Why Nebraska is a dead program, and probably will still be under Scott Frost

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I don't know the viewer statistics for the B1G Network, but if you are flipping around on Saturday afternoon are you going to watch the SEC big game or Nebraska vs Illinois? Nebraska has the good side of the draw in the B1G being in the west and not having to play tOSU, Michigan or Penn State every year. Wisconsin and Minnesota have upped their game and Iowa is always a potential loss, but those 3 are nowhere near the big 3 in the East.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I don't know the viewer statistics for the B1G Network, but if you are flipping around on Saturday afternoon are you going to watch the SEC big game or Nebraska vs Illinois? Nebraska has the good side of the draw in the B1G being in the west and not having to play tOSU, Michigan or Penn State every year. Wisconsin and Minnesota have upped their game and Iowa is always a potential loss, but those 3 are nowhere near the big 3 in the East.
I guess it would depend on which SEC game.

I'd probably take the B1G game over anything involving Vandy (save for us) or maybe MSU-Kentucky (though I did watch that one when it aired on CBS in 2014).

SEC TEAMS I WON'T WATCH UNLESS THE GAME IS INTERESTING/RELEVANT
Auburn
Kentucky
Missouri
South Carolina
Vanderbilt

Reactions: Con and B1GTide

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
The only way you're going to see a Nebraska national championship any time soon is to go look it up on Youtube and watch a replay.

Their situation is similar to Tennessee, yes, but even Tennessee has a reasonable chance to return to prominence, being so close to all the talent in the Southeast US. Yes, other teams would have to fall apart, but even Nebraska wouldn't even be benefited by that. Alabama, Auburn, Clemson, Florida, Georgia, and LSU could all implode and southern talent still wouldn't have Nebraska listed in their top 10 choices.

Reactions: selmaborntidefan

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.

I'd probably take the B1G game over anything involving Vandy (save for us) or maybe MSU-Kentucky (though I did watch that one when it aired on CBS in 2014).

Auburn
Kentucky
Missouri
South Carolina
Vanderbilt
I'll take Phat Phil and his band of Orange Julius' for $200 Alex...

• Haha
Reactions: selmaborntidefan

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

Auburn
Kentucky
Missouri
South Carolina
Vanderbilt
The one thing the BIG 10 has over the SEC is their TV setup. Most crap games are 11 am kicks and Fox is obligated to take many double headers. ESPN and ABC get a choice of Prime matchups as well. The SEC is handcuffed by CBS every week.

More or less, unless it is a traditional time slot like Ohio State and Michigan at 11 am then you are going to earn your time slot and channel in the B1G.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
The only way you're going to see a Nebraska national championship any time soon is to go look it up on Youtube and watch a replay.

Their situation is similar to Tennessee, yes, but even Tennessee has a reasonable chance to return to prominence, being so close to all the talent in the Southeast US. Yes, other teams would have to fall apart, but even Nebraska wouldn't even be benefited by that. Alabama, Auburn, Clemson, Florida, Georgia, and LSU could all implode and southern talent still wouldn't have Nebraska listed in their top 10 choices.
I agree with this. I mean, Tennessee can at least recruit places like Atlanta and Memphis, etc. Nebraska had a shrinking pool of what was available further reduced by their leaving the Big 12, combined with the horrible winter weather (that you certainly don't have to that extent in Knoxville).

Reactions: TideEngineer08

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
The one thing the BIG 10 has over the SEC is their TV setup. Most crap games are 11 am kicks and Fox is obligated to take many double headers. ESPN and ABC get a choice of Prime matchups as well. The SEC is handcuffed by CBS every week.

More or less, unless it is a traditional time slot like Ohio State and Michigan at 11 am then you are going to earn your time slot and channel in the B1G.
Here's some fun for ya, and I mean it. In fact, I'll bet you've done it.

Go to a sports bar in one of these Midwestern states in November and tune in one of the Big Ten games. I was in Minnesota last fall (for the Duluth lights) and went to a sports bar alongside Lake Superior. Fans - not really all that different from here - and tuned in to (admittedly a good game) the Ohio State-Penn State game, which ran concurrent with the Minnesota-Northwestern game on another channel.

They were knowledgeable fans, loved the game about as much as southerners, mostly Minnesota fans of course, but they knew something else: "I think Ohio State is our only chance at beating Alabama, if they get into the playoff."

They basically assumed we WOULD beat Auburn, even with Tua down. It was pretty cool.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I agree with this. I mean, Tennessee can at least recruit places like Atlanta and Memphis, etc. Nebraska had a shrinking pool of what was available further reduced by their leaving the Big 12, combined with the horrible winter weather (that you certainly don't have to that extent in Knoxville).
Nebraska really was the alternate for Texas and Oklahoma in the State of Texas, and they pretty much had their pick of Missouri and Colorado recruits. But with them leaving to the Big 10, CU leaving to PAC 12, and MO to the SEC it really has locked Nebraska into Iowa recruits. Iowa has a solid recruiting base within the state, and Nebraska is going to have a difficult time getting the prized recruits.

Reactions: TideEngineer08

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Here's some fun for ya, and I mean it. In fact, I'll bet you've done it.

Go to a sports bar in one of these Midwestern states in November and tune in one of the Big Ten games. I was in Minnesota last fall (for the Duluth lights) and went to a sports bar alongside Lake Superior. Fans - not really all that different from here - and tuned in to (admittedly a good game) the Ohio State-Penn State game, which ran concurrent with the Minnesota-Northwestern game on another channel.

They were knowledgeable fans, loved the game about as much as southerners, mostly Minnesota fans of course, but they knew something else: "I think Ohio State is our only chance at beating Alabama, if they get into the playoff."

They basically assumed we WOULD beat Auburn, even with Tua down. It was pretty cool.
Yeah Midwesterners are fun to have a brew with.... as long as they aren't from Nebraska. Typically Minnesota, Iowa, and Wisconsin folks are great people to tailgate with. They are serious enough to have pride in their teams, but aren't tormented if they lose a shot a national championship like we are. Nebraska fans still think they are a sleeping giant that is ready to be woken up and run college football again, they take things very serious and take it very hard when they lose.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Yeah Midwesterners are fun to have a brew with.... as long as they aren't from Nebraska. Typically Minnesota, Iowa, and Wisconsin folks are great people to tailgate with. They are serious enough to have pride in their teams, but aren't tormented if they lose a shot a national championship like we are. Nebraska fans still think they are a sleeping giant that is ready to be woken up and run college football again, they take things very serious and take it very hard when they lose.
I can buy that. Except for MAYBE Iowa, those other states have things to do besides pull corn. Minnesota and Wisky tend to have some pretty good college hockey teams (UMD is almost the Alabama of college hockey, three national titles since 2011, including the last two), and there are some beautiful places in both states.

Seriously - when the football team is no good, WHAT is there to do in Nebraska? The dumbest clown in my ALS class at Little Rock was from (wait for it) Nebraska. I gave a speech on sexual harassment, and when I finished, he said (not making this up) that, "I'm just a simple farm boy from Nebraska, and you wuz using words that I don't what they mean" while critiquing my speech.

And oh yeah, he was the CLASS LEADER because he was something like a 31-year old SrA.....

I think I used 2 or 3 with more than 2 syllables......

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I can buy that. Except for MAYBE Iowa, those other states have things to do besides pull corn. Minnesota and Wisky tend to have some pretty good college hockey teams (UMD is almost the Alabama of college hockey, three national titles since 2011, including the last two), and there are some beautiful places in both states.

Seriously - when the football team is no good, WHAT is there to do in Nebraska? The dumbest clown in my ALS class at Little Rock was from (wait for it) Nebraska. I gave a speech on sexual harassment, and when I finished, he said (not making this up) that, "I'm just a simple farm boy from Nebraska, and you wuz using words that I don't what they mean" while critiquing my speech.

And oh yeah, he was the CLASS LEADER because he was something like a 31-year old SrA.....

I think I used 2 or 3 with more than 2 syllables......
Well you are also talking about a group of people that desperately try to make Wisconsin their chief rival because they think Iowa isn't worthy. Really besides the same color arrangement, what does Wisconsin and Nebraska have in common? Wisconsin fans are seriously peeved that Barry Alveraz indulged the shuckers in their crusade to make Wisconsin-Nebraska a rivalry. Alveraz's reasoning... " We need another trophy game".

But I kinda lump Iowa, Kansas, and Nebraska into the same group. Oklahoma, Colorado, and Missouri try to distance themselves from being compared to those states for a reason.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
Well you are also talking about a group of people that desperately try to make Wisconsin their chief rival because they think Iowa isn't worthy. Really besides the same color arrangement, what does Wisconsin and Nebraska have in common? Wisconsin fans are seriously peeved that Barry Alveraz indulged the shuckers in their crusade to make Wisconsin-Nebraska a rivalry. Alveraz's reasoning... " We need another trophy game".

But I kinda lump Iowa, Kansas, and Nebraska into the same group. Oklahoma, Colorado, and Missouri try to distance themselves from being compared to those states for a reason.
How bad off are you when Missouri thinks you're the red-headed step-child?!?🤣

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
How bad off are you when Missouri thinks you're the red-headed step-child?!?🤣
Missouri really isn't a bad state. It has two huge cities and a lot of good scenery in the Ozarks. It also has Branson. Its kinda like Tennessee in some ways.

Nebraska is one huge city, and 80% of the population living in a 45 minute radius. Literally after you hit Lincoln and go west there is nothing to look at for 8 hours until you hit the Colorado border.

Kansas is worse than Nebraska because there literally is nothing to look at, and is flatter than a pancake. It is literally a place where folks too plump to hunt in the rest of the country go to hunt.

Iowa out of the three is the best state, but that isn't saying much

But really the people of those 3 states are about the same in general. They think they are the best states in the union, look down on the South, hate Texas, and really believe they are the best kept secret in America. I will say that Omaha, Des Moines, and Dubuque are nice places to go, but it doesn't make up for the rest of what those states are.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.