Who’s leading QB1 race in Spring practice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joefus

1st Team
Jan 3, 2021
Bright side is even if this pawl stuff was as true as he’s making it to be it just means we’ll actually have to run it next year. And if we can’t then let’s get a new online coach. I’m tired of watching teams do more with less

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
He had the physical ability to be a 4 time playoff MVP with stats that were pretty incredible in those games.

Physical ability or not, his performance in the playoffs was certainly elite.

The only big game that he didn't play well in was the SEC championship a couple years ago, which he more than made up for in the playoffs that season.

I guess I just have a different view of what elite means in college for a QB.

I'd consider any QB who was a 4 time playoff MVP with back to back national titles elite at the college level.
If UGA didn’t have that defense, he wins none of those MVPs. So if the reason you win is because of 11 guys on your defense, he’s not elite.

If he was elite, he’s be in person at the NFL draft.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
He was the MVP of all the playoff games in the last two years.

You know, how like Bryce was the MVP of the Cotton Bowl this year.

They name an MVP of the playoff games.

Bennett was the MVP of all the playoff games he played in.

And if Joe Flacco had been the MVP of two straight AFC Championship games and MVP of back to back Super Bowls I think many would consider that elite.

My guess would be that no one considers Flacco elite because he didn't do enough in his career for anyone to consider him elite.
What’s funny. Is that if Jameson doesn’t go down, Bama wins and Bryce is MVP. Bennett likely loses the starting job the next year….

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
He is not right but sure can ruffle the feathers. We can win with all the QBs we have on the roster right now and the winner of the race in the Fall for QB1 will get the job done nicely. We are giving Milroe plenty of opportunity to get the job due to his uncanny athleticism and speed but we have 3 dudes behind him that can absolutely spin it. We gone be aight.
No, this is clearly the end of Alabama football as we know it. We don’t have a single good QB on the roster and not a single one of them is going to be able to improve between now and September. Hope y’all liked the ride boys, because it’s over.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
The quality of my life has improved dramatically since I stopped watching, listening to, or reading anything PF has to say. He is perfect proof that our culture will listen to anyone, no matter how uninformed they may be, as long as they act like they know something. As far as I'm concerned he's just a "house" Cowherd...

Bama9001

1st Team
Sep 26, 2017
Last fall we couldn't settle on which receivers to play and ended up in a situation where Bryce never developed the needed chemistry with any set of receivers...at least until the damage was already done. Right now I fear we'll have the same problem settling on a QB this year.

AWRTR

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2022
Last fall we couldn't settle on which receivers to play and ended up in a situation where Bryce never developed the needed chemistry with any set of receivers...at least until the damage was already done. Right now I fear we'll have the same problem settling on a QB this year.
New sheriff in town on the offensive side of the ball. I think you can throw out the concerns like that from last year. Not saying everything will be roses, but Rees and CNS will settle on a guy. Just let the process workout and expect rotation for the first game to see who responds under pressure if not from the other team but from the completion to perform and win the job.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
If Finebaum is thinking of recent history with Tua, Mac, and Bryce and saying our current top 2 QB's don't compare with those guys he may be correct, but Milroe or Simpson could turn out to be good enough. A team like Michigan didn't have stellar QB's and made it to the playoff the past two seasons and Georgia won 2 straight championships without a stellar QB. I don't care what Bennett's stats were last season he's still not stellar IMO since I doubt he has any future in the NFL. If we can get back to putting a Top 5 defense on the field then we can get by without a stellar QB.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
to quote Allen Iverson "we talkin bout practice."
When someone is running at you to rough you up and dislodge the ball, QBs will show what they have under pressure. Last year whether it was fair or not. Milroe didn't play well under pressure. We can handel our guys with kid gloves, but opposing teams will go after them from first play till last, unless the QB hurts them with passes. It will be like last year when every team came after our QB, except we have guys who haven't been under pressure yet. That's why we go into the season with both.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
This might help whoever ends up being QB1.
Alabama's OL rallying behind mindset of 'Run the dadgum ball'
I like the attitude I'm hearing from the O-line. Talking about it is one thing. Going out and doing it is another.
(In my best Yoda voice), "There is no say. There is only do."
But, yeah, if the O-line can impose their will on the d-lines they face, and can consistently pick up 3rd and 3 running the ball, that takes a lot of pressure off a first year starting QB.

Last edited:

AWRTR

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2022
I like the attitude I'm hearing from the O-line. Talking about it is one thing. Going out and doing it is another.
But, yeah, if the O-line can impose their will on the d-lines they face, and can consistently pick up 3rd and 3 running the ball, that takes a lot of pressure off a first year starting QB.
The Bible says love covers a multitude of sins. Football 101 says a great O-line will cover up average skill players. Amen!!!

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I agree that it's one thing to talk about changing a culture, and another thing entirely to actually do it. Pancake Posse, anyone?

Still, wanting to change is the first step, and we haven't heard anything like this for some time. I don't expect a 2012-type OL, but I am hopeful that the days of 3rd and 2 being a passing down are over.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Jahquez Robinson jumped into the portal as per AL.com. Thought he was pushing for major playing time.
Robinson would probably be starting (or in the 2 deep) for any other team in the SEC. We have been recruiting at such an elite level for such a long time that it is just really hard to get on the field for some of these very good football players. I wish Jahquez all the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.