Poll: Who wins: 1970 Tennessee vs. 1977 Texas?

saturdaysarebet

3rd Team
Jul 26, 2018
1970 Tennessee Volunteers went 11-1 and finished the season ranked #4. They averaged 30.8 points per game while giving up 9.7 points per game. The Vols beat #13 Georgia Tech 17-6 and defeated #11 Air Force 34-13 in the Sugar Bowl. Tennessee's only loss came at Auburn 36-23.

1977 Texas went 11-1 and finished the season ranked #4. Offensively the Longhorns averaged 36.8 points per game while yielding an average of 12.7 points per game. Texas beat #2 Oklahoma 13-6, beat #8 Arkansas on the road 13-9, beat #14 Texas Tech 26-0 and won @ #12 Texas A&M 57-28. The Longhorns only defeat was to #5 Notre Dame 38-10 in the Cotton Bowl

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
How about the Soviet Hockey team and an asteroid.

I hate both orange teams enough. Why do I have to choose one for one over the other.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Because I hate both of these teams with the hatred of one million suns (including the two on Tatooine), I'm not going to to a deep dive, but surface level analysis suggests Texas wins, most probably in a blowout.

1) Phil Fulmer was a guard on the Vols, and he's a loser.

2) The entire SEC was not all that good at that point in time due to its failure on the subject of integration; Texas (for all their problems integrating) had Earl Campbell, and he would have run through the Vols like hot urine through snow.

3) Tennessee's SEC record in 1970 is inflated because the three best teams not named Tennessee were LSU, Ole Miss, and Auburn - and the Vols didn't beat ANY of those teams in 1970. They lost to Auburn by 13 points at Legion Field, and they didn't have to play Archie Manning or LSU. And LSU was so good they only lost to Notre Dame - the same Irish team that beat the 1970 national champion Longhorns in the bowl game - by a score of 3-0. Texas played a much tougher schedule.

Look, whether we want to admit it or not, the SEC of 1967-1979 was - to be blunt about it - not very good overall, which is why Alabama got trashed for winning a bunch of SEC titles and going 0-8-1 in bowls until we chickened out of facing Nebraska and beat State Penn in the 1975 Sugar Bowl. From 1967 to 1975, the SEC lost almost about twice as many bowl games as they won despite going to more than any other conference (the Big 10 wouldn't allow teams to play in anything but the Rose prior to 1974). Plus, my "review of teams records vs EOY ranked teams" shows the 1970s were BY FAR the worst decade of the law of gravity (Alabama won 8 of 9 SEC titles while Ohio State and Michigan won all the Big Ten titles (sharing it five times) and OU and Nebraska won or shared it every single year from 1961 through 1988.

Note also that while Tennessee's record on integration in football is perhaps the best (early on anyway) in the SEC, it was still more of a reminder of what was wrong than what was right.

I think Texas would blow them out by three touchdowns anywhere but Neyland Stadium, and they'd blow them out by two there.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
I'm too young to remember the 1970 UT team but in 1977 most Bama fans probably can't remember anything about Texas because every Bama fan just remembers how the season ended with ND finishing #1 and Alabama #2. Both teams were 11-1 but the thing everyone remembers was ND lost to Ole Miss while Bama beat Ole Miss by 3TD's. Bryant could have had a three-peat since he won in 1978 and 1979.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I'm too young to remember the 1970 UT team but in 1977 most Bama fans probably can't remember anything about Texas because every Bama fan just remembers how the season ended with ND finishing #1 and Alabama #2. Both teams were 11-1 but the thing everyone remembers was ND lost to Ole Miss while Bama beat Ole Miss by 3TD's. Bryant could have had a three-peat since he won in 1978 and 1979.
And we have 1977 Texas to thank for that. They were #1 headed into the Cotton Bowl game against #5 Notre Dame. And due to the completely arbitrary "rules" that were in place that year for the poll voters, beating the #1 ranked team in the final game trumped all other factors so Notre Dame leapfrogged every other contender.

I think we were better than Notre Dame that year. But the unfortunate truth is that Coach Bryant struggled against them for some unknown cosmic reason.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.