Why was TN Non TD Pass not Reviewable?

single wing1

Suspended
Oct 11, 2005
I did not understand the rule explanation. I hope this never happens to us!! Hope someone on the Rules Committee was watching.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
It was reviewable, but TN went fast and they didn't get another look before the ball was snapped

UAinAthens

Scout Team
Jul 5, 2001
gmail.com
In the past, any play stopped when it was blown dead. Anything that would happen after that cannot be addressed. There is even the caveat to the rule on fumbles. If replay shows it was a fumble and their was a clear recovery, you can award it correctly, but if, for example, it was returned, the ball would be placed at the location of the recovery. The Barn has already been helped win a game because of this. When they spiked the ball against Ark, it was a lateral, but it was blown dead. That creates another example in my mind about the SEC office cleaning up for official's messes after the fact. Supposedly it couldn't be overturned because of the whistle, but the correct response would have been to declare the ball dead at the point of the spike and at least back them up to the point of the fumble. Instead at the game the ruled it as called.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Yes. He blew it dead and spotted the ball around the 27 yard line. The CBS "expert" said it was too far from the end zone to award the receiver a TD.
The "expert" said that, but I am unaware of any rule that says, "if the refs blow the play dead and it is only 19 yards day from the TD, then the TD is awarded."
I think distance from the goal line is irrelevant.
What is relevant is blowing the play dead. Refs screwed the pooch blowing the play dead. That cannot be reviewed.
It didn't matter since they scored on the next play, but the refs messed up blowing the play dead when they did.
The "expert's" opinion was as relevant as if he had said, "No, the receiver did not step out of bounds, but the moon is in Sagittarius. Therefore ..."

Reactions: CB4 and B1GTide

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I love that you guys are objective enough to see that this was a bad call even though it helped Alabama. Sure, they scored on the next play, but when it happened that was not a known and you guys were all over it before that happened.

Roll Tide!

bama_fan01

Hall of Fame
Aug 25, 2003
Ranburne, AL, USA
The "expert" said that, but I am unaware of any rule that says, "if the refs blow the play dead and it is only 19 yards day from the TD, then the TD is awarded."
I think distance from the goal line is irrelevant.
What is relevant is blowing the play dead. Refs screwed the pooch blowing the play dead. That cannot be reviewed.
It didn't matter since they scored on the next play, but the refs messed up blowing the play dead when they did.
The "expert's" opinion was as relevant as if he had said, "No, the receiver did not step out of bounds, but the moon is in Sagittarius. Therefore ..."
I completely agree. I never said the "expert" (note the quotation marks, in both posts - included for sarcasm) was right, just that was what he said. The best thing to do would have been to let the play go to the end, then review to see if the receiver stepped out of bounds or not.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I completely agree. I never said the "expert" (note the quotation marks, in both posts - included for sarcasm) was right, just that was what he said. The best thing to do would have been to let the play go to the end, then review to see if the receiver stepped out of bounds or not.
Yep. You and i are in complete agreement.
That is twice this year that an early whistle really screwed the pooch. The Barn vs. Arkie being even more egregious.

Reactions: bama_fan01

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.