Why we use Jameson Williams to return Kickoff

chuaner

Scout Team
Aug 26, 2008
Last year we lost Waddle in the middle of the season. Every Smitty's return later gave me a heart attack. I like Jameson's versatility. Yet do we have to put our No.1 receiver into this dangerous situation?

• Smash Keyboard
Reactions: JustNeedMe81

chuaner

Scout Team
Aug 26, 2008
First, that is a typical slippery slope.

Second, I'd love to know your reaction last year when we lost Waddle. Mike Shula left Tyrone Protho in the game for a meaningless play and caused both him and Tyrone's career at Alabama. Eddie Jackson's loss may cost us a national champion.

Ask Jameson to return Kickoff in playoffs when we are trailing? Go for that. Play with Southern Miss, I'd think twice.

It's possible to get injured running out of the tunnel. Should we stop that too?

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
Just because a player got injured on a kick off return, doesn't mean others will. A player can suffer an injury on any play, and they do.

Maybe we should just stop playing altogether! Someone might get hurt.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
As fans we worry about these things. As players and coaches, they don't.

Williams is not just in on returns, he is also in on special teams defense. He knows that special teams play can take a guy from a day 2 draft pick to a 1st rounder. He is trying to have an impact wherever he can because he knows that it increases his value at the next level. Are we really going to tell him that he can't do that anymore because of our fears?

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Last year we lost Waddle in the middle of the season. Every Smitty's return later gave me a heart attack. I like Jameson's versatility. Yet do we have to put our No.1 receiver into this dangerous situation?

While I get it, we lost Donta Hightower, Vinnie Sunseri, and Eddie Jackson in the middle of the season, too, and others I'm sure if I sat and thought for a moment would come to mind. We once lost Jay Barker with several games remaining. We lost Brodie Croyle early in a season, too.

What are we gonna say? What's Saban gonna say?

"Hey, look Jameson, I know you do the best job, but I'd rather risk losing someone else" (gee, try explaining THAT one to the backup - "hey, if you get hurt, it's not that big a deal").

It's a delicate compromise. We can all agree the Prothro injury was next level stupid while allotting for other staff. Wasn't Waddle hurt on the opening kickoff? Not like he was returning the kick in a 45-0 blowout.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Yeah, but nobody could return punts like Hightower . . .
True but irrelevant.

The whole thing is "but someone might get injured."

It doesn't matter if you're out for the season on a kickoff return or out for the season because you stepped on a nail while doing construction work and got tetanus.

You're out for the season.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
First, that is a typical slippery slope.

Second, I'd love to know your reaction last year when we lost Waddle. Mike Shula left Tyrone Protho in the game for a meaningless play and caused both him and Tyrone's career at Alabama. Eddie Jackson's loss may cost us a national champion.

Ask Jameson to return Kickoff in playoffs when we are trailing? Go for that. Play with Southern Miss, I'd think twice.
I'll put it this way, I'm over sixty and do physical labor every day. I could get hurt anytime but I still show up very single day.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.