Who Will Take a Potential COVID-19 Vaccine?

Will You Take any COVID-19 Vaccine?

• Yes

Votes: 17 53.1%
  • No

Votes: 8 25.0%
  • Unsure

Votes: 7 21.9%

• Total voters

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Please answer the informal poll. Your answer will be secret.

Here's an article from a poll of medical providers. It also references a poll of patients.

I am concerned many will forego a vaccine even if shown to be safe and effective.

Feel free to share your (nonpolitical) thoughts on the matter.

Last edited:

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
One thing I learned from a long career in IT is not to be an early adopter. I will wait until I see some results from others. But then again, I am very healthy and very careful.

I know it's not the same as giving it to the general population, but there are 30,000 early adopters participating in "beta testing" right now. And just as with software getting into less controlled spaces with more numerous configurations of software and hardware it is possible that any vaccine may show problems in gen pop that didn't show in trials. There's a history here in vaccine land as well, with the 1955 Polio vaccine (something like 40k became infected from a defect in inactivating the virus in the vaccine 200 were left with paralysis on some level and there were 10 deaths - it's known as The Cutter Incident) and the 1976 swine flu vaccine which gave about 450 people Guillain-Barré.

Thankfully, processes have improved greatly since then. We have better methods and better safeguards. Even in the rush to get a vaccine out these safeguards should not be discarded (and I don't believe at this point that they will be).

If there are no safety issues I'll be willing to be an early adopter, but I can understand why some may want to sit back and watch in the very early stages. It's likely most will have to wait for a period of time anyway (from a few months to a year or more) while high risk workers including health care and other frontline, military, and others are likely to be the first offered/required to take it. By the time it is widely available we should have a very good idea of the safety profile.

Reactions: B1GTide

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
If it has made it through phase III, sure, I'll gladly take one. With how stubborn people are being about simple things like mask wearing, a vaccine is our last great hope. It didn't have to be, other countries have proven that your can contain and control this thing without a vaccine. Americans are like Mel Gibson at the end of Braveheart; yelling "FREEEEEEDOM!!!!!!" as our bowels are being ripped out.

Reactions: seebell

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
As I posted a few weeks ago ... I have signed up to be a volunteer for the Phase IV testing. Haven't yet been contacted. I refuse to just sit around and armchair QB if I'm not willing to help out at this stage. The vaccines may or may not be long-term effective but so far they seem to be safe and produce the antibodies and bodily response that the research was looking for. This stage will test their actual long-term efficacy.

I'm going to take an extremely hard stance on this one: Once the vaccines are proven effective and safe and are available broadly, the refusal to take them (for anything other than health-related reasons) should be a disqualifier for any level of participation in society, education, grants, scholarships, employment, government assistance, etc. All the yahoos yapping about it on all sides of the debate about COVID should signup or shutup.

Last edited:

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
Please answer the informal poll. Your answer will be secret.

Here's an article from a poll of medical providers. It also references a poll of patients.

I am concerned many will forego a vaccine even if shown to be safe and effective.

Feel free to share your (nonpolitical) thoughts on the matter.

The wording of if you "will take ANY Covid19 vaccine", means nope. If you are ahead of the leading edge in technology, it's called the bleeding edge. I'll pass on being first in line for this thing.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
In the event this has not been posted elsewhere it is potentially good news on the treatment front. There are several articles available on aviptadil RLF-100 and
The FDA grant for inhaled use IND for RLF-100 (aviptadil) to treat patients with moderate and severe COVID-19 aiming to prevent progression to respiratory failure.
HOUSTON – Houston Methodist Hospital is making national headlines after doctors used a new drug to help treat critically ill COVID-19 patients.

Methodist was the first to report the rapid recovery of patients on ventilators and those with severe medical conditions after three days of treatment. The drug is called RLF-100 and is also known as aviptadil. It has been approved by the FDA for emergency use at multiple clinical sites in patients who are too ill to enter the FDA’s Phase 2/3 trials.

According to a press release from the drug maker NeuroRX, independent researchers have reported that aviptadil blocked replication of the SARS coronavirus in human lung cells and monocytes.

According to the report, a 54-year-old man who contracted COVID-19 while being treated for rejection of a double lung transplant came off a ventilator within four days. According to the report, similar results were seen in more than 15 patients.

The drug appeared to have rapidly cleared pneumonitis findings on an X-ray, improved blood oxygen and a 50% or greater average decrease in laboratory markers associated with COVID-19 inflammation, according to the press release.

"No other antiviral agent has demonstrated rapid recovery from viral infection and demonstrated laboratory inhibition of viral replication," said Prof. Jonathan Javitt, CEO and Chairman of NeuroRx. "We are conducting placebo-controlled trials to see whether the observations made in the case-control and open-label studies will be confirmed for less ill patients with COVID-19-related respiratory failure. Our independent Data Monitoring Committee will be conducting an interim analysis of these data later this month."
Houston Medical Article
News Release

• Thank You
Reactions: B1GTide

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.