Question: Why does our OC not send Milroe in to run the wildcat?

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I would love to see Milroe used like UGA uses Bowers. Move him around - TE, H back, WR - and find ways to get the ball in his hands in space. He's big, strong, and fast. We should find a way to get that talent on the field.

But that would require having an imagination. Not our strong suit on offense of late.
Agree we don't show much imagination lately.

The optimistic side of me thinks JM might be used like you are describing since we know he's fast and strong and a good athlete.

But the realist in me wonders how often this kind of thing works? Can he catch? We know he can run fast, but can he zig and zag and be elusive? Is he a good route runner? Can he read the secondary/lb? So many intangibles to consider and we've recruited other high profile athletes to play these positions too. Could he switch from backup QB and be better than those guys who already know most of these things?

I think this is why position changes don't happen very often at this level IMO.

Reactions: seebell

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I would love to see Milroe used like UGA uses Bowers. Move him around - TE, H back, WR - and find ways to get the ball in his hands in space. He's big, strong, and fast. We should find a way to get that talent on the field.

But that would require having an imagination. Not our strong suit on offense of late.
It would also require JM agreeing to swap positions. I have no idea if he'd embrace that role or not, just pointing out JM has a say in it as well.

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
It would also require JM agreeing to swap positions. I have no idea if he'd embrace that role or not, just pointing out JM has a say in it as well.
Agreed. And as BamaMoon stated, he may not be suited for that role. He looks impressing and we know he's fast. But can he run routes, get separation, or catch the ball? That we don't know. Just spitballing here.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011

I don't think milroe would be nearly the match up challenge Bowers is.

Milroe is 6'2", and 212lbs.

Bowers is 6'4" and 230lbs.

Milroe is likely faster since the coaches said he was the second fastest on our squad, but his measurables would put him closer to being a slightly bigger Jamar Gibbs than he is to Bowers, and we know Gibbs is faster and more explosive, so would we want to take game reps away from a guy like Gibbs to give them to Milroe? It's not like Milroe could take reps from Latu in any set that might result in a run where the TE had to block.

• Thank You

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn
From all I know about Milroe he's a really great person and will do his dead level best at whatever "THE TEAM" needs from him. Someone posted prior to the bowl game that he was lining up at receiver during practice but, as expected, we didn't see that in the game. IIRC during the Hurts-Tua phase people were saying Jalen should convert to TE. We all see how that turned out. IMO at this point Milroe could be a contributor as a wide receiver, TE or even RB if he so chooses to stay at Alabama but the level and minutes of play depends on many factors with the roster as it is now. We'll have a much better idea of his role after spring practice and portal moves.
This >>

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I look at it this way, if he is willing to be a Taysom Hill utility knife guy, then you can use him in Punt formation as protection, as an H-Back, on an end around -- and always have to worry that he's capable of throwing out of those formations -- then he would be truly a lethal addition to the offense.

That dude is making $10M/year -- so....there is that

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Doubt it has ever been repped in practice. And that starts with CNS.
In the world where practice time is limited there are a finite number of reps that can done. SHould we do stuff like this to try out Milroe like this or focus the reps on the plays we have to execute to win any given week.

AWRTR

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2022
I don't think milroe would be nearly the match up challenge Bowers is.

Milroe is 6'2", and 212lbs.

Bowers is 6'4" and 230lbs.

Milroe is likely faster since the coaches said he was the second fastest on our squad, but his measurables would put him closer to being a slightly bigger Jamar Gibbs than he is to Bowers, and we know Gibbs is faster and more explosive, so would we want to take game reps away from a guy like Gibbs to give them to Milroe? It's not like Milroe could take reps from Latu in any set that might result in a run where the TE had to block.
dear Lord he can’t be 6’2 212. I’m 6’2” 209 and that guy is jacked. I’m not in bad shape and workout regularly, but this guy is a monster. His arms are huge and he has some thick quads. I saw him in person at a game during warmups and he looks way bigger. I would say he’s more in the 235 range. That muscle weighs something and he has plenty to go around. Kid has be impressive in the weight room.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
dear Lord he can’t be 6’2 212. I’m 6’2” 209 and that guy is jacked. I’m not in bad shape and workout regularly, but this guy is a monster. His arms are huge and he has some thick quads. I saw him in person at a game during warmups and he looks way bigger. I would say he’s more in the 235 range. That muscle weighs something and he has plenty to go around. Kid has be impressive in the weight room.
It's certainly possible he's bigger, but that's his roster height and weight. 212 is the same listed weight as Roydell and Jase, and they are both built like tanks as well. All three very likely have bodyfat in the low single digits also.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
It's a difficult situation. I'm sure he wants to be QB and with the right kind of offense and coaching, I'd bet he would be brilliant. I'm not sure that would translate to the NFL though.

If willing to move positions, I do believe he would develop an NFL career. But he has to be willing to do that. It's not an easy ask or decision at all.
He`s too good of an athlete to squander by playing out of position or not at all. Once the new OC comes in ( please, God ! ), I hope there`s a concerted effort to get this kid on the field. Otherwise, I think he may be portal bound.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
That is an old article. What we saw in game situations is more current. He needs more practice. I hope he gets there. He would be super man if he was an efficient passer. I’m all for it.
Saban's statement - encouraged by the progress, is the only worthwhile nugget in that entire article.

that said - agree Milroe needs to put in a lot of work. I don't think it's just practice either. he'll really have to get with a dedicated QB coach and put in a lot of work outside of practices to get where he needs to be.

Reactions: B1GTide

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.