Why Sark will succeed at Texas/Why Sark won't succeed at Texas/Your prediction

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I watched Sark's press conference today as the Longhorns' head coach. Not a bad opening pressor other than the Crimson Tide accented tie and jacket he was wearing. I'm sure the diehards of Tessez noticed that and brought up on their message boards. I got a good laugh. I guess he didn't have time to stop and get the appropriate colored suit.

The thread is just what the title states:

Why Sark will succeed at Texas

Why Sark won't succeed at Texas

What will really happen (your personal prediction on his career at Texas)

READY.SET.GOOOOO!

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
He'll be good - better than most - but won't win the NC at TX. Too much external involvement and Sark doesn't have the gravitas to stop it, imo.

I (generally speaking) wish him well, but unless / until TX gets their act together wrt booster involvement and such, it's an uphill battle...

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
I think he will be very successful. I just hope there is ONE particular team that beats him in 2022 and 2023. RTR! Based on a Austin American-Statesman article, looks like he will be CALLING HIS OWN plays and not delegating that to an OC and we know he's EXCELLENT at calling plays. Now, his Defensive Coordinator may need to be very GOOD to keep the other team from scoring as much as the Horn Offense does.

I think he will be very successful because he will be effective in recruiting Texas and maybe even the Left Coast. Who would not want to play for such an OFFENSIVE genius. QB's will be developed. RB's who can catch passes will sign with Texas. WR's will want to play for him. He will recruit OL that can BLOCK in his Offense. Alabama may even lose recruits from Texas because of Coach Sark. He will DEVELOP the players that he RECRUITS. Hmmmmmm. Which Coach will be the OFFENSIVE genius in the Big 12: Oklahoma's or Texas' or BOTH?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I’ll say this... Texas will be a legitimate threat in the Big XII and they will probably take Oklahoma down a peg, but I don’t know how much of a threat in the playoffs they will be. I can see Sark bringing them to the playoffs but I feel boosters are too much to overcome to expect more. But I feel Sark would jump from Texas if he was offered a job at Bama, Clemson, or Ohio St.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Sark will succeed because he will be able to get comparable or better offensive players than OU. Last night's championship game and the Bama offense was reference A LOT and ask about A LOT in his pressor. All but said they will run a very similar style. Resources, donor and university has a bottomless pit of money to give Sark anything money can buy to boost recruiting, facilities, staff pay etc. Sark referenced "putting the players first" and "his main priority". Well, he's got the money available to him to do just that. He will hire one of the best staffs in the country and within three years will win the Big 12 and by year four will make an appearance in the CFP

Sark will not succeed because he will remember being a head coach is much different than being coordinator. The time he wants to spend with the offense is interrupted by simply running the Longhorn program. Recruiting improves but isn't able to get over the hump and match the talent that keeps going to OU, and loses a few top offensive recruits to his old boss, Saban. Sark isn't able to put the same potent offense on the field as he did at Alabama. As one writer tweeted during last night's game "Sark won't have these shiny toys at Texas", referring to the amount of talent on the offensive side of the ball. Boosters get very impatient and begin to meddle. Their early success plateaus out around year five, where he ends up never winning the Big 12 and never makes an appearance in the CFP

What I think will happen- Sark turns Texas around offensively and has them competing with OU for the Big 12 championship. Unfortunately, as Audio said, he will never win a NC at Texas. I don't think he will have the overall recruiting prowess of Saban, who is able to recruit absolute freaks of nature on BOTH sides of the ball. I also do not think he will be able to recruit the quality depth throughout the entire team Saban does. Then you have the boosters. They are and always have been, too involved. Which will ultimately get in Sarks' way.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
Why he would: has a decent staff, doesn't have to leave texas to get the players he need for his system. Has a good chance of eventually winning the big 12.
Why he wont: texas will get in his way

I want him to be successful, just wish he would have waited for another power 5 job. Methinks Michigan will most likely be open in the next 2 years. :)

OSUTideFan

All-American
Dec 17, 2019
Indiana
It’s worth considering the Urban Meyer saga too. He probably figured that the boosters would be too meddlesome and declined their $10m/yr offer because he presumably wouldn’t have had the autonomy he requires to coach effectively. It all comes down to the Texas situation: too many cooks in the kitchen - ruining the meal.

Reactions: Padreruf

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Sark will succeed because he will be able to get comparable or better offensive players than OU. Last night's championship game and the Bama offense was reference A LOT and ask about A LOT in his pressor. All but said they will run a very similar style. Resources, donor and university has a bottomless pit of money to give Sark anything money can buy to boost recruiting, facilities, staff pay etc. Sark referenced "putting the players first" and "his main priority". Well, he's got the money available to him to do just that. He will hire one of the best staffs in the country and within three years will win the Big 12 and by year four will make an appearance in the CFP

Sark will not succeed because he will remember being a head coach is much different than being coordinator. The time he wants to spend with the offense is interrupted by simply running the Longhorn program. Recruiting improves but isn't able to get over the hump and match the talent that keeps going to OU, and loses a few top offensive recruits to his old boss, Saban. Sark isn't able to put the same potent offense on the field as he did at Alabama. As one writer tweeted during last night's game "Sark won't have these shiny toys at Texas", referring to the amount of talent on the offensive side of the ball. Boosters get very impatient and begin to meddle. Their early success plateaus out around year five, where he ends up never winning the Big 12 and never makes an appearance in the CFP

What I think will happen- Sark turns Texas around offensively and has them competing with OU for the Big 12 championship. Unfortunately, as Audio said, he will never win a NC at Texas. I don't think he will have the overall recruiting prowess of Saban, who is able to recruit absolute freaks of nature on BOTH sides of the ball. I also do not think he will be able to recruit the quality depth throughout the entire team Saban does. Then you have the boosters. They are and always have been, too involved. Which will ultimately get in Sarks' way.
I think @selmaborntidefan can probably echo this point but Texas doesn’t care as much about NC’s as they let on. They care about beating Oklahoma and promoting Texas superiority more than anything else. To me they are like Michigan in that they care about something that really amounts to shooting for the Silver instead of the Gold.

If Sark can own the City of Dallas (RRR and BIG XII CCG) then Texas will view him as a savior of Texas and proclaim Texas is back.

deltatider

1st Team
Nov 29, 2005
He’ll be dangerous there. He’s hired some really good recruiters from what I can tell. So he will have some players. And in my opinion I’ve never a more dangerous offensive mind than what he’s displayed while with Bama. Yeah he had great players but he was ridiculous in how he used that talent and the play designs he came up with. We heard what Lane said about wishing it wasn’t Sark on our sideline that night because Lane and I are in agreement that they probably win that one with anyone else calling plays that night. All that said he could be scary with all the resources at his disposal. But as everyone has mentioned above, those resources come with a steep price. The booster involvement...I lived in Texas for a while and it is a bit different there...most Texans in general certainly give themselves the benefit of the doubt in most all situations... but they are good folks for the most part. But there’s only so many masters you can serve and I’m not sure how well sark will be able to manage that whole deal. It’s the true wildcard for him and his overall success.

Reactions: Padreruf

BrotherOfBear

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 28, 2006
Backwoods, AL
Reasons he should succeed: He is on the cutting edge of offensive game planning; relates extremely well to players; knows how to develop players, maximizing their skill sets; should win a sizeable amount of top recruiting battles in Texas plus pull top recruits out of the west coast. Given a couple of recruiting cycles and I could see the talent disparity between Texas and Alabama being insignificant. Texas also has every bit of the financial resources Bama does and then some.

Reasons he will not succeed: The shortest leash in college football courtesy of an impatient, deep pocket alumni who aren't all totally behind the Sark hire. If he stumbles he might have no hope to get back up. Also, to date, not a single Saban disciple has figured out how to beat Saban even once.

I have absolutely loved seeing Texas football in the dumps for the last decade and the little step-child (Texas A&M) get the upper-hand on them in Texas but I really would love to see Sark do well. He did Bama right and was faithful all the way through. Plus he defeated his demons. His story is a Disney movie in the making.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
If the boosters and money men stay out of football day to day things yes, if they keep running the program as they have he will fail as will any coach. To win the HC has to be the only guy calling shots, period end of story. LOOK at the winners in college, the HC is the top dog not a booster or millionaire alumni. Just look to auburn to see how not to run a college football program. A winner has one leader, any more and you are not a winner.

VirginiaTide57

All-American
Jan 19, 2005
Fredericksburg, Virginia
why he will - he's grown/matured since his previous head coaching days. he does have a track record.
why he won't - being a successful coordinator doesn't automatically translate into being a national championship winning coach (see Kirby, Pruitt, etc)
my fear - the evilness that is Texas will overwhelm

Toddrn

All-American
Nov 29, 2006
Woodstock, Ga
The first thing he needs to learn to do is say NO. When boosters come calling he needs to let them know his focus is on football. If he does this and wins the boosters will back off because they will get what they want. A winning team. The big question is will he be the first Saban assistant to beat the GOAT?

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA

Do you think if he does well at Texas (even though does not win a championship), after 6-8 years or so or whenever Saban is not able to coach, that Sark would come back to Bama if Saban wanted him to succeed him? If he does pretty well at Texas, I can see that... depending on the timing. He may enjoy living in Austin by then, however. I heard it is a great place to live. I personally think Saban will coach until he physically or mentally can't.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Let's see the staff that he builds first. He can coach QBs, WRs and run an offense, but he will need someone to coach all other positions and run his defense for him.

It starts with recruits - he can get them in Texas. With the right coaches he can develop them. And if he wins, the boosters will let him do his thing.

IMO, the boosters only become a problem if he is not having success by the end of year 2, but we will see.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
From what I have seen the UT situation needs a disciplinary over haul...for starters. Just like CNS did here...get rid of the hanger ons, close practices, and change the environment beginning with workouts all the way through. How many players and other persons buy into that will determine how successful he is building the program. I'm not sure he's enough of a "Sorry.Old.Baptist." to do that. JP is trying to do this at UT and he's seen how tough it really is. The question is not what the team looks like in years 1-2. The question is what they look like in year 3 and going forward. There's the rub...

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I think @selmaborntidefan can probably echo this point but Texas doesn’t care as much about NC’s as they let on. They care about beating Oklahoma and promoting Texas superiority more than anything else. To me they are like Michigan in that they care about something that really amounts to shooting for the Silver instead of the Gold.

If Sark can own the City of Dallas (RRR and BIG XII CCG) then Texas will view him as a savior of Texas and proclaim Texas is back.

There's a LOT of truth to this.

Texas really is the "Michigan of Southern football" in almost every way possible.

You know what you're getting at Alabama - it's national title or bust. At Mississippi State, it's "let's win 9 or 10 games, beat Ole Miss, and go to a really good bowl game." Texas falls somewhere between these two "extremes of acceptability," and if you were to give the average Texas fan sodium pentothal with a polygraph, the TEXpectations are:

a) beat Oklahoma
b) win the conference title
c) be the superior team within the borders of the state of Texas

The one thing that separates Michigan from Texas is the fact that Michigan doesn't have a bunch of oil millionaires all trying to micro-manage the program. But I figured Michigan out way back in 1993, when they lost a close early season game to Notre Dame. They'd lost the game - a big rivalry back then - and they were calm and docile about the defeat. Why? Well, because (and I'm generically quoting SEVERAL of their players) - "since it wasn't a conference game, we can still go to the Rose Bowl".

I just rolled my eyes at that one. "Hey, we're up against it on the national title in week 2, but WE CAN STILL GO TO THE ROSE BOWL, which is why I came to Michigan." And their playing for a tie in November 1992 against Illinois was when I laughed as Beano Cook lambasted Lee Corso with, "That's why the Big 10 is a mediocre conference, they think the Rose Bowl is the Holy Grail". In context, the fact was Michigan at the time was ranked #3, undefeated (with a tie), and played for a tie against Illinois with a chance to win.

That's basically Texas right there. Texas pulled the same thing in 1984, when they went for a field goal and an intentional tie against Oklahoma while ranked #1 in the country.

I figure Sark is going to run into the same problems every other coach has confronted at Texas. The ONE GUY who succeeded (Mack Brown) did so largely because he confronted the problem of racism in recruiting. Prior to Mack, MANY HS coaches of prominent black high schools in TX wanted nothing to do with UT football. So for all the bashing he has received here (almost all of it 100% justified), he did confront a major reality, which is why UT won the 2005 national title.

But Sark is going to run into the problem of "you have to play my boy because I'm a prominent donor to the school." You see, the big thing with that is every single one of these ninnies thinks "my boy" (not necessarily a child - maybe a prominent player from a HS the donor knows) should be in the NFL and you should give him this chance.

For those who don't recall - the Chris Sims/Major Applewhite tiff in 2001 is a prime example of one case of what is a constant thing at TX but that one broke into the news because it was part of the Chris Sims strategy.

I suspect Sark will "succeed" in winning more games than Herman or Strong did but fail in the larger picture and come back to Alabama in four years as an OC and implied "head coach in waiting."

Reactions: TideEngineer08

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.