Who wins more national championships in the next 10 years.

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Not sure why so many here believe Riley/OU must win one in 2021 or else they never will. The Sooners will just keep improving under Riley and his coaching staff, especially defensively, where they've already overtaken every team in the SEC with the possible exception of Bama. And they'll have the benefit of having the top QB recruits in the nation for at least the next three years.

Having said all that, I have little doubt that the team that wins the most NCs over the next 10 years is the Alabama Crimson Tide.
I'm sorry -- did you say they've overtaken every team in the SEC defensively? Or overtaken everyone in the sec overall? (with the "possible" exception of Bama)?

Reactions: B1GTide

scrybe

3rd Team
Sep 6, 2019
Not sure why so many here believe Riley/OU must win one in 2021 or else they never will. The Sooners will just keep improving under Riley and his coaching staff, especially defensively, where they've already overtaken every team in the SEC with the possible exception of Bama. And they'll have the benefit of having the top QB recruits in the nation for at least the next three years.

Having said all that, I have little doubt that the team that wins the most NCs over the next 10 years is the Alabama Crimson Tide.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.

So OU's D is better than UGa's...NM, just realized who I replied to...nothing to see here...

Last edited:

buckeyeFB_

3rd Team
Jun 24, 2019
I think Bama wins the most in the next 10 years because your recruiting/development has been the most consistent. My prediction is Saban coaches at least another 3 seasons and your transition to your next coach goes smoothly because, in addition to the abundance of talent, I think Saban has instilled a culture that will carry over almost no matter who the next coach is.

Clemson is an interesting situation to me. They return 4 out of 5 O-linemen next year, but the one O-lineman they lost was their only good one. I'd certainly guess the other 4 will improve, as it's only natural to get better with reps, but who knows how much they'll improve - maybe their ceilings aren't very high.

We know Clemson's new QB can throw the ball, and they'll definitely still be good on offense, but we also know that their run game was a lot worse without Lawrence (a dual threat) in the game. Take it from an Ohio State fan who lived through 2018 with Dwayne Haskins: a QB's threat as a runner definitely has an effect on your overall run game (unless you can field an O-line like Bama did in 2020 - something Clemson doesn't appear to be capable of).

The scary thing about Clemson, as much as I hate to admit this, is the future of their D-line. Bresee and Murphy were the best DT and DE recruits in the 2020 class and started as true freshmen this past season. They'll only get better, and I especially think Bresee will be a monster. Their other two starters in 2019 were good players too (Tyler Davis might've actually been their best overall D-lineman) and the two of them were both only sophomores. Their D-line could start to look the way it did from 2016-2018 again.

As for Ohio State, I think next few years will tell us a lot about Ryan Day. I like him and have a lot of confidence in him. He can recruit and he can coach, but some coaches struggle to maintain that success for more than a few years. He'll be breaking in a new QB next season, and we'll see if Coombs really is up to the task as DC. Over the next few off-seasons, we may also be facing a lot of turnover (Brian Hartline will be getting OC & NFL offers, Al Washington will be getting DC offers, Kevin Wilson will be getting both OC and HC offers, and Larry Johnson probably only coaches another 2-3 seasons before retiring). It'll be interesting to see how Day handles the potential turnover, and what he does to keep guys like Hartline and Washington (who both at least have OSU roots) on the staff.

I think UGA and Oklahoma will also be competitive, of course. Also think ND could potentially surprise us one year because I think Marcus Freeman was such a great hire for them as DC.

At the end of the day, if I had to make a prediction, I think Bama wins the most in the next 10 years with no clear #2.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
So OU's D is better than UGa's...NM, just realized who I replied to...nothing to see here...
In general I think Oklahoma may have the best team not named Alabama returning in the country. But Oklahoma is like Clemson in that they have a habit of playing down to bad competition and often gets bit because of it.

I think why many believe this is Oklahoma’s best chance of winning one is because the other 3 powers (Bama, Ohio St, and Clemson) have some legitimate questions on their 2021 roster. Personally I think Clemson is the one that doesn’t make it to the playoffs out of those 3. Ohio St I really have no clue because they lost a lot but it’s hard to find a Big 10 team that is going to overtake them. Bama I feel very optimistic about compared to others on here.

But I think if Oklahoma doesn’t win or play for the national championship next year then they probably won’t for the foreseeable future.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
In general I think Oklahoma may have the best team not named Alabama returning in the country. But Oklahoma is like Clemson in that they have a habit of playing down to bad competition and often gets bit because of it.

I think why many believe this is Oklahoma’s best chance of winning one is because the other 3 powers (Bama, Ohio St, and Clemson) have some legitimate questions on their 2021 roster. Personally I think Clemson is the one that doesn’t make it to the playoffs out of those 3. Ohio St I really have no clue because they lost a lot but it’s hard to find a Big 10 team that is going to overtake them. Bama I feel very optimistic about compared to others on here.

But I think if Oklahoma doesn’t win or play for the national championship next year then they probably won’t for the foreseeable future.
Many are touting OU's defensive improvement. I know nothing about that but that's what many in the national media are saying.

I too am bullish on Alabama thinking the D could be special and that Young and the WRs will come through. If the DL can get meaningful pressure from Smith and Ray, who both hold promise, everything else looks solid or better on D. The OL and running game should be good or better, hoping that B. Robinson is not relied on too heavily as there is more talent among the others, though his quickness improved perceptively this year vs the past.

buckeyeFB_

3rd Team
Jun 24, 2019
Many are touting OU's defensive improvement. I know nothing about that but that's what many in the national media are saying.

I too am bullish on Alabama thinking the D could be special and that Young and the WRs will come through. If the DL can get meaningful pressure from Smith and Ray, who both hold promise, everything else looks solid or better on D. The OL and running game should be good or better, hoping that B. Robinson is not relied on too heavily as there is more talent among the others, though his quickness improved perceptively this year vs the past.
I think your run game might actually be even better in 2021 because, if I'm not mistaken, you return 3 starters on the O-line (if you count Owens) and Young adds a threat in the run game. I also, as an Ohio State fan, thought that Robinson looked REALLY good against us...I even remember Herbstriet commenting on him during the game saying he was a "beast" and I would agree based on what I saw. I know you guys also got a couple really good runningbacks in your 2020 class plus Wheaton in the 2021 class.

As far as OU's defensive improvement...I think we should just wait to see what they can do against a great offense, despite what the media may say. Statistically, they did improve. However, the best offense they played was Florida without their top-4 receivers. Oklahoma's base defense is a 3-3-5 nickel look, and that will absolutely not work against an O-line like Bama or Ohio State. Oklahoma doesn't have the talent from top-to-bottom to run that defense successfully against top-tier offensive lines.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama

Oklahoma regressed in 2020. So next year would be the first year to improve if they're on that trajectory. They played better as the year went on, but that's easier to do when you crap the bed and don't have pressure anymore.

They are not better than Georgia defensively.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I think great defense has become very subjective. Everyone says Georgia has a great defense but they constantly get blasted by a good to great offense, and people constantly say we have a bad defense but we are running away with SEC and National Championships while making good offenses look bad.

Personally I do feel this maybe Oklahoma’s last chance. But ultimately I think Alabama, Ohio St, or Georgia are probably going to win it.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.