makes national news then I’m usually surprised at who is on campus 9/10. I usually wait for my REC friends tell me who is standing out at the scrimmages to really know who is on the team or starting.

It’s really too much information to follow that really doesn’t matter in the long run IMO. I rather keep up with the NFL and MLB news going on at the same time. There are so many threads in which someone is entering the transfer portal and I’m like “who”. Alabama under Saban is a machine that is so good that 5 star top 100 players can’t get a starting position.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.