Who will start at QB next year?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Tua isn't coming back unless he can't work out for the draft - and maybe not then. So, assuming no Tua:

Mac proved that he has the arm talent, poise and leadership abilities that Saban looks for in a QB, so he has the inside track. Young and Lia will push him, which is good for everyone. Tyson only stays around if something weird happens, or if he has decided that he is sticking with Alabama no matter what.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Felipe Franks is leaving Florida to the NFL or another school via transfer portal. Maybe we can get him?

Mac has earned it so far. Lia needs a bit more experience. Tyson as well. I would not trust Young until I see him against some college defense.

Last edited:

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
I'd say Mac Jones, however I think the situation could present itself where Bryce Young eventually takes over as starter. I think it's very possible we could get into a situation where we just aren't moving the ball and getting enough production at some point where Saban looks for a spark and decides to throw Bryce Young into the fire and he suddenly lights it up, much like Tua did in the NCG replacing Jalen.

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
I think Mac will start the first game, and then after that maybe Bryce if he is as good as people say. I assume Taulia will stay but you never know.

No matter who starts, the main goal is to keep at least 3 QB healthy all year with no injuries!

tru2thaduce

All-SEC
Nov 25, 2005
Wichita,Kansas
Mac has the inside track for sure.One thing I’m looking for in our bowl game will be his continued leadership.Dont see many 4th year juniors at their original school in this era of the transfer portal.I expect 2 of the 3 QB’s behind Mac to enter the portal.I love what I see from Young.He looks like an electric player at the position.

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
If Young is as good as Tua, we will hear how the ball never touches the ground. It still took Tua a full year and poor pass play execution from Jalen before Tua was given the chance to take the job full time.
Best case would be Mac executes the offence very well including running when necessary, throwing it away when necessary and being a great Team Leader. I think he can do that.
The rest will fight it out for playing time. The 4 game redshirt will be a factor along with the transfer portal.

Hopefully we can manage our best two or three QBs so they feel a part of the team, and not hurt by broken promises like UGA and Justin Fields. Our offense was not the problem against Auburn except a missed assignment at the goal line that caused a rushed throw, and with a tad more experience Mac throws that ball away, or better yet we pick up the guy running free so Mac can deliver the pass.
I hope Sark stays for a good while. He's proved worthy of complete control of the offense.

JDMinHSV

Scout Team
Jan 11, 2007
Tua isn't coming back unless he can't work out for the draft - and maybe not then. So, assuming no Tua:

Mac proved that he has the arm talent, poise and leadership abilities that Saban looks for in a QB, so he has the inside track. Young and Lia will push him, which is good for everyone. Tyson only stays around if something weird happens, or if he has decided that he is sticking with Alabama no matter what.
A Bryant descendant ain't going nowhere else. He may not play, but he stays.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
If Young is as good as Tua, we will hear how the ball never touches the ground. It still took Tua a full year and poor pass play execution from Jalen before Tua was given the chance to take the job full time.
Best case would be Mac executes the offence very well including running when necessary, throwing it away when necessary and being a great Team Leader. I think he can do that.
The rest will fight it out for playing time. The 4 game redshirt will be a factor along with the transfer portal.

Hopefully we can manage our best two or three QBs so they feel a part of the team, and not hurt by broken promises like UGA and Justin Fields. Our offense was not the problem against Auburn except a missed assignment at the goal line that caused a rushed throw, and with a tad more experience Mac throws that ball away, or better yet we pick up the guy running free so Mac can deliver the pass.
I hope Sark stays for a good while. He's proved worthy of complete control of the offense.
Pretty sure Sark will be good for another season or two even. If he can stay healthy and in a good place he could get another good chance at coaching a decent program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA

I don’t see Sark leaving anytime soon

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
If, for some reason we don't know/understand Tua comes back....duh...he starts.

After that/other than that:

I'd say MJ is the clubhouse leader because of talent and experience...think he probably starts against USC. The question we'd like to know about MJ is can he become a Joe Burrow type QB who punishes defenses with his arm talent? Or, will he be closer to an AJM? The answer to that question may determine if he's the guy or we go with....

Lia...I'm interesting in seeing how much Lia has grown and learned in a year of college coaching. He's not nearly as accurate as his brother OR...

Young is intriguing. I know he hasn't taken a college snap yet, but you don't do what he's done at the H.S. level without being extremely talented. His accuracy is very Tua like in HS. But how he adjusts at the college level to the speed of the game and how fast he picks up on the offense and processing information will determine how much he may push guys in front of him. As another poster said, I could see him pushing Jones later in the year, especially if Jones is turnover prone.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
If Young is as good as Tua, we will hear how the ball never touches the ground.
But the reason that really stood out is because of how Jalen truly struggled (at that point) with throwing the ball and we had receivers who could catch everything when the ball could be delivered to them by Tua.

I'd put Jones ahead of Jalen's arm talent right now.

But, if Young comes in and starts showing he's truly special, like you say, word will start leaking out.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.